Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

No problem,Andrew

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The 49 bumpers are the best ... Nice and smooth . Of course, I might be biased ;)

[​IMG]

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not so sure about that, Antti. Pretty sure the Boss cleared that confusion up awhile ago. 1965 is HAMB-friendly.
    Great powertrain, nice score!

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats where i'm aiming for,to get smooth look!

Yeah,the motor is a hamb friendly,thats not the problem.But i ment its not correct for 50's era.I guess this build isnt 100% of period correct anyway.Steering box is from 70's Volvo,gas tank is 60's Comet,rear axle is made pretty much same time than i was...
    Plan is to build it look like pre-1955 era,early 50's kustoms are more my stuff than later ones on that decade.

5. That was just to get his Riviera in :D Now it's gone we can go back to pre-Mustang times.

Whatever's under the hood, your car is going to look killer Antti.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! You might be right, Andrew!
    Seriously, the muscle car age is what made old-time (traditional) hot-rodding your jalopy obsolete. Why go to all that work when an off-the-shelf Duster can whip your ass! Surely that is what the Boss had in mind in settling on the top-end date.

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Any progress Antti? I reckon it is getting pretty cold where you are.Here it has finally cooled off enough to be comfortable.

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,Andrew!

Sorry Kurt,
    Nothing worth to post,but i've been working with the front end suspension parts.And i got the parts out of customs,right on time before our postal workers went to strike.I took few pieces for the powdercoater at monday,so i am waiting to get them back.When i have them,its time bolt everything back to the front end.Too bad that its getting colder in here,so it'll be uncomfortable again.I really hate winters..

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I picked up the last front suspension pieces from the powdercoater,so here is an another batch of powdercoated parts:

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure that i've gathered everything for the front end,so i guess its assembly time at this weekend.:D

marioD, vwdave30, Big A and 1 other person like this.
  10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks really good!

11. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Sweet looking! Looking forward to se the front end togheter!

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks fellows!
    Here is the suspension puzzle.Well,most of it:

[​IMG]

And here its done:

[​IMG]

Well,almost done.The brakes arent mounted yet and the steering arms are just mocked.
    But the plan is to put the rest of the front end stuff on the car before the weekend.

Teevee68, Eric H and daddio211 like this.
  13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good progress! Looking good.

14. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looks great! Are those steering arms the same that shoebox central sell as a upgrade kit?

15. road zombi

road zombi

Nice parts, you will drive like waving on clouds;)...apropos, if you want to install a front stabilizer take the metrics and look in the mopar domain for a rear stabilizer, sry that i can´t tell you what a kind of it´s exactly, cause i bought mine on ebay USA based on the metrics....but if you need pictures from the installed stabilizer tell it to me....
    Greetings Winki

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Kurt!

The steering arms are from Fatman,like the drop uprights.But i guess you ment the tie end rods by that upgrade kit?
    I guess they are similar than the Shoebox central sells,but i scored those from ebay long time ago.
    They are chrome-moly and the seller was Erickson kustoms.The quality was fine,but i had to ream the center piece,it wasnt reamed.I managed to do it barely.
    If you want that upgrade kit,i recommend to buy it from Shoebox central.Everything works fine with Chris.People have had problems with Erickson kustoms,including me.I never got the discbrake conversion kit from them and the time limit expired,so i didnt get a refund from Paypal.
    I guess its easy to screw foreign people like us,but that can be done only once with me.
    Well,i hope he had fun with my 400 dollars..

Thanks!
    I guess i have to buy the sway bar(stabilizer)from US too,so i think i'll buy the one that is ment for shoeboxes.But thanks for the offer!

17. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Ok yeah chris at shoebox central is great have bougth some stuff from him in the past, never a problem!Erickson kustoms sounds like idiots i stay away from them, Fuckers! Should know better than mess with us scandinavians. Maybe we should go visit them in us....

18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Antti did your car have a front stabilizer bar from the factory? My 50 did.

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I am not sure about that,maybe it did came from factory with the stabilizer.But it didnt came with the car when i bought it.What i know about the history of my car,it was a parts car at some point.So its not a big surprise that some of the parts arent there.

20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have a whole 51 front frame/suspension from the firewall forward from my parts car.Do you want me to check and see if it has a swaybar?

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats kind of you,if its in there i am interested.Shipping it could be a piece of cake,because i have a shipper in Florida.

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I will look at it tomorrow.

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

When i came home from work,i noticed that there was a package waiting:

[​IMG]

A freebie from steinauge,fresh air control cables.Thanks Kurt!
    And a small update.I got the car back on wheels again:

[​IMG]

It sits pretty low,comparing how it was when i bought the car.Its really hard to say at this point do i have to add lowering blocks to the rear,but we'll see..

24. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Glad that arrived.Is any of it what you needed?

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i think they are what i need,just have to give a little WD-40 treatment for them.Thanks again!

26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The 51 parts car does have a swaybar mounted on it,so all the brackets are there too.Let me know if you need it.RE cold weather-do you have those big torpedo shaped kerosene heaters available there? It occurs to me that they can heat pretty large spaces fast and they are not a lot of money.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the offer again,Kurt.I'll send a pm for you about that.
    Well,the weather isnt really cold yet.I guess its something like 28 in fahrenheits?
    I havent seen many kerosene heaters in here.I guess diesel/fuel oil heaters are more common in here.
    There's my heater in the suspension puzzle pic,i guess its a miniature version of the big torpedo style heaters.Nothing fancy,but it works fine in the small garage.

28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

In Florida 28 farenheit is REALLY cold!

29. good progress, Antti, slow but sure, the best way! suspension is looking great!

Cheers, Carsten

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i know!
    Believe me,i've seen a lot worse weathers than this.I am really glad that i live at the southern side of this country.Its a different story at the northern part of this country..

Thanks Carsten!

I made a mock up with the inner fenders,just to make sure that i dont miss anything that needs some attention:

[​IMG]

And these panels....

[​IMG]

...i think they need something.I dont know is it necessary,but i guess i'll make a "blisters" on them.There is sure room between the panel bottom and the tire now,but the body will go lower when everything is back on the car. And if i get ideas of using 16" wheels at some point,there wont be any rubbing issues with them.
    Another one of the panels is a bit crispy,so it needs fresh sheetmetal anyway..

Eric H likes this.