Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What to do with left over Automotive paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paint Guru, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

With all the rain we got last weekend, and not wanting to be cooped up in the house , I decided to see what paint looks like on regular ol press board floors. I screwed up about a gallon of blue metallic a month back, and couldn't sell, so I decided to use this color. First I took some old bodyfiller and filled the cracks where the press board butted up.
    20151003_161253.jpg
    Then I made the blue into a poly urethane, and rolled it on. Turned out pretty good.
    20151005_085626.jpg
    Hard to see from the picture, but the blue is a metallic. No need to dispose of any paint!! and it probably keeps termites out as well!!
    20151005_085610.jpg

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

im painting my shop floor very slowly. anything thats left in my gun at the end of a job i dump out in a corner, nothing nice like yours, just blobs of color

gas & guns and Paint Guru like this.
  3. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I have one of those corners as well, notice my camera angles didn't show it! But mine is pouring 5 gallon pails into single gallons. I definitely wasn't cut out to be a bartender.

4. The place I work gave me all their left over paint and I gave it to my son [except for 4 gallons of concrete paint] who rolled it on the floor of his new house addition. It sealed the dust into pressed particle board on the floors. It will get carpet.

Paint Guru likes this.

5. cfmvw

cfmvw

I've heard that when Volkswagen was rebuilding itself from the rubble of WWII, raw materials were scarce, including paint. They would save all the leftover paint, and when they had enough to paint a batch of cars, they would mix it all together, and whatever color it turned out to be was what they sprayed.

Paint Guru likes this.
  6. I worked at a Ford dealership way back when. We saved all the leftover paint and mixed it up to paint used cars. Got some really interesting colors.

cfmvw and Paint Guru like this.
  7. Everytime I mix up old paint, it comes out shades of brown.

BobMcD likes this.
  8. Back many years ago, my wife and I painted a room a shade of lavender. When it dried, it looked too purple so I mixed some white in it to lighten it up. The next coat came out light brown. Figure that one out.

9. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

That's true, that is how we do our real cheap red oxide primers by mixing all our old crap together. Now if you stay with color family's it won't turn brown but if you cross the color wheel, it's going brown.

10. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Paint Guru likes this.
  11. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Too neat! Maybe we could start Mudite where we take layers of the body man's mud board off and buff to a shine.

12. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

My dad did body work(he says metal man) for about 30-40 years. He use to make statues/sculptures with the leftover bondo.
    He would mount a wire frame on a board and add whatever body filler was left over time. He probably did about 10 or so over the years. They were actually really nice, he never smoothed them and painted them afterward. Gotta find some pics.

13. belair

belair

You gonna color sand and buff it?

14. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

LOL hell yea!! No joke about busted my ass yesterday on it. I thought my roller would give some texture but it didn't. I will probably incorporate some sand with the other half of the room to help with slip resistance.

15. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

That's neat, I wish I had the artistic ability to do that. All I can do is flames.
    Rumor is a local body man at one of my Industrial shops after he got done spreading mud, all his left over he would wipe on a metal milk crate to clean his spreader. All that crap finally broke off the crate but on the bottom side it looked like something from Mars, he put on a auction site and it brought $200 lol for garbage! !

czuch likes this.
  16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I was visiting some in-laws that were fairly well off and they showed me their kitchen cabinets which were sprayed with a metallic auto paint. They really looked very good, it was a modern house and fit right in. Nothing says you can’t paint cabinets in the garage like that. Waste not, Want not…...

17. GTS225

GTS225

There's a local guy with a 3/4 ton, 50's GMC tow truck that he brings to shows. He's also well known in the Black Hawk County Street Machines club.
    Over the years, any paint he's got left from doing a car, has gotten dumped/dribbled over that tow truck. I need to snap a pic and get it posted in this thread.

Roger