Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Info on this car, Rubadub

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Oct 9, 2015.

1. oj

oj

I need some info from the original builder of this car, I cannot find the receiver box for the fob. Any help is appreciated. I think the car came from the Detroit area, and it has a decal from the '98 Power Tour as well as one from Las Vegas. It is a '49 Nash called Rubadub.
    Thanks, oj

Attached Files:

2. I'm sure that was in the San Francisco Bay area 15 years ago. I saw it at a Goodguys show in Pleasanton a few times. Can't be two Purple Nashes with three spoke wheels.

3. Here's what I just found out. It was built in Washington state. I did see the car at Pleasanton a few times, as a friend of mine bought it there, then sold it and doesn't know where it went. The owner died 20 years ago, that name is forgotten. I sent pictures to my friend and he said it's the car he bought. Here's his reply, "My friend from Washington state 25 years ago had a purple one chopped. Have you ever seen it ? Thks for your picture I bought it at pleasanton. But have no Idea where it went. Sold it for 25 k .I do remember that. Was Built In Washington. The owner died 20 years ago .I forgot his name but do remember he had 2 bad knee s and had a hard time walking and getting out of the car .yes the chopped one I did buy.1991"

oj likes this.

4. verde742

verde742

Pretty sure His name was Butch Leonard.. Big nice guy w/ bad knees

oj likes this.
  5. Correct. Butch Built that car. He was a friend of mine, and to many others. Best now for his multiple buicks.

oj likes this.
  6. Wish I could help you with info...on the Nash. Butch passed in 2002. He built the Nash prior to Moving to Bend ORegon He had bad hips although he had them both replaced. His last driver was a 32 Roadster which was made from a coupe, ran a straight 8 buick which still held the record at Bonneville. The car sits in the Peterson Museum . I still miss him.

7. oj

oj

Thanks guys, that is very good information. Any idea who his electrician might have been? It is very professionally done, fabricated circuit boards and all numbered wireing - very complex. The last problem I need to fix - which is a testimant to those that built the car 15-20odd years ago or so - is the receiver has a bad channel and the passenger door won't open on the fob. The receiver is very well hidden, I have had most of the interior out from front seat thru the finished trunk without luck. It isn't just up under the dash hidden in plain sight.
    Thanks again.

8. I do remember the car having Washington plates. It seems like it was always at the Pleasanton Goodguys show in August.

9. verde742

verde742

Get a hold of Don Richardson, the guy that owns the 39 Ford coupe that was built by Doug Rice, and revived by Don. He's a really nice guy, I am quite sure he will share with you, anything ya need to know.

The Nash was actually built, assembled, Painted, and etc, at Richardson's Custom Auto Body. Hoquium, Wash. Ph. 360-533-3099

Butch had a big Buick Convert, drove everywhere, for quite few years.
    Had a trucking business, as I recall.

oj likes this.
  10. oj

oj

You my brand new best buddy! Thankee Sir! I'll call him later today and maybe we'll get lucky. Thats some great info, I appreciate it.

302GMC likes this.
  11. oj

oj

I just spoke with Don Richardson, he recalls Butch and confirms it is the same car but he didn't do the work.
    Darn!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. verde742

verde742

Damn, Here I thought I was a hero !!!!!

Did he say who it might be? I will make some phone calls..

13. oj

oj

No, you done good. He said that he has done another car for Butch, he remembers this one but not the builder. He is trying to think who might know.

verde742 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. oj

oj

Still looking.

15. oj

oj

[QUOTE="verde742, post: he knows the car, the guy, and all of Butch's buddies. (that are still alive, probably dead ones also):rolleyes::D[/QUOTE]

Is there an eliminated post here? I called Bob Jaspers' Upholstery and he remembers the car quite well, he did the upholstery and said it was done at Rain City Rod & Customs. I couldn't find a listing for them. Bob also said the car was in 'Custom Rodder, July '94 and I found a copy on ebay, it is on its way.
    I just received the electrical bits and pieces and plan to do the electrical on Monday.
    Thanks again for all your help.

16. oj

oj

Yup. I had quite a talk with Bob. I spoke with him and he provided the info I reported on. He then called me later and we must've talked for an hour. He's quite a guy, too bad he don't have a computer to join on the HAMB. He's the real deal, thank you for the contact.
    Let me send you one of my World Renouned Shop Aprons, as worn by the most descriminating bullshitters. Pm me your address, you deserve one.

17. verde742

verde742

Glad ya like Bob, He is a real Hot Rodder, does it all, upholstery, modifications, etc..
    known him of of him since I was a teen,,,(I am almost 72 yrs old now)
    haven't even seen him in along time, but HE is famous.

You don't need to send apron ta me, but I will wear it with pride..
    Bob Huffman
    742 e. palo verde
    Gilbert, Az. 85296

Thanks in advance..

Bob