Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paining the rims body color or white

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 29, 2015.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The 55 Ford convertible in my avitar will be loosing the aluminum rims and going back to steel rims so I can put the bottle caps back on but I am having a hard time on the color,it originally came with the rims in the body color but I did have a couple white rims on while I was doing the body work and looked good so I need to make up my mind. I think I am going to have a local body shop paint them since its now getting colder and would be hard to keep the garage warm enough so I do not want to pay them twice,I have a friend who thinks I am nuts for taking them off but I am tired of polishing them plus all the new cars have them now so whats the big deal in having them these days and I like the simplicity of painted rims that are much easier to keep clean.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0811.JPG My 64 Biscayne with steel wheels I painted the body color and dog dish caps. Don't think white would have done it.

Gary

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think it would depend on if you're staying with the black walls or switching to white walls.
    Why not ask to have it photoshopped here before you decide.

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Either way would look nice, since it has a white top.

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Thought about taking them to be powder coated? Probably cost less than paint, hold up better, most colors can be matched these days. I also agree with Squirrel, either color would look good.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Body color with black or whitewalls...

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am staying with the black wall tires

9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I know you only asked about body color or white, a darker blue, black wall tires, dog dish type hub cap, thin trim ring..........but white would be kool too

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Chrome reverse! :D

11. vanilla or cream, white is too white

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

JYJ, you got that right when you said that "...all the new cars have them." When we were kids (and could tell the difference in makes a mile away) mag wheels and Keystone were the bomb, now....

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Not enough funds for chrome but had thought about them.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There are no steel rims and small caps available on new cars today and could be the same with trucks too.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

16. 327Eric

327Eric

I did the rums on my Aqua colored 59 Ranchero in rustoleum spray bomb white. I liked the look, but if you are going to have them professionally sprayed, you may want to consider the tone as suggested earlier. Too bright a white may kill the look.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I understand that problem, have it myself!

Most cars with steel wheels now have ugly plastic wheel covers. I have seen some base model pickups with gray steel wheels and center caps, but they are mostly ugly, too.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '56 Ford convert was white, white top. My steel wheels were black, with black tires, '60 Ford caps ("Blackjacks")
    Oversize rear tires and 6.40 fronts gave it that 'businesslike' appearance so popular in San Jose then, 1961.
    The car had 14" Moon eyeballs on both front fenders, so it didn't look like a stocker.

I freshened it up with off-white steel wheels in '64, still looked 'racy'. My striper bud Shannon painted a name my 1st wife gave it: "WHITE RAT", and because of the name thefts back then I had Shannon add #1 after the name.
    Soon as I beat the "fastest street car in town", I had Shannon remove the "WHITE RAT" from both fins, from then on it said, #1.
    White wheels/black tires look clean.

19. RmK57

RmK57

Body color with black walls is my vote or taste. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448848454.310598.jpg

Johnboy34 likes this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I go white it will be Fords Wimbledon white which is not a bright white or something close

21. atch

atch

body color...