Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Somerset Gasser Build (DragNasty)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 22, 2014.

1. rooman

rooman

I think that a blower application was probably well down on their priority list when doing fit up checks on possible combinations.

Roo

Deuced Up! likes this.
  2. 20151031_170313.jpg Mine seems to fit fine, just indexed a little different.

Deuced Up!, loudbang and enloe like this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I had big "AUSTIN" plans for the four day weekend but the "Tryptophan" hit me pretty hard this year (if you know what I mean)! I finally hit the shop this morning with some tedious body work on the tap. It is amazing the lengths I will go to avoid body work:

20151128_195808.jpeg
    That pile of scrap metal used to be the all but complete trunk area of the Austin.

20150425_180816.jpeg

20150425_181122.jpeg
    I have not been happy with it since it went in. But this morning, the more I looked at it the more I hated it. The tubs (from about 10 pages ago) looked cool but honestly caused a lot of complicated metal work around them. Because of the tight space, the entire area had to be pieced to together and while it was 80 percent WELDED in place, it still needed several hours of finish work. Not to mention it just didn't fit (quality wise) with the rest of the car. SO....out came the plasma cutter...and out came all the sheet metal and cage area out back. Plus quite a bit more of the original body that I had been trying to work around.

20151128_195724.jpeg

20151128_195734.jpeg

I got it all cleaned out and installed the lower rear fire wall across the back of the cage just aft of the seats. Plus two filler pieces to connect the back panel to the former rear doors.

20151129_190138 (1).jpeg

20151129_190147 (1).jpeg

I am building a simple 1"x 1" square tubing frame work that will allow me to them install a top piece from the rear window deck area down to the top of the firewall above. Then that is it. That will leave the entire rear area completely open. It will also allow me to mount the Fuel Cell to the chassis in that area (which is the way it should have always been). It will also allow access to the suspension, brakes, wheelie bars, rear end etc. through the trunk... I am very happy with the new direction.

20151128_195817.jpeg
    The plan for today, finish the rear and few places on the firewall, paint the firewall, drop it back on the chassis and get it road ready...we are about ready to fire the beast!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    loudbang and gonmad like this.
  4. gonmad

gonmad

Wow, almost complete and then cut it apart! Devoted man!! LoL!

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a very nice adjective there, thanks. Although "devoted" was not in the list running through my head at the time: Stupid, idiotic, dumb ass, %*&^#@*!!! ...But when it is wrong it is wrong and I knew it was wrong last year when I was doing it...now THAT is what really deserves some expletive adjectives. LOL

loudbang likes this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been a while since I have had time for the Austin but this past week I found a killer set vintage Offy valve cover breathers. Even with the valve cover extensions, clearing the comp cams valve train girdles is still an issue and there is no room for a standard push in breather.

20151213_094417.jpeg
    These things are just the ticket and match the patina on the valve covers perfectly.

20151213_094423.jpeg

20151213_100412.jpeg
    So I made a paper pattern. I drilled bolt holes and before mounting the breathers, drilled several vent holes etc.

20151213_094444.jpeg
    They mount on top with minimum intrusion in the cover. Not too mention the look pretty good as well.

20151213_102113.jpeg

20151213_102144.jpeg

20151213_103915.jpeg

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also started the process of removing the white letters from my slicks and front runners. I have always planned to do it but reading the rules for the Meltdown Drags, it has to be done (to both sides of the tires). After doing some research I found the consensus is "Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner" on a rag. It did work very well.

20151213_094710.jpeg
    Not sure I need to do it, but after removing the text, I sprayed the area with an Armor-All tire foam treatment.

20151213_095458.jpeg
    It looks pretty good...now 15 MORE! Yikes! What we do for the right look...lol.

20151213_095901.jpeg

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  8. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Patina? Fancy ass wuss word rust and corrosion!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually basic construction metals tend to physically transform over time due to natural environmental conditions. The texture and color of the metal surface changes with an oxide layer forming on it in the initial stages. Soon this layer converts to a hydroxide layer. Later this hydroxide layer combines with other elements in the atmosphere and finally the metal surface gains a stable mineral composition that is very resistant to any further alteration. I thought "that" was a bunch of fancy ass wuss words so I simply chose, patina.

wingnutz and gonmad like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

God those M/T valve covers are the coolest BBC covers ever made.
    Those breathers are perfect for them.
    Now, about those radiator hoses..........

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know...the stainless hoses are just temporary to fire it up. I had them laying around from another project. I have not had the time to spend an afternoon at the auto parts store with my hanger pattern looking for a perfect fit...LOL!

12. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

M/T covers were all ways the best looking for any engine. To bad didn't make them for a Cad.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, had a few small blocks over the years with them, but there is just something about a big block with M/T's that just seems so..........manly.
    Kinda reminds me of how Tim (the tool man) Taylor sounded..................well, you know.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

Awesome Build!!!!! Subscribed

15. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Good comeback.

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well a pretty productive day with the Austin. This morning I finished up the sheet metal in the trunk, seam sealed it all and applied a coat of bed liner black. I also undercoated the rest of the body and finished the firewall. Then we rolled the chassis out and washed it in preparation for putting the body back on.

20151219_133835.jpeg
    My carb builder has the carbs doing a few secret last minute E85 tricks as we are getting ready to fire it soon!

20151219_133815.jpeg
    Our handy dandy lift additions from a few pages back made quick work of dropping the body back in place.

20151219_164454.jpeg
    Finally for the first time in months, the Austin is about to take up only half the shop.

20151219_165514.jpeg
    After seeing back together again I am very motivated for the first time in quite a while.

20151219_171912.jpeg

20151219_171931.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    kiwijeff, gonmad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. rooman

rooman

Looking good mate!

Roo

19. Nice job on the valve covers, I have a set just like them on the left here. 20151017_132354.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  20. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Been thinking going E85 myself. Quit the dilly dallying. So fire it up already, so you can tell us all how it runs on Obama gas.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, I know. It is coming. No one is more impatient than me.

22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bit out of build order but I just had to share... I spent the better part of yesterday putting the cage back in place on the rear (photos coming later). With all the rear sheet metal gone there is tons of room for the battery, fuel cell and fuel pump etc. It also started a conversation about a chute. I know it is a bit premature since we have not even fired the crazy thing. Dad and I were talking about what kind of chute it would need and I know you are going to think this is crazy vain but I said my big problem is their color. I don't want a blue, red or yellow chute on the car because they won't match it. See I told you it was vanity. When I close my eyes and see the chute opening, it is black. There is some irony there, as in real life if I ever do actually pull the chute my eyes will probably closed as well...LOL!

So later that night, I am sitting around watching TV and I get a text from a good friend that builds race cars. He said do you need a Parachute for the Austin? I text back something like "funny you should ask...." He is building a Super Comp car for a guy in Colorado (a very nice and very OT fire engine red '69 Camaro). He said, and I quote, "The guy is SO vain that he wants the stupid parachute to match the car." ...I was appalled!

Anyway, he said he had already installed it so no sending it back. If I needed one he would sell it to me "on the cheap." I said, what color is it? You guessed it....black. I reluctantly said....well, if it will help you out, I will take it.....LOL!

Brand new, Diest 12' Quad up to 180 mph....should look something like this:
    303-27369BLACK.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    kiwijeff, loudbang and gonmad like this.
  23. rooman

rooman

The only problem that you may have with that is getting it to open--12' is a lot of chute for the speeds you will most likely be running.

Roo

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooops...sorry not sure how I got that in there...it is not 12'. It is a Supercomp chute 150-180 mph

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Black will hide all the grubby finger prints.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So back to tidying up the trunk area. Sunday I installed a 1.5" square tubing brace (1) across the back area of the body. Basically side to side welded to the inner fender wells. I placed it about an inch from the rear chassis cross member (2). Then I welded a piece of .25" plate to the square tubing so that it simply sat on the rear cross member. Then I drilled it and that area becomes the rear body mount (3).
    20151222_060542.jpg
    So you probably noticed the rear roll cage legs have been welded back. Actually they are the nice bends from the front legs. If you remember between the blower audible and alternator placement, we have to rebuild the front legs of the cage as well. Normally I would have just completely replaced both those legs but where they attach to the cage there is triangular piece of plate that ties three bars all together and serves as the upper seat belt mount. So to avoid a lot of work, I spliced the rear legs back together.

20151222_060631.jpg
    To make a really strong splice, I took a smaller piece of roll bar tubing (that just barely fits inside, in fact you nearly have to drive it in) and placed a 24" piece of it inside, 12" either side of the weld point. I also drilled a .5" hole every 2" up the bottom side of the both pieces. Then I just welded it all in place at the joint and all 12 holes up the bottom. I think we are good. I also fabbed up another fuel cell holder. (Note: Never turn down a good old fashion bed frame if offered up, I can't tell you how many have found their way into my projects for light duty work...LOL)

20151222_060717.jpeg

I am very happy with the new placement of the fuel cell. It is now 4" lower in the trunk which is going to help a bunch with fueling. I got tickled at Dad showing the car off to the neighbor last night. He pointed out that we were redoing the trunk area to lower the fuel cell. When the neighbor asked why, Dad said in a race car it is all about lowering the center of gravity. The neighbor was impressed. Myself I am a bit skeptical, considering this crazy thing has a center crank hight of 24" LOL!

loudbang, gonmad and 9sectruck like this.
  27. gonmad

gonmad

So are you going to have any tinwork for wheel wells?

28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. I really thought about this a lot. I know it will be a bit messy without them but honestly I don't have anything back there of great value. The Battery will be in a sealed box, as will the fuel pump. That just leaves the plastic fuel cell. The advantage however is total access to everything: Rear end, Brakes, Suspension it is all right there and workable from the top, not just from the underside. The entire cab area is completely sheet metaled off, welded solid and seam sealed. Finally the whole trunk area in question has been bed liner treated.

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are very excited about our race team shirts. That sounds so official when I say it that way. Okay, Dad and I a pretty excited about our shirts. LOL! I designed them and just received a confirmation comp back for approval. They are scheduled to arrive just after the first of the year. This is what they look like:

Dragnasty Shirt2.jpg
    I had to compromise on the "Injection is nice" line as Dad probably would not have worn it with the real saying on there. However the direction I took makes me laugh nearly much as the original...if not more!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    kiwijeff, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  30. gonmad

gonmad

It'll be messy for sure. My main concern would be the flying rocks stuck in the slicks and what they do to your quarters and deck lid. Just thinkin.