Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do I have a driveshaft problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop&drop, Nov 29, 2015.

1. chop&drop

chop&drop

I have a vibration under load. It's hard to tell exactly where it starts but I'd say somewhere in the 1600-2000 rpm range. The vibration seems to be about the same regardless of vehicle speed.

I had a driveshaft shortened & balanced and new u-joints installed to fit the build so I didn't suspect the driveshaft at first. After a while, trying to track down the vibration, I pulled the shaft and found brinelling on the rear joint in the caps that mount to the 3rd member. I replaced the joint but still had the vibration so I figured the problem was elsewhere.

Still searching for my problem I pulled the shaft out today and the new joint is brinelling in the same pattern. Neither joint has very many miles on it. Do I have a driveshaft problem?

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

First guess would be pinion angle way off ...

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You definitely have a drive shaft problem, be it angle or something else. What does the driveshaft maker say?

4. 55willys

55willys

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree, the problem is most likely the angles of the setup. A mismatched driveline angle setup will cause your problem.
    Study that video, the angle of the transmission output must match the pinion angle.

6. chop&drop

chop&drop

I've checked the phasing. It's not perfect but the trans and pinion angles are within about 1 degree of each other. I didn't think that would be enough to cause a problem. I'm taking the driveshaft and both u-joints to the folks who made it tomorrow?

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yoke(s) must be perpendicular to the shaft (90*) as well as the phasing of yokes.
    Pinion angle as mentioned above. I think you are on the right track to have the
    shop double check their work. It may be elsewhere, but that is a great start to
    tracking it down.

Ray

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy