Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6 volt solenoids in a 12 volt car?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hotrod54chevy, Oct 5, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Sorry if this has been covered to death, but I was hoping to get a definitive answer. The popular thing to do when shaving door handles is to open them electronically with solenoids. I've been told on a 12 volt car to use 6 volt solenoids to get an extra strong pull out of them. But doesn't that decrease the life of the solenoid? Sorry for possibly flogging a dead horse, I just didn't want to waste time installing something behind my door panels that could possibly fail anyway if I'm just going to increase the odds! Thanks in advance, everyone!

2. Since the solenoid is only energized momentarily, I wouldn't worry about it. I ran 12 volts to my 6 volt '50 Olds starter and solenoid back in the old days and it was no problem.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I don't think so, unless you just kept the power applied to the solenoid for long periods of time. I have a 8N Ford tractor that has been on 12 volts for over 15 years and it has the same 6 volt solenoid and starter with no problems.

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not use good 12v solenoids to begin with? Why would you use weak 6v ones and over drive them?

There are only a few million cars in junk yards with solenoid operated door locks and door latches (try the tail gates of mini vans).

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Double the voltage 1/2 the amp draw . 6 volt designed to carry double the Amps of the 12 volt

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

6V solenoids in 12V systems.....No problems except for age and wear.
    12V solenoids in 6V systems.......now you have a problem with overheating and function
    The thing is...6V stuff is overbuilt it has to be to carry the lower voltage with less resistance.
    12V stuff is lighter built.....lighter wire and components. The switch to 12V was done as a cost saver as much as anything else. 12 V systems require less conductor.

302GMC likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 2 '49-'53 flathead O.D. 3 speeds and would like to use one of them in my '40 Ford behind my 327. I need good mileage on my long trips across the states and was wondering if the 6 volt solenoid would hold up to my 12 volt system ? I am light on the throttle; I just cruise. Thanks for any reply.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Measure the resistance of the coil and put a similar resistor in series with it. Something like a ballast resistor should work.