Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjjmm56, Oct 6, 2015.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I'm needing to replace my 42-48 ford spindles due to pitting on the bearing surface. Looking thru the speedway catalog found some that cover 28-49 with new kingpins and bushings. Anyone use these?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I have a set, they fit up fine, but I haven't driven on them yet. I think there are more than a few guys running them on here. I would only buy the ones with the fitted pins personally, but I don't have a reamer currently.

3. I have a set,- went together good. 12,ooo miles so far and NO problems. Bob

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We put their Chevy spindles on my Sons T bucket and they were a nice piece. 5 years later they are still working well. I would not be afraid to use their Ford version at all.

Don

5. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I took my CE round back spindles to the local machine shop for pressing 4 new bushing in and honing to size for new pins. This was recommended by old time hot rodder to use a shop that could hone pistons for wrist pins much better then using the reamer method. Cost was $70 for honing.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I loaned my reamer to my brother. He says he 'lost it', but smokes lots of wacky tobacky. I think he traded it for a 'lid'.
    Anyway...I replaced the bushings in my '40 round spindles, then took them to the local shop here, (Atwater) and gave them to the 'machinist' to hone (Sunnen rod hone)
    I told him the 'values' were tight, and please just hone them to spec.
    In his 'infinite wisdom', the dumb shit honed them to the next .003" (!) and when I dropped the king pins in, they were 'legally worn out'!
    Bastard honed 'em loose enough to shimmy.
    Luckily, I found a Model A & V8 parts house that sells just the bushings. Oh, and the guy my jackass brother traded the tool for weed happened to stop by here, needing his Solex carbs rebuilt. When I mentioned the reamer, he said "I saw the Ford logo on that thing, and figured it might belong to you..."
    He returned my hone, plus paid the full tariff for my job on his carbs!
    I didn't 'burn one' with him when asked, however. I have my standards. We had a beer.

crminal and patmanta like this.
  7. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

The bushings I'm not worried about I have reamers and access to a sunnen hone. My problem is where the bearings contact the spindle, it's very pitted and the inner race of the brg is loose on the spndle. Thanks for the info

8. I would have burned one with him, but its not yet legal here and I never pass up a chance to break the law. :D

I probably shouldn't say this but I use a little bitty cylinder hone and my drill press.

I don't think that the speedway spindles are a bad choice. I wouldn't buy them personally but I haven't seen any bad press on them and trust me if someone on here has a problem with a product thy don't think twice about telling it. ;)

9. I run a set, and they work fine. Lots of street driving and running down the drag strip. If I cant mess them up they are fine. LOL!

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Interestingly enough, when I went through the Speedway CNC shop in June, they were working on spindles. What was more interesting was the use of patterns created on a 3D printer.

11. Ole don

Ole don

If the inner bearing is just a bit loose, use a center punch on the spindle all the way around, then file the bumps down until the bearing fits tighter. A good job of this will last for many miles.

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

we call that "staking" the bearing, though I've never filed down the bumps after pinging with a center punch. I've mounted many a bearing race on worn surfaces with that technique and using a little Locktite retaining compound with good success.

13. pnevells

pnevells

We have them on our altered, assembled fine no issues