Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1958 Chevy Brookwood disc brake upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammeredt, Sep 3, 2015.

1. hammeredt

hammeredt

image.jpg
    Just picked up this rig as a daily driver/ family cruiser. Being a daily I want it to be safe and easy to drive for anyone. I'm thinking a front brake upgrade is needed. I've searched all over for the right stuff and think I know the parts and vendors I need to contact, but wanted feedback from other HAMBers that might have done the same. I'm also thinking about dropping the front with 2" drop spindles since I'll have the front end apart already ( it needs control arm bushings). I don't want to get too deep right off the bat so I plan to keep the stock 14" wheels and no power booster yet. Anyone out the done something similar to this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Fedman and gonzo like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I used to have one of those...sold it to my brother 20+ years ago... a few years ago, he put discs on the front. I'd have to ask what kit he used, but he kept the stock height (he uses it as a wagon), and got power booster. He did have trouble mounting the booster, something didn't fit quite right. He's up in Black Rock City this week, though.

3. hammeredt

hammeredt

Hey Squirrel,

Thanks for the reply. I know that the booster will require me to swap out the original generator power steering pump combo unit which is why I was thinking no power right off. Just discs with a dual master for now then put in the booster and new ps pump after I drive it for awhile.

4. squirrel

squirrel

My brother's wagon has manual steering. And he put an alternator on it a couple years ago when the gen quit working on the way to Burning Man.

One thing I notice is that the booster doesn't seem to have as much reserve as I'd like...it's kind of small.

fwiw, I'm running manual disk/drum brakes on 3 old chevys of mine, and don't have a problem stopping them. I guess some folks need power, I don't. But also, his wife drives his wagon some times, and she has a prosthetic foot, so that may have something to do with why he got the booster.

5. hammeredt

hammeredt

That seems a good reason to have power.

The steering shaft location does limit the diameter of the booster. I was thinking a 7" dual diaphram.

I appreciate your input on no power assist. It would definitely simplify my situation right now.

Thanks again for your insights.

6. gonzo

gonzo

Great car Jeff.

7. Have you eyeballed a larger diameter factory-type booster? Some of those extend out a bit to clear the steering shaft. What did the stock '58 booster look like? Gotta be a google image somewhere of one, maybe in a shop manual as well.

I'm going manual on my Ford, just to make it simpler and I'm going to have poor vacuum with the cam I'll be using.

8. hammeredt

hammeredt

Thanks John. Can't wait to get here back. Brakes are getting upgraded. I went with the Auto City Classics non power kit for the original wheels. Will provide feedback on the setup once it's back on the road. I will eventually install a power booster. I didn't want to dig in that deep right now since it means replacing the generator/power steering pump which might require a water pump swap too. Ac will come before next summer. In between will be more miles of smiles.

Thanks for all the input guys. It was really helpful in making my final decision.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I put the kit on my moms 58 Impala from Hubbards impalas recently. The kit hubbards sells is from The right stuff detailing It fits nice, and worked very well. They have 2 kits, one for the 14" wheels and one for the 15". As far as the power steering/generator unit, I am replacing it with a 1960 impala power steering pump, since the slave cylinder and drag link unit are the same. I had to come up with a pump' which I bought at Napa and the brackets for the pump, from Old car parts in Portland or. I also welded a new tab on the generator bracket and bent the upper generator adjuster to put in an alternator. I hope that is helpful.

10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

The a/c kit we are putting in mom's car is from classic auto air. Great service, nice looking set up.

11. jonga

jonga

Just to piggy back this post, has anyone looked into any Wilwood kit running stock spindles? I'm trying to get a performance orientated set for my Yeoman and i cant seem to find anything, any help is appreciated!

12. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I would like to suggest hydro boost. I just did my wife's 59 impala, and from now on no vacuum booster. I've tried the small dual mustang type ,and that's my next hydro boost if the timing was right I'd give it to you

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I was putting together a 58 Brookwood myself a few years ago. I bought my spindles and disc brake conversion from Auto City Classic Inc. very easy install and performed great. SWEET ride you have there by the way! Joe

14. hammeredt

hammeredt

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for all the input. I bought the auto city kit for the original wheels and have a caliper that won't stop leaking at the hose. Calling ACC tomorrow to confirm what the caliper is and what they can do as far as a warranty or replacement part. I really want her back on the road. I had her for a day before i found a bad upper control arm bushing and she's been laid up since.

15. Is that little copper-clad washer between the hose and caliper in place? I've seen bad ones as well, too thin, mis-shapen. You could try another one, dime a dozen at any parts store.

16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

X2 That is so true I have had to replace that washer with a used one to get some calipers from leaking. Seems some are just manufactured out of shape. Joe

17. Jrodzgarage

Jrodzgarage
    from Tx

olscrounger and oldsjoe like this.
  18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Oh no the trad Gods aren't going to be happy! Joe

19. Jrodzgarage

Jrodzgarage
    from Tx

I know....
    But the trad gods aren't driving this across country.!

oldsjoe likes this.
  20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Same ole story what good is technology if ya aren't going to use it! Joe

21. hammeredt

hammeredt

Whoa, blast from the past. Looks great. Certainly went to a great home. Glad to see the continued progress. Here is what I am working on now. A much bigger project and many will think I'm crazy for parting with the complete, running/driving wagon in favor of the rust pile cabriolet, but... I just couldn't get the '32 out of my brain. It also fits in the garage better. Maybe one day we will get the two together at the Roundup.
    20161127_163051.jpg

22. Jrodzgarage

Jrodzgarage
    from Tx

Awesome.
    I can dig it.!