Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stovebolt Guys: Is this a factory valve cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

So, I found this valve cover the other day.

It appears to be a '50 - '62 Stovebolt cover.

I've looked for another online, and can find chrome ones all over, but none with the script except on a few "barn find" Corvettes (and then they're all rusted, and you can barely tell that's what they are).

The metal isn't the thickest, but there's just something about this that makes me think it might not be just part of a dress-up kit.

Is this a factory chrome cover? Can anyone shed some light on this? I've pretty much scoured the internet, and am coming up short, except for those above-mentioned barn find '53/'54 Corvette pics.

Any help is appreciated, and if anybody can tell me right off, it would be the HAMB (or the guys at the Stovebolt forum, but I don't have an account there).

2. looks just like plated oe valve cover
    I got and old chrome oil filter housing from an old show car

3. Abomination

Abomination

That's what I thought, too. But did GM ever offer one plated from the factory?

I've seen a thread talking about a factory plated cover, but kind of shrugged it off (and lost the link). Then I saw the Corvettes and thought my wall trophy might be something a little more special... especially after not finding another online.

4. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Hmmm.
    When I got this engine it was out if an old 59 lowrider. I had always assumed they had these parts plated. It had a lot of chrome parts on it, peeling but chrome.
    Edit: never mind, just noticed mine has the filler in the middle. My stock 54 cover looks like that one, does it have 4 breather slots on top?
    [​IMG]

5. Abomination

Abomination

I don't think it has any breather slots up top. It's smooth.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's factory, though they were not chrome. I'm not sure what year they were first produced. Strange that you never seen one before.

7. Abomination

Abomination

I'm just not a Stovebolt guy. LOL!

Could this be part of a dress-up kit? Or do you guys think it's a chromed factory cover done by someone other than the factory?

8. squirrel

squirrel

someone had it plated.

9. Abomination

Abomination

Whew... okay. Thanks, squirrel.

I just wanted to verify I wasn't committing a multitude of sins keeping it hanging on the wall instead of passing it on, like if it was the missing piece of someone's Corvette or something. And now I know it's not part of some cheapie dress-up kit, but the real deal.

10. Abomination

Abomination

Do they pop up often?

11. squirrel

squirrel

It should be on someone's engine.

Don't see them too often.

12. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, the version with the 4 screws around the sides instead of using two hold-down nuts off the rocker train would have been like '58 ('56?) and newer. So, no rare inline Corvette version or anything. Neat dress-up part, though. K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Abomination

Abomination

THAT is what I was anting to know. I'll put it up for tradin' sometime.

Thanks, squirrel.

14. Abomination

Abomination

Believe it or not, I found it hanging in a shed when I went to pick up an old kiln for the Mrs (a Craigslist freebie).

The folks were moving, and said it had been there since they moved in (which had been a long time - they were getting on in age, and with adult children). They couldn't figure out why anybody would want it, and gladly handed it off.

Hell, until squirrel mentioned it was uncommon to see chromed in the wild, I was gonna hit it with some Windex & Turtle Wax and put it on the wall as a trophy!

This is a 3rd Gen Stovebolt: '54 - '62 235/261. The 2-bolt valve cover stopped production in '53.

15. squirrel

squirrel

The oil fill moved around, you see that picture above with the similar cover but with the fill in the center? I think that one design was used 54-58, the other one from 59-62. But I don't have good enough memory to know for sure.

16. 27troadster

27troadster

I would bet it's a stock cover that someone had plated because the "Chevrolet," oil filler, dual row of "body lines" looks exactly like the stock cover that was in my Dad's '55 first series pickup that had a 235. The original engine was replaced with a 235 out of a 57 Chevy passenger car, I don't remember which one had the script vlv cover, maybe both, we ran the script one b/c it looked cool, never thought about getting it chromed though.

Kipp

17. ..think the oil fill breather cap moved to center about 59 to clear the lower hood.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Just walked out to the shop and raised the hood on my 1958 Delray it has a 235 6 cyl. engine and valve cover has oil breather in front by thermostat housing . The valve cover in post has breather in middle? I am unsure of that valve covers year of manufacture . Don

19. Road Runner

Road Runner

Could indeed be from a factory 1954 Corvette ...

[​IMG]

Mechanically, the 1954 Corvette would be similar to the 1953. The engine was still a 235 cubic inch inline six cylinder topped a trio of Carter side draft carburetors. The appearance of the engine was altered slightly with a new valve cover. The new cover was similar to the cover used of other 1954 passenger cars. 1954 Corvettes may have been built with either a chrome or blue painted valve cover.

Source: http://www.c1vet.com/1954.HTML

20. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

maybe my memory is failing, but I thought the Corvette cover had a slight taper to the front to clear the hood. am I crazy? those that know me please refrain from answering.

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^
    Just the '53 has the sloped cover with 2 studs. A few Corvettes got chrome.
    '54 - '55 has front oil fill, still has 4 vents.
    '56 - '58 front oil fill, no vents.
    '59 up center oil fill.
    That's only pass. car - trucks vary ....
    Stock chromed covers were available from Cal Custom, Eastern Auto, Midwest, & many other speed parts dealers.