Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Chevy Business Coupe - Garage Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Voh

Voh

So for about 28 years of my life, I have had my eye on this 5-window coupe. It has been the basis of conversation at nearly every family function and most likely the reason I enjoy these things so much now. It, as well as other cars, has always been something that grandpa and I talked about. Many times he and I spent walking car shows where I was always amazed by how much he knew, or how many he actually had over his lifetime. by far the BEST was he, my dad and I walking the Detroit Autorama a few years back. He held out walking most of it, but ultimately wheeled him around the rest of the show.

Grandpa bought the coupe in 1971 and wheeled into the second stall of his garage where she has been patiently waiting attention. As with many of us, life goes fast! faster that we think or even expect. He had collected some parts over the years, always saying that once "such and such" was better he was going to work on it. More than a few attempts of trying to wrench on it for him, it was starting to become clear he wasn't going to get it done, or begin for that matter. Late summer he realized it as well, telling me he prolly wasn't going to get it done. Words like that will make any grown man cry. Its never easy to see a gentle giant reduced to nothing but a fragile old man, and one that knows his time is limited at that.

Sadly in early October grandpa passed away.

Dad had the task of cleaning out the garage and thus brought the coupe to south Texas for its next life. Its in the garage and plans are to have it on the road for its 80th birthday in 2017. Here are some of the pics, fist in the garage where it has slept for 40+ years, and some in the drive this last weekend. There are a TON of old general NOS parts (not just for the '37) that I got as well. I will be posting some of those later as well.

Attached Files:

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I fell in love with one of these at a young age too - it was in a tobacco barn on our family farm - vandalized and rusted nearley beyond recognition......the barn is long gone, but the cars remains are still there 30 years later.....

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent !! You'll have a lot of fun getting it back on the road. '37 Chevy coupes are one of my favorite cars (I have a '37 Rumble seat Sports Coupe). Make sure to take a lot of pics and start a build thread on HAMB. What are your plans for it?

I have lots of books and info for the '37, so if I can answer any questions, I'd be happy to do so.

4. Nice looking coupe.Grandfather would be proud.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - great way to keep the Family ties alive

6. Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I hope you get it on the road for your Dad. Keep us posted with updates and pics. Looks like you have a great start.
    Tom

7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Twice a year I visit a friend who retired in hopes of buying the great aunts 37 Chevy coupe in their barn, the owner is in her mid 80's & doesn't care to sell it. Maybe someday thru persistence, who knows. You have a beautiful piece of your families history in that 37 & new memories to be made. I'm fixing up our families 5 generation car too. Wish it was a 37 coupe! Flux

8. I grew up in the 70-80's going to rod runs in a 38 chev coupe with my family. I have a soft spot for a 37. Get after it and make your Grandpa proud!

9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Voh

You have a nice story with your Gramp and all, how are you going to put it together for what kind of look?

37's for ever !!!

DND

10. Voh

Voh

Thank you all for the kind words!

The plan is for a little more modern driveline. I had anticipated the knee-action front end, but it's got a straight axle. That that was gonna work, but it's a bastard install from before even grandpa. Prolly go CE MII like my '41.

These aren't Chevys, but the style is there...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448429027.726178.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448429046.523792.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448429081.477676.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448429099.503879.jpg

Of course I have always loved this one..
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448429135.355920.jpg

kiwijeff and i.rant like this.
  11. robortegon

robortegon

Love the Harry Westergard style.

12. indyjps

indyjps

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.

Those pics bring back some memories, a friends dad had a 37 coupe stashed away, same brown primer, 327 4 spd. We sat in that car many times making vroom noises as kids. That car is back on the road

I've got a 37 coupe spotted, owner is willing to talk, I haven't jumped yet, it'll need about a mile of welding wire. Owner claims fenders, hood bumpers etc are all there stored inside, car has title.

Please keep the thread going, I wanna see what I'm in for if I make a move on it.

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm sure your could honour grandpa and finish it as a tribute to him. I'm sure sure he'd appreciate that and we'd love to see it.

14. raymay

raymay

Your Grandpa had good taste with the 37 Chevy. Always liked them and have had several 37 Chevy cars and trucks including a coupe which was my first one back in the 70's.
    Looks like you have the making of a great build that would have made your Grandpa proud. Good luck and have fun with it.

10-14-2013_006.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Voh

Voh

Thanks for all the kind words guys. The two are still in the house garage, awaiting the transfer out to the shop. The floor was sealed yesterday and today. Doors should start shortly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Voh,

I love the backlit sign on the front of your garage and the three overhead light fixtures. Your garage has a really neat "old time" vibe.

Thor

17. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Shame you and your Dad couldn't get it done before your Grandpa passed away. Get it fixed up and honor his memory. I'm sure he will be there with you the 1st time you drive it.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

This borders on "too nice", :rolleyes: Outstanding

19. Voh

Voh

Well, she is finally out in the shop... Disassembly will begin very soon....

Attached Files:

20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one, I think it was made by Jo-Han and was 1/43 scale, had a soft spot for late 30's Chevys ever since.

21. Voh

Voh

Started the tear down.

[​IMG]

22. I, too, have a soft spot for 37-38 Stovebolts...Dad had a 38 2-door sedan up until a couple years ago.

As for the "new shop", that is stellar!! More shots of the interior and general construction would be great, but probably not here. Maybe on the Garage Journal???

Carry on, Voh!!!!

23. Voh

Voh

I have it on the GarageJournal.com at
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268825

or there are some early construction photos of the shop in my albums.

24. Voh

Voh

Well, we have been going at this thing at a steady pace. Today was a HUGE day, in that I got the body braced up inside and separated the body and the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Chucky, kiwijeff, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  25. Voh

Voh

Well the frame is getting cleaned up and awaiting a few repairs.
    IMG_0867.JPG

Got the body moved around to the other side and out of the way for a bit while I work on the frame.
    IMG_0900.JPG

Helpers are always good!
    IMG_0899.JPG

Dad has picked out the colors for at least this first round of fun. It will be a Cordoba tan similar to below:
    IMG_0879.JPG

Paul B likes this.
  26. Voh

Voh

Got some frame work done on Saturday.

IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0930.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

27. Voh

Voh

I w IMG_1010.JPG as able to get the frames ends repaired.

IMG_1009.JPG

28. choptop40

choptop40

Looking good , love the shop...

29. Nice work, those Chevy "top hat" style frames are pretty good being an enclosed box section, but always amazed at how thin the actual metal is. Good job on the repairs so far, the body looks very nice condition.

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

NICE CAR ID LIKE THAT ONE