Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

Good stuff gwhite, I think that we are on the HAMB to remember how it was or to learn about it from those that were.

gwhite likes this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I love the shot of Duke Halloks T!

The fact that the track nose is nowhere near smooth and has a hand beaten shape to it says volumes about how rodding Actually! was. Not the over finished examples of some cars at restoration.

Spoggie and bct like this.
  3. True (to an extent); there were a fair number that had some hand-finished 'roughness'. but there were also plenty of ultra fine-finished rods in the late 30's through the 40's, Judging from extant examples/photos, most were decently finished, probably as much as the hot-rodder's skill/budegt would allow; you'll notice that there are hardly any rusted out, unpainted, bubble-gum welded shitboxes in these early photos...Folks back then had pride.

Dannerr likes this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Dannerr and gwhite like this.
  5. I'll agree back at cha.

6. The track nose on it now is new not the original.

Haha, all good, fun and games. The Spurgin/Giovanine roadster was so often referred to as a T that as a tongue in cheek joke I added it to my T roadster illustration print set. On the SCTA MAY 1949 cover you can see how Gus Maanum drew the car as a T. In the HRM article it was also referred to as a T.

SCTA-5-49-pg-01.jpeg

Spoggie likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

There ya go I didn't look close enough.

My point was NOT that these cars were poorly built, but that they were built by their owners or their friends, not "Joe pro builder"

Spoggie likes this.
  8. This is where's it's at! My favorite thread by far. Even though my cars don't reflect it, this is where my heart is in hotrods.

Spoggie and Runnin shine like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Actually I looked at pictures of it for many years and never questioned that it was a '26-'27 T until I got my '26 Chevy and started looking for Chevy pictures. I agree that the utilitarian look is more appealing than the perfect show look. Not crap but function over form. But a lot of home builds were/are mighty fine.

10. Thanks for posting the HRM cover, Gary. That clearly dates the car in the 40's. I guess Ed was a hoodlum like the rest of us. :)

11. elgringo71

elgringo71

12. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

PICS - ARE - SO - COOLLLLL THE - GOOD - OLD - DAYS- ;);)-:cool::cool:

13. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

COOL ----PICS ----:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;););):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

elgringo71 likes this.
  14. elgringo71

elgringo71

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'll throw this pic from last summer up here...
    [​IMG]

The most period-correct drag race I've ever been in, my big, fat, hopped-up '39 Tudor challenged by a '27 T on an A frame with all '39 Ford running gear.

Nobey, heavydumper, Tiny and 3 others like this.
  16. verde742

verde742

you don't see that 49 chevy and that 49 mercury in the picture ? :rolleyes:

17. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

well................... Who won?

18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I didn't want to gloat, but, my heavyweight Tudor did. Not by much though. I got about a hood length off the line and held it to the end. He had less weight, but I had the power...

Nobey, Hamtown Al and Dannerr like this.
  19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

And as for my more hot-roddy car, here's where I left off before Sam, my uncle, sent me away. I'll be finishing the properly period correct build when I get back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Farmer, louisb, kidcampbell71 and 8 others like this.
  20. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

I'll add some new stuff to the thread, my latest project the Don Raible roadster of the Pasadena Pacers.

image.jpg image.jpg
    How it is now, at the start of the restoration.
    image.jpg

21. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

22. 46stude

46stude

Thank you, bud.

23. This year can't go by fast enough! Looking forward to your return my friend!

hipster and Dannerr like this.
  24. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

You and me both. Gonna be a busy summer and fall when I get back. Cars to finish, motorcycles to start, parties to have, and the wife is working on filling the last seat in the family car...

Hitchhiker, Dannerr and bct like this.
  25. @Pat Pryor a build thread would be awesome to see this restoration progress. I have yet to find anything in any literature but I will keep looking. The way the Auburn dash is mounted is unique so that should be useful in ID-ing the Raible roadster in pics.

kidcampbell71 and RainierHooker like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just ran across this photo taken at the 1972 LARS swap. Clearly a 40s era car, and very much intact. Wonder where this car is now, and if it still looks like this.
    1972 lars.jpg

Pat Pryor and 63fdsnr like this.
  27. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

/\/\/\/\/\//\ this is the Duke Hallock car. recently owned by Jackie Howerton. the car is a hi boy minus the 1936 Cadillac radiator shell and grille, still sporting the original Hallock windshield and is now equipped with a `32 radiator shell and grille.
    tom

Spoggie and falcongeorge like this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks for posting that, had a feeling it might have been "traditionalized"...

29. In some way it has Joe Mac parted it out, the chassis went under one of his cars Jackie purchased the body with the Hallock screen and the dash.

2014 photo below.

LARS 6_14-089-X2.jpg

30. KKrod

KKrod

The car has a really nice windshield. I wonder if Duke Hallock adapted it from another car. Or if it is original design. Cast in brass or aluminum? That is great history that the car has even though it has changed. Any idea what the dash looks like?