Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stack injection for classic V8s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RichFox, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, think we could go 235.226 with it in my coupe?:D

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No. The Packard only went 155 when my friends took it to the salt. Lincoln is better than the Packard. But not that much better.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You really think so? Serious question here, not trying to start a pissing match. I dont know that much about the Lincolns, but I would have thought it would be the other way around? Can you expand a little? I always thought that for the era, the Packard had a pretty good cylinder head.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The ports and valves, as I remember them, on the Packard were smaller than the Lincoln. The center exhaust port was Siamesd. Fairly small cam bores in the block causes a wobbley cam. Some what like Buddys Cad, the right bank and left bank are not firmly stuck togeather. There are some good reasons that 55 Packard and 57 Lincolns never became popular race engines. But the Lincoln has cool valve covers. And I liked puting the Packard on the salt.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hadn't thought about the cam bores, good point. I will have to do a little research on the Lincolns, thanks for the info. And well, the Packard script valve covers are pretty damned cool in thier own right.:D

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, CSA should be taken into account as well, but then the math gets crazy. Nowadays, Larry Meaux' "Pipemax" program is a better way to do it.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes, but. I had to put that script on the covers myself. It was originally on the fender. I used 2-56 screws to attach the script to the rocker box. Did a story on it for the Bonneville Racing News and maybe here. Don't remember. Also the Packard lifter bores are kind of hanging out there in space. Looks like a really aggressive cam might knock one off. As you can see the Lincoln valley is well supported.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So i finally sprung the bucks for nozzles and hoses. So the manifold is done. Here it is. Not sure what I will do with it.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, that looks REAL good!

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yeah it looks good. Wonder how it would run. I voted today. RF

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That would look neat in an open engined roadster....

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks for the votes, Rich!

13. Looks good Rich!

14. Beau

Beau

COOL! I'm running a 215 in my modified and speed parts are not easy to find or afford. The 215 has a valley pan so this would be ideal.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Easily done and SBC injectors are the cheapest on the bay. Pluse it's nice to repurpose them to something good.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. willo_96

willo_96

That's cool, love conversions like this, nice work. I did see a picture of a chev hilborn setup on a 292, 312 Y Block, carn't find the picture though. Again nice work.

17. muddman355

muddman355
    from sydney

Silly question but what motor are the throttles off? I been looking for something similar off a standard issue car rather than buying new aftermarket throttle bodies

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Small block Chevy. Most common and pretty cheap from some old sprint car.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For what it is worth, here are some pictures of other MFI deals I have done for a banger. One uses EFI throttle bodies from a 4.6 SOHC Ford and one uses throttle bodies from a Suzuki 750RSX. Also a Packard using early Pontiac throttle bodies. Might give you some ideas. It's pretty much what ever you want to do. fins.JPG hondainj.JPG img66.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  20. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"MFI deals I have done for a banger. One uses EFI throttle bodies from a 4.6 SOHC Ford and one uses throttle bodies from a Suzuki 750RSX."

I'd love to see a complete tech thread on the injection systems with the Ford and Suzuki throttle bodies!

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I built the Suzuki unit, I didn't do computers. When I built the one with Ford 4.6 TBs I had aa a tech feature for the Bonneville Racing News and the 12 Port News on making the same unit but for a 261 Chevy six. It has 3 TBs. Here is a construction of one for a Buick 8 and a close up of the one on the Plymouth. You can always PM me if there is something you want to know. It's just a Hilborn MFI with a home made mainafold to fit strange engines.

Attached Files:

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

moefuzz likes this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I did see that. Honestly still surprised, with a 300cfm intake port, I would have expected more power. I really like the Packard V8's, I already have way too many cars/projects, and I'm 55, so that that particular love should probably remain unrequited, but I sure like them.

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well, hell. I'm 72 now. I was way past 55 when I ran the Packard. You got years of screwing around ahead of you.

25. agreed indeed!

26. Well I like it well enough. We used to use injectors for a 326 Poncho as they seemed pretty universal but the Chevy stacks are a lot easier to come by these days.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

True, but I already have 9 project cars and one project bike. I figure by the time I kick off, my daughter will be 20+, maybe SHE can finish the last 2-3...:eek::p
    I always thought it would be really neat to put one in a full fendered '33/'34 ford PU with a full hood and a Packard OD.

28. LOL drove a Stude ( not mine) for a while with a nearly stock Packard V-8. I liked it real well for a drivin around car. I have chatted with a few over the years that have raced them and about everyone I have chatted with praised them real well. One roundy round guy from 'bama said he liked his in his short track car because once you got it into high gear all you had to do was stand on it and hang onto the wheel. :D

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well I always thought I would like to see one on the salt. We don't have forever, as you know. So we need to pick our "I always wanted to do that" projects. I got the 32 Plymouth with a Y block head and the Packard out of the way. And the GMC on the salt. Guess I can't complain.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Exactly! you have to pick your battles. There are SO MANY cars I've "always wanted" I would have to live about 300 yrs to do them all!