Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pre-Watson Flames

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Actually, the early flame style to which you are referring, Jay, is not only pre-Watson, but also pre-Jeffries (who came along after Dutch and before Watson, with the seaweed-type flames). Dutch actually did the first "modern" flames, akin to the seaweed, on that Mercedes Gullwing. It was elegant, one of a kind and not to be repeated, to this day.

2. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

3. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I love this truck. It has some of the most interesting pin striping I've ever seen, and the peacocks on the inner doors are amazing. God damn time machine.

4. I had the 3 in 1 AMT kits from the early 60s in mind when I did these, 'tho the time frame would be a bit later than Dutch, Jeffries and Watson..
    MyDeuce.jpg

Dave

p.s. They had to have the "heavy" white striping - even though there was pressure from everyone to do the narrower light blue. No way!

Martin Harris likes this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

There are more flame jobs that wreck a rod or custom, than there are one that don't.

6. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

There is a real skill to making both sides different but keeping the design balanced. Nice job.

7. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

8. blackout78666

blackout78666

Love these old style flame jobs. A lot of dutchs stuff would be consider crude by what followed him but I love those early
    Flames. Seem to
    Recall a salt flats car that had jalapeños or red pepper flames. Not " traditional" but killer!