Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can you fit a double bass in a Model A sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey everyone

I just wondered if anyone has had any experience trying to fit a double bass into a Ford Model A sedan? I have long been considering the practicality of building one of these as my next project. I have a thriving career as a double bass player and wondered that if I were to drive a model A, whether I would be able to throw my gear into the back? I would be fine running the A without a back seat to make more room. Kooky question I know, but a real world issue for me! Keen to hear people's advice and experiences with these little cars.

Cheers

J

2. redo32

redo32

Model A sedan deliverys still pop up occasionally. They used to make fiberglass kits that bolted together for the '28 & 29's.

3. With a fold down passenger seat I bet it would.

How big is a double bass ?

patmanta likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A fellow I know just built a Model tudor and added a sedan delivery rear door. He also used small Hyundai style fold down rear seats that tilt forward leaving a flat rear floor area, lots of storage for whatever. I've been meaning to get some photos. Great idea.

Jasper6120 likes this.

5. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

My double bass stands just about 6ft tall. 3/8ths of the over all length is the neck, which can sit between the front seats I would say, leaving just over 3ft of the larger part of the bass to occupy the rear section.

6. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

That really does sound like the best of all worlds. I could easily get the bass over the front seat in the absence of a delivery door, but whether the bass itself is too big however..

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

it will fit jasper... Put the body where the back seat area is.. have the neck out between the front seats if you have buckets... or lay it over stock bench back... its not an easy fit but will fit with some work... I second removing the back seat and having a fold down pass seat.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I would be amazed if it did.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A very kooky question, but a valid one indeed. I had a guy interested in my old Volvo Amazon , and his one stipulation was , like you, his stand-up bass had to fit in it. He asked me if it would, and my only answer was ... I dunno !? He drove all the way from Connecticut with his bass , we tried every possible combination, and figured out that it would fit, but was way too much of a pain in the ass to make it feasible. The guitar itself is one thing, but in a case was another. He was very bummed that it didn't fit, but what ya gonna do? It was such a sight, somewhere I have pics of us trying to fit it in.

Not really an answer to your question, but hopefully will help in some way, shape, or form.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Can we see a picture of the base? Maybe with a tape measure next to it?

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

As someone who's been around dog-house bass's occasionally, I got serious doubts, sorry.

Blues4U likes this.
  12. Well, you could always go this route.... image.jpg

kiwijeff, little red 50 and patmanta like this.
  13. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Add a roll-down back window.

14. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Over all bass length is 72". The body takes up 44" of the over all height, leaving a the neck at 28".

Attached Files:

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Roof rack and a waterproof case.

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

leave the top filler canvas off. or make it slide back like an old bug or Citroen 2CV

17. Squablow

Squablow

Even if it does fit, it'll have to be not channeled or chopped, and you'll either have to use the cowl gas tank or maybe a '32 style gas tank, no room for a tank in the back with that thing. The delivery style rear door would probably be the way to go, and you may not be able to bring a passenger. I've you've ever driven a Model A, you know there is no room "between the seats". A roof insert like a snap-on tonneau or a slider might be wise as well.

A weatherproof case and a roof rack, or a pickup truck, might be a lot more practical, and would sure look interesting driving down the road. That could be your hook.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gees, reading the title I thought he misspelled "Pass" and was talking a bout a radiator! :D:D:D:D:D Not awake yet..[best excuse I got]

19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

How many doors are you thinking? Tudor or Fordor?
    If you got any buddies with a Sedan, maybe ask real nice if you can see if your bass case will have any hope of getting in there.

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I've hauled my upright in several old cars (but never a Model A), including a '50 Chevy, '59 Chevy, '67 Volvo 122s, and a '65 Econoline. Other than the van it was easiest to fit in the Volvo because the front seat folded forward and completely flat. Slipped right in diagonally. No problem. The Chevys were the biggest cars, but the hardest to cram the bass into because the seat only partially folded forward and the '59 has a somewhat low roof. I've fit the bass in cars as small as a Acura Integra and VW New Beetle. It all depends on how inventive you can be with packing and how many passengers you can afford to leave at home. :) When building your A, keep the bass in mind. I bet if you installed flat-folding front seats you'd have no problem at all.

Jasper6120 likes this.
  21. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

1/2 ,3/4 or 4/4 size? I carried a 3/4 and a 1/2 in a 2000 SAAB once. of course the half had the neck broken off. ( I fix old fiddles).
    I would bet a 1/2 would fit and a 3/4 might if the front seat folds forward.

czuch likes this.
  22. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I don't know if this bit of info helps but I currently drive around in a wretched old 93 Commodore; my in between cool cars car. It fits in the back with the back end of the bass sitting behind the drivers seat and the neck going between the two front seats and ending diagonally across the passenger front seat.

23. Brentphx

Brentphx

My 3/4 upright would probably have baaaaarely fit through the door with the bridge in place on my dad's 29 Tudor . I'm not positive it would have made it past the seat though.

24. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Is your dads 29 body stock? I'd ideally like dimensions some what like this car:

Attached Files:

25. Brentphx

Brentphx

Stock roof height. I think that if the seat laid back instead of forward it'd have better luck getting inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But maybe if you go from the driver side pin first , bridge to the roof, then rotate it around the b pillar it'd slide to the back seat... With stock seats anyway... Or just drop your bridge and retune at the gig and you'll be fine.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444361184.914534.jpg

26. Just discovered this thread...I thump a 3/4 occasionally in a bluegrass jam... Actually haul my bass in an OT pickup , so lots of room...but, check this YouTube video from Upton Bass....tells how to haul one in Mini Minor.!!!

I'll bet a flat-folding passenger seat is the real solution..
    Stan

27. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

And suicide doors.

28. fourbanga

fourbanga
    from Australia

Go full gendered and strap it to the running board!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. fourbanga

fourbanga
    from Australia

I meant full fendered bloody auto correct!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

clem likes this.
  30. clem

clem

Hard to get large items in these types of cars. Perhaps as others have said, sedan delivery, or pickup or tourer ! Best of both worlds. You will love driving to your gigs in one of these.