Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** October 2015 Banger Meet - Shadows Getting Shorter in Aus and NZ ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Do you have the specs for that Winfield cam? I'm not familiar with that number. I have 2 different versions of the Winfield SU1R cam and I'm currently running a SU1A. I had a Winfield flat head V8 cam that was marked 3/4 and I believe from the way it was stamped it was an authentic Winfield cam.

2. That engine is BADASS!!!!!
    You should've put a 5 main girdle under it!
    I almost did the same thing as you but with an Iron crow's foot Winfield Red head!
    This is an expensive hobby/habit we have!
    With all the failures comes experience! (at a cost!)
    Joe

3. Hi,
    I have the cam buried with other things, I'm not into hanging my valuable parts on the wall...lol
    I'm not sure of the specs, I'm not in possession of the cam card but when I have time I'll put a dial indicator to it and send you a p.m. with the specs.
    thanks,
    Joe

4. out plowing

out plowing

Hey did anyone find the contact information on the Newens side magneto drive that @hot-irons posted last month?

5. Yes I have it!:D
    He sent it to me in a P.M.
    Should I post it or P.M. it to you?

6. 97

Unless it is a secret:eek: , maybe it should be posted and also added to the banger links???

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  7. Hi, I just left a message with Luke.
    He's the guy that makes them. I want permission from him before I post his phone number out for everyone to see. Who know's, maybe he isn't making them anymore?
    I promise though, if he says yes. I will post it right away!
    Thanks,
    Joe

8. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Sprayed a little paint on my roadster today

Attached Files:

barrnone50 and out plowing like this.
  9. I am running a 42 pound flywheel on a stock A crank, Winfield 6-1 head and Winfield Model S BB carb with a B cam. So far it works for me. Fingers crossed.

10. Is it a true B cam or an a reground to a B profile? If it's a true B, are you running B tappets? If so, where'd you find them?

I'd like to hear/see more of your setup!!

I'm planning on a police head, Holley 94 on an Assen aluminum intake, home fabbed headers (Yapp double slingshot style) with a Mallory dual point. Hoping the lightened flywheel helps it rev a little more freely without undue vibration. Might consider the harmonic balancer if I can get a clue on how to make it work!!

11. It is a Brierley A cam with a B grind. Runs smooth at 55 to 60 mph.

12. out plowing

out plowing

If you could pm it to me, that would be awesome. Even if he's stopped making them I'd still like to talk to him about it.

13. edfueler

edfueler

Hey There, Joe. This is Ed from Australia. Yeah, I reckon I'd be interested in a harmonic balancer with a pulley if it were a bolt up affair. Figure out a price.

out plowing likes this.
  14. edfueler

edfueler

870 miles round trip avoiding the highways to do a little dirt dragging at Chopped ( Newstead, Victoria, Australia) roadside repairs, and camping under the stars. Pretty darned good fun, all up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

15. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Sounds like a gas edfueler! I love road trips, especially out of the norm ones!!
    More pics and more of the story if you can. Great looking cars too, more info on them as well.

16. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

17. Looks like lot's of fun!
    I used to only take back roads. If I would have stuck to them back roads, I would have never needed an expensive oil pressurized engine. (my car would still be running!)
    But, I must honestly say it's so fun blasting down the freeway being able to keep up or pass just about any car! One of my 3 pressurized engines got my little (not lowered 31 with friction shocks) up to 110 MPH, it was still pulling hard! (the F1 steering box was one of the best upgrades) . I have a very reputable "banger" engine builder who was my passenger/witness when I did it.
    He has built the lower end of a Banger powered car that has the (NOW) speed record on the salt and the lake!
    I was asked not to say his name, so please don't ask.
    I can however say who was in the car with me though. Ha ha
    Joe

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  18. Thanks, I will let everyone know once we make one that is a bolt on.
    Joe

19. Joe is this builder a local?

20. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

The paint color was supposed to be ford dark blue but the kid messed it up and it came out light blue, so we added more blue and a bit of black. I can get the formula if you'd like.

21. Yep, he's actually closer to you than me.. lol

22. He is way behind on work though and is a friend of mine. So he helps me only on weekends.
    Basically he is on the books of the record holder and has top secret stuff going on in his shop!
    I will introduce you to him after you and I meet.

23. Really? I need to be introduced to this mystery man. After I get rid of these dam projects I need to build a motor

24. hot-irons

hot-irons

That Newens overhead motor is in and its a rocker. Can I post video on here? If anyone wants to see it, I'll have it in Wildwood this weekend.

Attached Files:

CrazyUncleHarry and out plowing like this.
  25. Yes post it

26. I want to see it too!

27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yep, go ahead and post the video

28. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Add me to the list, I will take one also Joe. Thanks

29. edfueler

edfueler

Thanks for the interest.

Here are some other photos of the bangers we drove to Chopped.

They were built by my friend Joelo Rock'n'rollo and myself, outside in the driveway and in a small single car garage, winters and summers, days and nights. I would call them "poverty-rods", definitely not rats but they are made with a lot of re-purposed found objects.... and some purchases from an online auction site. Snyders has been helpful, as has Henry's in Australia. They are changed continuously as they are driven.
    The US left hand drive RPU is mine. It was bought as the stock running gear from under a coupe that was getting the SBC/Jag rear end resto-rod treatment. Some fabbed bodywork from someone's discarded project was acquired along with an original Right Hand Drive 1928 early Australian delivered cowl. (all bought because it was cheap). The grille and lights are stock 31 which came with the running gear. They'll be changed to something a little sleeker when the priority is there.

Unfortunately the diff appears to be a 4:11 (great for dragging and second gear starts on the dirt but hopelessly slow on the open road). The interior and bonnet panels were made from some interior aluminium panels from a 1947 Albion Double decker bus. The seat now comprises some industrial foam skinned in the leather from my folks' old lounge suite. Before it was a couple of yoga mats covered with potato sacks. The tailgate is a re-purposed revlon make-up display shelf.

The engine is babbitt and splash. It has a gentle touring grind cam, Thomas re-pop 6.7:1 the 97 only seemed to start working with 41 jets (seems really small to me) and an electric pump. Previously an 81 with 39s with gravity feed with a really fat hose seemed to work. I have a FS zipper as of two dizzy changes at Chopped. It seems to advance a little much for the compression I may have to have a look at the stops on it. The 35 wires were gathered from all over the place including a wreck out in the desert. They were painstakingly torched and beaten straight by us. The 7.50 tyres look too big while it sits at stock height but I needed all the help I could get before the taller diff gears go in. Until the re-babbitt and engine machining, the tyres were the single most expensive thing on the car.

The Turtle deck roadster is an early 28. It was a broken down shooting buggy that stopped in 1971. We got it to fire but you could move the pistons around with your finger..It had coca cola box cardboard for gaskets. The chassis has the early solid engine mounts and dog bone equaliser brakes (Teds floater kit in the front) It now sports reversed rear spring eyes (we did this in a press) a few leaves out, front and back and a channel job over the frame. The radiator is a 31 that hangs over the front crossmember in that old and awkward get-it done fashion but is nicely concealed behind the original 28 grille. We hand beat the cowl and put a chevy truck cowl vent in. We rolled the doors up ourselves as an experiment in bead roller use. The tub and hood sides are '28 dodge narrowed and lengthened accordingly. A sort of scaled up 22 T model turtle deck was fabbed by Joel. It has a babbitt and splash re-sleeved motor we put in on the thursday before leaving. It has a Snyders 5.5 head and runs a Holden six cyl stromberg single barrel carb on a modified B model manifold on the road and a pair of them with straight pipes that get changed out on site for track duties.

I guess the spirit of these cars is to be as traditional as we can with the pragmatism of using readily accessible and found items (we run old alternators that were kicking around the yard instead of generators for instance..Shamefully, the subframe rails are all just RHS steel but we try to keep those dirty little secrets hidden. They are intended to put smiles on the faces of children and old people alike (klaxon horns are a must...Joel's came out of a dumpster) but also so that we could enjoy tasting the idea of racing using early and esoteric equipment.

During the Journey to and from the drag strip we had failed fuel pumps, fouled plugs, carbs to re-jet (Thanks Rod Hadfield), a broken water pump, a pulley needed to be grabbed from a rusted motor in a friend's yard in Glenrowen (Thanks Outback Glenn), a replaced distributor (Thanks Keith) but our breakdowns seemed to entertain the onlookers and we were never halted in our progress.

The Chopped event, itself was, as always an awesome mix of all things hotrod and custom from a pre '65 period (Flavour country, basically) with great camping, great conversation, campfires, fantastic bands, brilliant bars and a properly relaxed and adult atmosphere where people take responsibility for their own safety. Well done, as always Ryan and Kyle.

The trip to Chopped was a shakedown run for freshly swapped-in engines but also a way to just touch on the emotions that must've been felt by the speed pioneers and weekend warriors of the late 1930s to late 40s; those who drove their hot-irons out to the dry lakes and stripped them down to race for the weekend to then, hopefully, drive back to "civilisation," returning, triumphant and full of stories...and to repair hurt engines, make improvements, and generally "go-round one more time".

I imagine that all the enthusiasts that post in the Banger meets share the identical emotions, the pure joy of motion and mechanical harmony: the satisfaction of enjoying the fruits of one's own mechanical toil.
    It meant that we could hold our head up amongst the people trailering SBC powered rods and to drive past and wave at the folks sneakily unloading their rods 10 km up the road (and, btw, I have absolutely no problem with that either.. )

We camp roadside under the stars because we don't have the money for hotels but also because the southern sky is such a damn beautiful canopy to sleep beneath. Back roads are travelled to stay out of the way of the semi-trailers but there lie the wonderful towns like Chiltern, Howlong, Junee, and Bowning with people, mostly grey, completely delighted by our unlikely conveyances.

Sunscreen, grease, dirt and bugs plaster your skin but river swims suffice instead of showers. You arrive with road grimed clothes, hat-hair and a raccoon style sunglass tan but it makes for just as good a look as the freshly pomped hair and correctly cuffed jeans, anyway....and those cold beers..taste sooo much better!

IMAG1687_1.jpg FB_IMG_1436449440979.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    63.5sprint, Jet96, Outback and 2 others like this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

damn nice motor ! congrats [​IMG]

barrnone50 and out plowing like this.