Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ballpark my horsepower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Nov 25, 2015.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I picked up a sbc a while back and I have some specs on it but not all. This is the can http://pitstopusa.com/i-5063277-com...0-intake-550-exhaust-lobe-sep-angle-106s.html I know its a 350 it has world products heads seen here. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/World...4Jftg6qtLJl2f8ZV1wst_qBXtT8g4He5w0aAp0H8P8HAQ I think the block has been decked because the numbers on the vin pad are gone,it has screwed in studs, roller rockers 10.5:1 compression. comp springs, I have a wiend duel quad tunnel ran with 2 edelbrock 500 CFM carbs. The rear is a ford 9" with 3;90's. I'm not going racing I just want a healthy street car. That is all the info I have.

2. indyjps

indyjps

With that cam, heads, compression. 400 hp is achievable. Tuning is the difference between 350 and 400 hp.
    The dual quads take more effort to tune.

In a 3500 lb car 350 hp is approx 13.3 et, 400 hp is 12.7 et. Assuming the gearing and suspension are set up, 3.90 gear is in the range.

If you have a strip near you make a few passes, see where you are, start tuning. You can always get one of these to help tune if there's not a strip near.
    http://www.gtechpro.com

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Oh and it's bored .030 over.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

5. 350 to 400 horse sounds pretty realistic with those parts. But don't forget all the fancy shiny stuff. The small block in my 51 might make 200 horsepower right now, but with the polished finned valve covers, polished intake, detailed and painted block along with the finned polished air cleaner on the polished edelbrock carb, I'm figuring i'm putting out well over 400 VISUAL horsepower..... at least its got some steep gears in it now so it will do burnouts....

6. VISUAL HP,love it:D.

7. 27troadster

27troadster

I agree....400HP, small things that could make it more than 400hp are:
    Is the tunnel ram properly ported, polished, and port-matched along with the heads to achieve the greater than 100% volumetric efficiency that tunnel rams were designed for?
    headers - a good set of Headman equal length primary tube headers, vice manifolds, zoomies, custom headers that look good on an open fendered rod, etc. The equal length headers will make the most peak HP at a given RPM, provided the cam, intake, carb, etc is all optimised for the same RPM as the headers.
    Rockers - full roller means more HP at the flywheel. 1.6 vice 1.5 makes a difference as well.

Kipp

8. BJR

BJR

helps to make you the winner in sonic drags.

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

280 at the wheels, 330 at the crank. 13.70 @104 in the 1/4 with a 2.20 60ft. It will spin hard in first gear, hook pretty well in second and go through the traps about 4500. With slicks and some practice, you could do 13.10 @106 with a 1.70 60ft. This is some total bullshit I pulled out of my ass, but I bet it is pretty close....

In the end, it doesn't matter. You will be able to wax the hell out of most any car that pulls up beside you at a red light and it will lay nice rubber. It will be fun as hell and you will love it.

See ya, -Abone.

Russco and BIG-JIM like this.
  10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yeah that's probably gonna be my downfall. The transmission is a 700R4. This is going into my wifes car and she doesn't drive a stick (neither do I actually...I'm lazy like that).

11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Oh it's gonna look fast that's for sure! But with my car only putting out about 250 HP; she will not only be kicking my ass but looking sweet doing it. Funny how I never took into account the VISUAL HP. Learn something new every day.

12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks Kipp (and everyone else) for the replies. I suppose my biggest concern is the cam. From what I've read it is for race applications. Will it be okay on the street and be maintenance free or will the rockers need to be adjusted periodically? I'm not going to race the car so I can care less about the "Best" performance. I just want a snotty little driver for the wife to have some fun with. And me as well occasionally; that is if I can get the wheel from her hands. She likes to drive but has never driven a hot rod. She's been in them but never actually driven one. This should be fun. It's going into a 33 chevy master 3 window coupe. Done up like milners coupe. Bobbed rear fenders, channeled over the frame, cycle fenders out front and unchopped roof. It has lake style headers. Admittedly it won't be very HAMB friendly but it won't be a street rod either.

13. Dont know if you remember them but I remember carb cover/ air cleaners that looked like injection or a blower in the 80's. Get one of those your pushing well over 600 VISUAL horsepower. ...

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure that the torque converter is matched to the engine/cam/car weight/rear-end gears.

I would contact TCI or B&M tech and see what they recommend. As has been mentioned, get the trans wrong, and this could really suck.