Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This A's the one...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BiscayneBrain, Sep 7, 2015.

1. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I'm pretty sure this is Chris's banger coupe. One of the best overall appearances of a full fendered "A" coupe, sitting just right. But I'm sorry but unless the coupe is chopped it just looks a little too top heavy without fenders, but hey that's just my opinion which is worth about $.02.:cool:

Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Bader2

Bader2

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Goodamn that low, good looking and a good advocate for fenders is not bad.
    How did you get it that low? Drop and with a narrow front axle.
    It tugs those tires so nice!

What does FTF mean?

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm thinking, F!$& The Fenders!

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Looking good man!

6. Or Free the Firestones for when the kids are around.

7. Muttley

Muttley

OK, but only because you asked nicely............

[​IMG]

8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Looks Great !
    may i ask what head lights and mounts?
    Thanks

9. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

After 556.8 miles I've got a flathead for the A. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am.

It's a '53 that ran well and was supposedly rebuilt. I'm planning on installing it basically as is. I didn't know that the water pumps were also the engine mounts although it seems that water pumps with pulleys closer to the block would be better. I think the trans is from an F1 due to the open drive. Not sure of the gearing. Makes me think that I may want to just put in a Ford 9 or 8".
    Many questions to come. Seems like there's a few of us new to building on here right now.
    DSCN0669.JPG DSCN0667.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  10. cmichael

cmichael

Looking good! I like where your going!

11. Ditto !

12. I like where this is headed, keep up the good work. :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I'm a fan of build how you want.... I also removed fenders from a nice model A. my license plate / tail light center mount...[​IMG]

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Re : your engine. It says "8BA" on the heads, which would be '49-'51 oassenger car; "8RT" would be a truck engine and "EAB" would be '52-'53 car. Of course, the heads could have been changed, but replacing EAB's with 8BA's would be a step backwards. Also, that engine has truck water pumps and a wide belt. You will need those to put it into your Model A.

joel likes this.
  15. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

X's Two on the axle????????

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Thanks for the info. I believe I read somewhere that earlier water pumps can get the pulleys, fan ect closer to the block. I would like to install this into the car with a mechanical fan and no modifications to the firewall. I believe it can be done. I also would like to put an earlier style aluminum head of some sort later into the process.

17. It's gonna be nice. Opinions on here are valuable but in the end, make it yours and have fun.
    Digging the lack 'O fenders (or LOF vs FTF) and the flatty. Another SBC will have to wait for adoption.:(

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wide belt set up is what you want. The later, 2 narrow belt setup takes more room. This is the best you can do without spending time and money on something custom made.

19. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Keep the fenders!

20. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Makes sense. I was just admiring the flathead and noticed the belt is about a belts width away from the distributor. Thanks for the info! Too bad the fan blade got bent while we were putting it in the truck.

21. Are you guys saying that a wide belt truck set up is better than a early 33-36 set up with a single belt and a generator mounted fan? It's been awhile for me. But from what I can remember, the early single belt and gen mounted pulley. Is the only way to get a flathead in a model A, with a mechanical fan and without cutting the firewall.

Outback likes this.
  22. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Is this a Dana rear out of a T-Bird? I have one out of a 55 that looks a lot like that.

23. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

I am with the fender crowd but I am going to run fenderless when the car goes to TROG. Fenders will go on after.
    As far as rearend a 8 or 9 it takes away from the look in my opinion. Just do a open drive conversion on your A rear.

24. Wardog

Wardog

I had the same thoughts as you when I bought my coupe. 3 years later I still haven't pulled the fenders. My tip is to do one thing at a time and keep it on the road. Drive it around after every mod and see how you like it. Mine is essentially stock lowered, 17" wires, dropped headlight bar, no spare or bumpers and some brake floaters. I'm having a lot of fun in it.

jerseyboy and Tiny like this.
  25. Wardog

Wardog

I put the stock horn under the carb mounted to the chassis.
    I also made a hood. image.jpeg

Outback, Jet96, Tiny and 3 others like this.
  26. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

the Center section is an aluminum Dana 44 out of a (cough-cough) Jeep Grand Cherokee...
    there's a little more info in my signature build thread linky....

Muttley likes this.
  27. I'll be following along on this one. My dad and I are going to start a 5-window A project next year. Trying to figure out which direction to go with it and I really like the way yours is turning out. I'm going to show this thread to my dad the next time I see him. Plus I see you are local as well. Maybe I'll see you at some of the shows next season. Keep up the good work

28. Bader2

Bader2

Blc 904a on dropped stainless bar.

29. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I’m a fool for having sold this car. Been playing around with a Biscayne for the past 3 years. I now know where my heart truly is. All I can think about is getting back into a 30s Ford. Vintage Hot Rods it is for me.

crminal and Blues4U like this.
  30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that funny 2 speed is a Mitchel overdrive and if you call Mitchel , you'll find it is a great addition to your car. Keep the fenders. Long ago, they were removed to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics for WOT speed runs. I don't think you're headed down that path. Nice car.