Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration old trucks revenge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Nov 25, 2015.

1. True story......as i remember it.
    back in high school i had an evening job,after dinner, servicing limos, an hour south of where i lived. i commuted with a hand-me-down, light blue, sixties era chevy truck. it was a three quarter, long bed step side with 4.56 gears, three on the tree and six cylinder. the motor ran good but used a little oil........ some leaked......... some burned.
    dull paint, and lots of scratches, solid except a hole in the drivers side floorboard. the rubber floor mat had worn through in that spot and an old floor mat from a wrecked limo kept stuff from falling through. tool box on the floor on the passenger side and a football. school book and "work" shirt on the seat next to me.
    the trip started with a short drive on the interstate, which had an exit that continued onto a route that was one lane in each direction. this road was winding and bumpy and the tailgaters were stacking up behind me.
    this was rush hour, in early winter, overcast, and it was already dark. i was in the way of a bunch of european luxury cars heading into an affluent town and i could see in my mirror they wanted to pass, but the road was too windy.
    up ahead i see the flashing yellow work lights, mounted to saw horses, that the state workers had set up while they redid the intersection. this intersection needed to be redone, it had a sweeping merge, in the direction i was going and it was getting too busy and hard to enter from the other direction, so the state planned to put a normal T intersection in with new curbing and islands to divide the road from the gas station.
    now here is where i made the mistake,i was taking the swoop to the right and as i approached the intersection, with head lights in my rear view mirrors, and lots of flashing yellow lights i did not realize that the road crew finally got the T operational. at 45 mph i continued on the "old" road, which now ran through the now larger gas station. kicking up dust i carried on but the "road" ended at a new divider island...........i hit the island at over 40 mph, my head hit the roof, my tool box flipped over but the coil sprung suspension landed the truck onto the side road......no harm......except in the confusion the tailgaters followed me.......in my rear view mirror i could see head lights, beaming in every direction, some moving left, some right, some up, then down.
    didn't see another car behind me till i hit the edge of the center of town....

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Wow that's quite a story, thanks for the ride!o_O Gary:D

3. Yeah,like lemmings over a cliff.Must have been a sight to see,good you were ok.

4. Surprised you didn't pick up some chips and a soda as you drove through the gas station :)
    Great story!

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I hit one of those concrete parking lot things one night in an OT 4x4. No damage, but damn is that a surprising jolt. I'd love to have seen the Luxo cars navigating that obstacle though. Bet a few of them needed a change of clothes.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Great story

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. :):cool:

hah, good analogy!

thanks!

i kept going, i was just 16 and thought i would be in a lot of trouble so i didn't go back to look. plus i needed to get to work.;)

thanks.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nopicsdidnthappen

:p

9. Those old Chevy trucks are like a Timex watch,they can take a licking and keep on ticking. HRP

10. Król

Król

Great story, Thanks!

11. Well I guess some tailgaters learned a lesson that night. I hope so anyway.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. hah!

that was a great truck.

thanks and your welcome.

makes me laugh every time i think of a car with 6" clearance going over a one foot hump.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Do you at least have a pic of said truck? I love trucks.

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, and I have fond memories of learning to drive in my older brothers 1964 1/2 ton L.B. pickup. That 292/granny 4 speed taught me that anything after that was a piece of cake.

15. blackanblue

blackanblue

Great story when I was 14 mom and dad did the weekly grocery run into town in the new 74 ford pu they took my little brother and trusted me to watch the farm mayby 2 hours..so we had a 55 ford half ton we used for hauling hay fenceposts and whatnot so I'd fill it with tractor gas out of our 200 gallon tank, 3 on the tree and gravel roads were my version of drifting, never wrecked it. That's how I how learned to drive on the road. I fessed up about 20 years later,,they both had a chuckle,miss em both.

16. Be real hardcase if someone here was one of the people in the following cars....

I had similar road change thing, except the road workers had built a four foot high dirt bank across old road.
    Hit it about 40, on a Triumph Trident, hard tail chopper.
    That bike flew through the air, bounced three times upon landing, and carried on. Worse part of this, is nobody saw it happen. I thought I was going to die.

37hotrod, Jet96 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. i do, it is slightly OT. i just don't have them in the computer.

this was a three on the tree. truck never failed me.

cool!

that is @The37Kid s stomping grounds
    hard tail?......ouch!

18. Too bad it's OT don't be PC and post a pic.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. i wonder if @MalloMike has a photo of it?

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"like" just doesn't do this justice...fukin AWESOME!!:D:D Reminds of this time with my brother about 35 yrs ago, when we were young and CRAZEEEE. He drove me out to the old Mopac on Kingsway to pick up some parts for my duster. We were in his big ol' Galaxie XL convert beater. This guy in a Pontiac sticks his nose a little too far out of this alley, and instead of stopping or going around him, my brother yells "HA! CLASH OF THE TITANS!" clips the front of the Poncho, and RIPS the front bumper and last 6 inches or so of sheet metal off the nose of the Pontiac and keeps going.:eek::confused: Hope the statute of limitations has run out on this one...

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ooo, ooo, another one!! Years ago, I am riding with a buddy in his Oldsmobile beater. A buddy of mine (if you frequent Mission raceway, you will know this guy, but I aint gonna out him, initials are JS) was following us in his Datsun 510. So we are passing through this construction site, and there are about 4 of those sawhorse things with the yellow warning light on top. So my buddy in the olds nails the first three with the front fender of the Olds, but notices the last warning light is actually on top of a barrel filled with concrete, and swerves around it. I anticipate what is about to happen, and immediately spin around and look over my shoulder. Sure enough "JS" swerves towards the last light, theres a hell of a BANG, and now there is only one headlight behind us. We had to go back and pick him up and drive him home...

Fedman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. that is funny! hope he didn't get hurt.
    my uncles told me a story about the flashing work lights. they decided to swipe a bunch of them one night for the batteries. they just couldn't figure out how to turn them off, so they had a blinking burlap sack full of lights in the trunk of their car all night. till they realized you had to stick a ten penny nail in the hole in the side to push the button.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He was ok, but the Datsun was terminal...:p

Fedman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Fedman, I guarantee if I gave his name, you'd know the guy that was driving the datsun...;):D

25. George, pm his name. would i know him?

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, he'd only be known locally. Runs a very fast bracket race s10, like VERY fast.

27. The county deputy was chasing a dodge pickup down Blacksferry road when I lived there. The deputy in a car. the pickup drove over the cattle guard at the Tweedy ranch and took off across the field. the pickup drove over a stump that it easily cleared and the squad car was gutted. I joked to the deputy I bet you used up all of your brownie points? He didn't think it was very funny!

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh man, another one. You need to keep in mind, when I was in my teens, my home town was still a "small town".
    We actually witnessed this, we were in the parking lot of the Lordco when it happened. nice sunny Friday afternoon, and the cops were chasing some crazy guy in an Oldsmobile around our town. So I guess he was heading east on the road that runs past the Lordco, which was at the corner of Dewdney Trunk Rd. and Burnette.
    So we are standing there, and all of a sudden about ten cop cars come flying up from every direction, sirens, lights, squealing tires, real Hawaii 5.0 stuff, and block off the intersection at Dewdney and Burnette. We are wondering what all the excitement is, and we can hear more sirens approaching from the west.
    All of a sudden, this guy in an Olds wheels into the north side parking lot entrance, drives across the parking lot at about 50 mph, and exits onto Burnette from the east parking lot entrance, which the police, in their haste, had neglected to block off, and disappears south on Burnette. So while all the cops in the intersection are trying to disentangle themselves and follow the now lone police car that followed the guy through the parking lot, we are all standing in the Lordco parking lot laughing our collective asses off.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, and Fedman does know the guy in the Datsun, but hes gonna keep his mouth shut...:D So "JS"s reputation is safe for now.

30. Bump on head, that explains a lot :rolleyes: Even the bald spot:eek:

falcongeorge likes this.