Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a Kustom a solid non metallic / non pearl . Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by layedout49, Aug 5, 2015.

1. layedout49

layedout49

Great color. These thread is surprisingly getting more feed back than I thought . Thanks to everyone posting on here.

2. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

I've always loved solid colors with matching steel wheels

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. 4woody

4woody

I think they called this "Sequoia Cream" in '39. Goes nicely with the red interior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Solid colors = traditional and will never go out of style, if you choose a factory color in the era of the car.

6. layedout49

layedout49

Butttttt if you're car a in the weeds (like mine will be) does the same opinion apply ? I think solids look great regardless of how low it is

7. Epy

Epy

DSCF0348.jpg DSCF0349.jpg [this is exactly the problem I'm having with mine. It's a long way off paint yet though]

8. layedout49

layedout49

I think the car looks great . I'd say a little bit lighter on the color and you're golden

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

laydeout, I was thinking just the opposite. A little darker and it grows in length. I too am glad to see the input for ya. I've said it before and always will say, color is the single most important decision made on ANY form of car. You have to live with it, love it every time you go out to the car, enjoy how it looks in different conditions (as in under street lights cruising at night, bright sunny days). We all have a color or colors that we like and know we could look at them every day without getting sick of it. For me it's white shades, silvers and grays, and most shades of green metallic. I'm not big on reds, hate dark maroons, blues give me the blues, yellow is a "NEVER" in my palette. For clients, whatever they want. As an aside, is this making the choice harder or easier, all of this input?

loudbang likes this.
  10. layedout49

layedout49

Honestly , it's becoming harder all though most people agree on solid but I've been following Kustom builds lately and they're all crazy nice pearls and kandies. Although paint n body is what I do for a living, it's hard to think of having a car together and taking it apart to repaint it

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too started my car life as a finisher, still a big part of it over 4 decades later. I get it, the idea of "again" especially on your own doesn't bode well as you get near the end. It's a ton of work to get that look your mind's eye sees. There's something out there in the color wheel that will always trip your personal trigger no matter how often you see it. Having seen what else you work on I'm confident we'll all enjoy it and perhaps get some inspiration as well.

12. layedout49

layedout49

Here's a few recent ones ...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449002726.574076.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449002743.723524.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449002764.243015.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449002785.659683.jpg

13. layedout49

layedout49

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know we do as requested by the client, and I see you're living a dream with some of the most revered cars in history. I mentioned the over use of those euro drabs earlier in this topic. I have to say that the Cadillac above is a pretty good example of what I mean. We may not need yet another red, white or black Caddy, but that color just doesn't seem to work in my mind on that car. I think there was a gray shade in their palette of offered colors but I'd bet a cup of coffee it was metallic, or at least not a willing offer on the Eldorado (that is a 53 Eldo, right?). Just a friendly observation, and again, enjoy living the dream. We're in great times for that right now.