Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thinking of Dropping my '63 Biscayne Front End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Seriously thinking about dropping the front end of my '63 Biscayne about ~2"...
    Yes this is for looks only.
    Been checking on the forum search function and read pretty much all of the pro's and Con's of heating, cutting, replacing springs, etc.
    Got to thinking tonight about changing to dropped spindles instead...
    Looked on line and found a few that looked good, but are for disc brake conversions only.
    Anyone done this leaving the drum brakes in place with dropped spindles ?
    If so any suppliers you can line me up with ?
    Thanks much...

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

These are some of the easiest cars to lower the old fashioned way. I cut 1 1/2 rounds off the front springs of my 61 and it came down about 3 inches. I trimmed the snubber and it rides beautifully. I have put 60000 miles on it with no issues ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448415777.695798.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448415822.979411.jpg

3. verde742

verde742

absolutely!!!!!! they were MADE TO CUT A COIL AND ONE HALF.. Careful tho first ring is somewhat hidden,

What a good looking 61, you are lucky !! Bet you bot when they were cheap !!!

Moriarity likes this.
  4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks Moriarity,
    I have read where you can do that leaving the springs in the car..
    Any comments ?

5. Scotty B's must have really good food......

Moriarity likes this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Following along, have a 63 Impala project that's next in line.

7. Done this in several of the early impalas, but I cant see how you could do it in the car very well at all.....it a snap to get the springs out, and you need trim both sides exactly the same so it sits level. if they are both out you can compare side by side. It an afternoon worth of work.

Moriarity likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have done it this way in the past on cars I didn't really care about. It is easy to accidentally cut into the control arm if you are not careful. what you would do is with a cutting torch cut a half round of spring at a time and pry/pick the pieces out, sometimes it helps to pry up on the bottom of the spring while you are cutting it to make it easier to get at. In all honesty though you are far better off taking the springs out to cut them.

302GMC likes this.
  9. Best off to pop the springs out. You may get access to the end, but you'll have to go through 90% of the exercise anyway. On my '65 Belair, I used new BBC springs and removed a full 2 coils off them. Watch the registry on the springs, not sure if the top coil was ground flat or not. So the top and bottom ends may have to be reasonably in line with each other.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A friend of mine removed the coils from his '46 Chevy back in 1955, cut 2-1/2 coils from each with a hacksaw! (and more than a few blades...)

The coils come right out of that '63, just use a 2 ton floor jack, 3 car stands, and a ball joint puller.
    Avoid the temptation of using a pickle fork, it'll tear the boot open!
    Jack up the front and place the stands under the front corners of the frame, right behind the front wheel wells.
    Place the 3rd stand under the rear bumper, diagonally from the spring you're going to remove.
    When you disconnect/remove the shock and lower ball joint, the floor jack (placed laterally under the spindle/control arm) will compress the spring, as the weight of the whole car is being utilized, (rather than 'rotating 'round the rear axle)
    Disconnect ball joint and jack down, removing coil spring.
    Ditto for other side... Replacing them will be easier, as the spring will be shorter; still have to utilize the rear bumper/car stand to compress springs enough to re-attach ball joints, though.
    Die grinder with disc cuts thru those coils in short order.

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good bunch of answers and suggestions..
    Think I will heat them in a few weeks when I have time this winter, as I don't drive it, using the "Jacks under Frame" idea letting it sit overnight....That will give me an idea of what it will look like.
    Then in the the spring if I don't like anything about, I can always buy new springs and cut them, or go another route.
    Appreciate all the help...

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Are you keeping it ? Do you LIKE the car ? Is it worth putting money into ?
    If yes, then put dropped spindles in while rebuilding the rest of the front end.
    If no, torch 'em ... do it slow & even on the bottom 3 turns, & it'll sit nice ... now, if the control arm bushings & lower ball joints are worn out, prepare to buy a couple tires a week ...

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Cut a couple coils and it will still ride like an apartment on wheels !

14. ..if that were mine, I'd raise it a bit in the rear, put some cheater slicks on white rims, then put some 409 springs in the front with some grey=spoke Americans,...and cruz....
    but it yours so.....
    ...you can cut coils in the car ,...make a 1/2" thick barstock about 1 & 1/2" wide, drill a 1/2" hole in center, remove your front shock, install the bar across your coil about 2-3 coils from bottom, insert a long 1/2" threaded rod thru the hole in the bar out the top shock mount hole, thread on a nut and crank up the coil spring til the bottom of the coil is not touching the lower a-frame, cut your coil or coil and a half, remove the tool, lower the car, done.

15. Watched one guy heating springs with a torch... got too hot and the spring collapsed. Still laughing about that one...

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Yes the car is a keeper...I rebuilt pretty much everything on it...have been driving it for about ~4 years.
    The front end is in excellent shape as is all the suspension..rides and handles very well. As stated in my original post, just wanting to do the for looks, and willing to sacrifice a bit of ride for it.
    I would love to go the dropped spindle route, but can not find any dropped spindles that are not for a disc brake conversion.
    Any leads on where to buy spindles would be great.
    Also I do have air shocks on the back, and can raise the back up, but never cared for that look unless the front end is down..

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 64 Biscayne. 2" drop spindles with short coils in the back and four wheel disc brakes. I think it sits just right but wouldn't go any lower. I've got to go real slow over speed humps. Drop spindles are the way to go as they don't change the steering geometry. I'd recommend at least front discs. These cars don't stop very well with those old drum brakes. IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Hdonlybob likes this.