Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear End Going Back In

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Well I had to pull the rear out of the Roadster. It was making noise that sounded like it was coming from the pinon. That seemed to be the case when it was taken apart. I am now in the process of putting back in. That's it, but some photos for all that are still full from Thanksgiving. I am one of them.:( Just it getting re-painted. I will post more if anyone is interested. The rear is back in
    but not competed yet. Hey it's a slow news day:rolleyes:
    IMG_8077.JPG IMG_8080.JPG IMG_8081.JPG

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

That's a swell looking rear end! I'm bored too!
    KK

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

more, we always want more

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i was thinking about getting in touch with you concerning your roadster, i`m going to build a pre-war `32 roadster [black frame, firewall,gas tank and running gear]and was wondering about the gloss level of the chassis and running gear. did you use any flattener in the paint, or is it full gloss? with the high gloss finishes available today i`m concerned it might look a little artificial. your thoughts?
    tom

StrickV8 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. It is high gloss black and I think it looks great! Nice contrast with the body color. I am not a fan of the flat paints as the finished product. That is just me. Anyway what color are you doing the body? Love to see photos. Like everything in the sport it is all about your taste and vision. That is what makes it interesting. Good Luck with the build.
    003.JPG

6. More photo's are always welcome. HRP

7. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

"Anyway what color are you doing the body? Love to see photos. Like everything in the sport it is all about your taste and vision. That is what makes it interesting. Good Luck with the build"

i`m going to use Lyon blue paint on the body, if i can find the current paint formula. only re-pop parts are the Brookville body and tires. i`m still looking for a few parts before i start the project.
    thanx for the info.
    tom
    [​IMG]

8. You guys are easy! :p Some photos from today. Nothing exciting :rolleyes:
    IMG_8106.JPG IMG_8108.JPG IMG_8109.JPG IMG_8110.JPG
    That is where the rear wheel seals have been, with the beer:cool: Helps getting them in;)
    IMG_8111.JPG IMG_8113.JPG IMG_8115.JPG IMG_8116.JPG
    IMG_8117.JPG This O-ring material makes a nice seal for the driveshaft to trans cup.
    IMG_8118.JPG
    Getting there! Should be all back together this coming week:cool:
    Like I said nothing exciting!:D

9. Tom, it looks good! The blue should be nice! My kind of Roadster:cool:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

10. StrickV8

StrickV8

also curious to know..

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mark, is that a stock '32 rear axle? If so, I never noticed the wishbone location before. Bob

12. Yes it is a 32 4:11's

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if back in the day a few people swapped trumpets side for side to lower a car, I know they did it with Model T race cars and speedsters. Bob

[​IMG]

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

ct1932ford: Your little hot rod is looking good.
    Where did you get that O-ring material and how is it held in place?
    What kind of grease did you use on the clam shell?
    Where did you get the paper gasket for the clam shell?
    Thanks, JIM

15. The O-ring seal kit is on ebay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-flathe...m3a7ffa88a8:m:mHN4d-TolrcVhkvi3zOMRMQ&vxp=mtr
    It comes with the clam shell paper gaskets (2) although they are available from any of the vintage Ford dealers. I have a bunch if you cannot find them. I use John Deere Corn Head Grease on the U-Joint and shell area. Load it up! The grease can be found at John Deere dealers. The one near me does not carry it so I get mine on line at www.greenpartstore.com
    item number AN102562.
    The Roadster that I am repairing the rear in is the one in my Avatar! Thanks

BRIDGEWATER CAR SHOW 027.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

THANK YOU very much for taking the time to reply with such helpful info.
    All the best with your project.

17. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

That's a really neat looking master cylinder setup! I wonder where it came from...?

:cool:

18. That is a 1965 Corvette Master Cylinder homemade bracket etc..
    After church I did brake lines and emergency brake stuff. Short day!:rolleyes:
    IMG_8121.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. not done yet? good day to drive it, may be one of our last nice days.

20. Holidays cut into my garage time. Just need to put the rear hubs/drums back on and bleed the brakes!

21. Roadster is back on the ground!:cool: Sorry did not have camera in the garage.:oops: Just need to bleed brakes.:D

22. alchemy

alchemy

What did you need to do to fix the noise? Any pics or procedure on that?

23. Basically rebuilt the rear end. It had a bad pinon bearing. Sorry no photos was not done at my garage.

24. All back together yesterday!:cool: Just need to bleed brakes. If it would stop raining I would like to test drive it before the snow! :rolleyes:
    IMG_8127.JPG IMG_8128.JPG IMG_8129.JPG IMG_8130.JPG

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Brakes bled today with help from the little woman!:eek: Just need rain to stop so I can take a test drive.:rolleyes: I told you guys and gals this was not going to be too exciting!:D Well onto the coupe now!:cool:

26. alchemy

alchemy

Why will a little rain stop the test drive? I thought roadster owners were a hearty bunch? ;)

27. True, but it wasn't a little rain.:eek: I have been out in the roadster in the rain before (I do have a Top):rolleyes: I did get to test drive it today! Cold but clear. Rear seems to be good!:cool: No more noise! :D Put coupe on lift and removed exhaust system!