Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drop Down Mirrors for a '30 Coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jake Sippl, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I'm trying to find drop down side mirrors for my '30 5 window A. The only ones I can find are the door hinge mounted ones. Where do I find the drop down ones? Thanks in advance.

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you mean peep mirrors? Never heard of a drop down. Peep mirrors are the type that clamps over the door edge.

3. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats what I was talking about. I just didn't know what they were called. Here's a picture with what I'm looking for.

Attached Files:

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

eBay has more choices than you want...

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

awesome thanks!

6. Night Stalkers if they are still in business is also a good place.

As a last resort you could go with Speedway, but I wouldn't do that unless I had no other options.

7. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Anyone know if someone makes ones that bolt into the side of the car instead of on the top of the door? Just wondering

8. It's switchable.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Most of Them are several pieces that thread together, that's why if you look at a catalog you see extensions that just thread right on to make it extend further From the car. If you want it bolted to the car just don't thread on the door top section and instead drill a hole in the door and pop the threaded end threw. Put a bolt on and your done

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

I know "Beaner" hates Speedy Bills Chineese junk ( no, not his boat!), but I use 'em . Just drill a hole through the top of the door, and mount on a rubber pad with a shorter fine thread screw with a star washer from the inside. Boom. Done.

Attached Files:

pitman and da34guy like this.
  11. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So are you saying that if I buy the mirrors that go to the top of the door I can take that part that clamps off and just bolt them right into the door? Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

13. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

By the way I love the middle picture. Cheater slicks and the fact that it isn't chopped is awesome! Great car

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate peep mirrors. Fuckin ugly cliche' part slapped on everything from billet bullshit rods to the dreaded "R" rod. Doesn't matter how they're installed, I hate em. I know there comes a time when you need something for driving and safety, I get it. Sorry if I'm offending those who are fans of em, but yuk. "So what else?" you may ask, how about a 40 cowl mirror on the door? 2 bolts hold em on, nice curved neck, not seen on much and would probably look good. Then there's the single bolt swan mirrors that also mount on the lower part. A bit street roddy but better, and if you're willing to drill a hole in the top of the door hang em upside down.
    40 cowl mirror (from a google earch):
    [​IMG]
    Swan neck mirror (also google search):
    [​IMG]
    These 2 options beat the cliche' "peep" 6 ways to Sunday. Just my opinion and it's not my car, thought I'd throw some options out there for you and others. Again, no offense intended...

15. I removed the morrors door edge clamp, drilled a hole in the door edge inserted the bolt hole in the stem. Looks much cleaner! Also put stick on convex mirrors over the flat mirrors, works good with sedans, but ya gotta remember things are closer than they look! IMG_0191-001.JPG

16. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

no offense taken! those are some pretty sick mirrors! the way I see it is everyone's entitled to their own opinion.. the whole idea of hot rodding is making the car your own right??

17. I like swans myself. I actually had one on the pusher of all vehicles. I found it in a box of parts on the garage and it was perfect. ;)

18. I like the hinge mounts if you don't want to drill holes or chip paint with the clamp type mirrors. HRP

19. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I personally dig the look of the peeps. I just like the nostalgia of them. Plus it's a birthday present for my dad. We both bought the car and he has always wanted them from day one lol

20. Go for it! HRP