Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I've got this pile of crap

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ugliefrance, Nov 14, 2015.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Could be made into a 2 door 1/2 ton woodie....

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. sololobo

sololobo

nice stuff sitting around bro, love the Dodge and looks like a 55 Chevy sedan delivery. nice arsenal of goodies, looking forward to see how the pile o stuff turns out. Viva France

3. I like we're your going with this. I'm in subscribed.

4. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Well as is fairly obvious. I have no access to CAD and I have better things to do with my life than to learn how Photoshop works. So armed with a case of beer,2 internal doors and a 1inch paint brush. This is the plan i'm working to. Thats a 4inch chop,9inch stretch on the doors. 126ish wheel base. Finishing at about 17ft long. Still don't know on coupe or slope back?? Nearly to scale the brush leaves me a little leeway

Attached Files:

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Bonjour mon ami. What's the grey colored, "bug eyed", front end in the background? I'm guessing the primer red "Delivery" is a Ford Courier, but it's hard to see much of the car. I vote Coupe for the car/truck. Au revoir. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Front end is 38 Willys. Panel is a60/61 Ford consul 375. English. Bit like 56 Ranch wagon 2/3 size. Still not decided on body style. Get the doors made and the roof on over the weekend and see which way it pulls me

7. 73RR

73RR

...a 2/3 size Ranch wagon with a full sized FE would be quite nice...;)

MO54Frank and brokendown like this.
  8. You got my vote for best thread title ...

Jim

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

How wide is your frame? I think 34" is common

10. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

This build is so way out of the box. I love it! In my opinion, the coupe looks better, but either way it will be badass.

11. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Ok. No car building for the last couple of weeks. As I returned to the UK for some pre Christmas drinking with family and friends. Probably collapsed a few internal organs but thats the price you pay for been sociable.
    So to continue with this project I have had to finish another.
    Starting with a sheet of 8x4 ply. I cut out a large G shape. I then laid that on some 1/4 inch plate and with a plasma cutter,cut 2more G's out of steel. A bit of bending , more cutting and some welding. I now have the main part of an English wheel. I returned from the UK with large threaded bar and tube. Top wheel and lower anvils etc. So will build the slider, saddles etc this week end. Hopefully is will all be straight and work fine. Now to lock myself in the garage for 2weeks and with luck when I re-emerge the silly season will have finished. Joueux Noel to you all.

Attached Files:

12. indyjps

indyjps

Love the build, this will be very interesting, do you have a donor for the glass?

I find it funny that you went to the UK to get parts for your English wheel.

Keep the posts coming.

13. Just like Henry in 1891...gee whiz I think I'll build a car, but first I need to to create the English wheel. That works for me!

14. millersgarage

millersgarage

This could get good

15. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Well I could have used a piece of 3inch plate,but it wouldn't look as cool. Can't wait to smash my hands into those edges. So that was todays work. Saddle and slider for lower anvil. Will just weld a flex plate to the bottom of the tread for adjustment. Fit a proper bolt to the top wheel and dress those edges and round off the points where my hands are going to hit. You lot might just be waking up but i'm off to the pub.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and czuch like this.
  16. Just catching up with this. Pretty creative use of the parts, I agree your design has an AU sloper feel to it.

If you put smaller tires on front you will not have to create such a large reshaping of the curvature.

17. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Well another day of rain so another day in the garage. Cut the old B posts off the cab back. Then had a play on the wheel. Seems to work fine. Plus couldn't find the edge setter. So I used the box and pan folder to set the edges. A bit haughty but I got away with it. Then I rolled a new door centre,cut the door in half and set it in. 11 inches longer. It seems a lot but it was a pickup and they tend to have shorter doors and it measures up to that fine sketch I did. Thinking out loud. Feedback is welcome. Thinking I might just reshape the hole on the front fenders. So they always have a hole in them and the tyres stick through when parked. Just make sure the wheels are straight when its lowered. Think I might suicide the doors as well. Well its beer o'clock again

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. Anyone that's going to build a coupe out of truck is alright by me

MyCrustyVW, czuch, OahuEli and 2 others like this.
  19. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

So another day of rain and still in the garage,May have to sell this and get some wood in to start on an ark. Well 11 inches was too much. So the doors are 7 inches wider now. Rolled the bottom the door and radiused the corners. Chopped the door,went for 3 1/2 inches. Then bodged up a couple of bits of tin to make the curve I want on the back of the doors and welded that in. Chopped the roof and trial fitted that. Pulled the hinge out of the hood whilst I was thinking what to do next. Put the door on and mocked it up. Hope you can see where i'm going with this. Cheers for now

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and jkluge like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

“I wish I had your passion, Ray — misdirected though it might be, it is still a passion. ..."- a movie quote that came to mind. I will be watching and enjoying your progress. Merry silly season.

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting pile of pieces.
    From experience you don't have to be able to photoshop if you are willing to chop photos with a sissors and tape From my own "what would it look like using a fellow Hamber's truck as the start of my cut here and tape there exercise to see how my truck would look sectioned with a 9-1/4 inch stretch in the doors.
    [​IMG][/

22. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Now its sort of going in the right direction. Spent 2 days dicking about learning how to use an English wheel. Managed to turn a few sheets of 18 gauge into a pile of shit. Then I started see what you can do with it. I had read up on the subject and asked mates about it but its not the same as practical experience. So its slowly getting better. So what happened today? Made the top of the door frame,mocked up a few bits of bar for a general shape. Built a central wooden spine. Which is my centre line/data point and profile. Thats what i'm working to. For better or worse. But plans can change! Then just bodged the roof on

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. WRECKER

WRECKER

Glad to see you've got your mojo back Ugs
    Just keep going at this pace and don't get side tracked by anything else.
    Jo is now kicking my but to get back into the shoebox.
    Have a bon noel and keep it coming

24. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Way out of the box thinking. I love it. Keep it up!

25. Looks like a pile of beautiful to me.

If you have a pile of anything that even remotely resembles what may have been a car at one time or another and give it to a European it will becomes a thing of beauty. They have proven it time and time again. :cool:

Hey @ugliefrance a little off topic for this thread but I just have to know. What is that front end on the background? Its not from the truck but I would still like to know.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man this is one cool project! Looking forward to watching your progress.

27. Out of the box I love it

28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those parts look OD Green and painted in "blackout" I wonder if that could have been a wartime truck. It's a very neat build, thanks for sharing.