Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Jimmie Vaughn's 54 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by voodookustoms, Oct 5, 2015.

1. I found this article interesting.
    http://kustomkatspeedandstyle.blogspot.com/2011/09/jimmie-vaughns-54-ford.html?m=1
    Is seems that Gary Howard didn't completely build Jimmie's car like all the articles about it suggest. I don't know either builders, but it seems like some credit Should have been given to the Bruns guys, but for all these years I never heard a mention of them. It looks like the only thing Gary did was round the hood corners and fine tune the body work and paint.

Also this picture from their Instagram account confirms the above article is true.

Attached Files:

2. Yeah when you google image search Jimmy Vaughn 54 ford those pics are in the mix. Gary Howard took that car to the next level

3. That is a beautiful car but I prefer the current paint job. HRP

4. what.....no mention of his old Chevy...?......the early years.....about 25 years or so back.....

5. daddio211

daddio211

voodookustoms likes this.
  6. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I remember Gary hauling this car to shows after it was done. It was at the Roundup the year I drove to Austin with the folks from Pete & Jake's with the California Kid and Jake's 34. He took the 54 to Salina the year he was inducted into the KKOA Hall of Fame. In fact there was a group of Kontinentals from Austin at Salina to support him. Jimmie is a member of that club. The person to ask is Jimmie.

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have built or been involved with the building of hundreds of cars and trucks over the last 30 years and can only think of a dozen people who ever gave me credit. But who cares . The vision Jimmy had and the car Gary created was and is fantastic. It was a 40 plus year old car when they started so who knows who had their hands in the creation on this historic custom!!! Larry

voodookustoms likes this.
  8. ya i guess thats just the way it goes. Either way, its a beautiful car, and one of my favorites of all time.

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Bruns also built the Black Dahlia, which also roams Austin streets.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Gary Howard is one of the best. He's a mild-mannered, soft-spoken craftsman. I've known him for many years, and we had a great Interview session at the 2008 KKOA Lead Sled.

The '54 Vickie was the 4th car that Gary built for Jimmie, he talked about it in our session. The Link below connects to this part of the Interview where he explains a briefly about how he builds his customs, and, what he aimed for with the '54. Hope you all enjoy hearing Gary's info.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage50.html
    Best,
    Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net