Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a quality machine shop (Des Moines, IA)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Guys - Since I moved from the Seattle area to Iowa's capital a few years ago I've not gotten connected with any car clubs or even met someone like myself who enjoys tired iron. I'm currently working on a '54 Kaiser and have made a few mods to it, but mostly hope to keep it as stock looking as I can.
    If winter weather permits, I might be tearing down an engine to rebuild and need to find a good shop to do the 'boring' work on the block. :p Any suggestions would be appreciated and I'm willing to haul to Omaha or the quad cities to the east.
    Many thanks!

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

the NAPA in Ames built my cad 365 about 15 years ago. Gary was the machinist's name if I recall correctly. did a great job never had any problems with it. it was stroked to 390 and bored .030 with SBC valves and what not. I never new many folks in Des Moines, but there used to be a bunch of hot rodders around Marshalltown, and a fair number around Ames too. FWIW.

3. haychrishay

haychrishay

There is a Machine shop next to the Napa on university by the Fairgrounds, he did the Chevy ll for my track roadster a few years back, Arnold's in Ankeny, has always done good work as well.

4. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the leads. Have a great Thanksgiving!

5. Midstate Machine is in Des Moines, my uncle used them for a lot of engine work during his time as a mechanic.
    They are at 4045 Delaware in Des Moines. 515-265-2669

6. GTS225

GTS225

Tom, I will tell you this, though. Get it done soon. Come March, the dirt track boys will have most of the shops booked up with stock car engine stuff.

Roger

7. Joel W

Joel W

Midwest cylinder head and machine in Nevada, IA can do most any work you want done!