Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick 8 Cyl. head ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by AULIZ, Sep 3, 2015.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Is this Buick flathead straight-8 cylinderhead? If not, what car head is it?
    What Year?

aulis
    finland

Attached Files:

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Buick never made a Flat-Head 8. Overhead Valves were one of their selling points from the beginning.

Could be Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Packard, or any number of other smaller brands. Any other casting marks or numbers on the thing?

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bolt pattern looks to be Chrysler, by the straight 3X9 bolt pattern. But the spark plugs are not a Chrysler layout. If the manufacturer of this head moved the plugs to be over the exhaust valves instead of the intakes, then I would definitely say it's an aftermarket Chrysler.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Odd thing about that head is...........no water outlet on the head. Most flathead engines had the thermostat and a water hose connection at the front of the head.

Ray

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I saw that Bohnalite script on the cyl head. I have a 263 Buick straight 8 that was equipped with Bohnalite pistons when originally manufactured.

Ray

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You, very good information.

That´s why I ask what car head fits; Older man who cast me Ford Flathead Alum. oilpans has made mould of this head +10y ago. when all was ready to cast heads, man who need that head pass away (10y ago). He still have moulds. He is ready to cast new head/heads, but I need to know where I market those.

He is very professional, made different material castings over 50years. He sold his big casting Company and now more time to do this kind of small projects. He has done castings to Lancia, wrc rally team, F1 team, Saab automotive, speedway motorcycles, snowmobile companies, paperindustry etc.

aulis

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Doesn't he know what kind of motor it was for?

Suggest you ask your question at the AACA forum. Include measurements. Someone will identify it within an hour.

AACA Forums

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have a vague memory of Bohnalite making high compression heads for Studebaker. A quick web search turned up aftermarket heads for Ford and Chrysler. So maybe they made replacement high compression heads for different cars.

I know they made pistons for all kinds of cars and motorcycles. Years ago I took apart a 1930s Harley Davidson flathead that had a Bohnalite invar strut piston. Obviously an aftermarket replacement part.

11. Don't think it's Studebaker unless they changed plug location. Here's a 1930 Packard.

pak.jpg

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Whatever it is for, there is a good chance someone will want one. Not a big market for flathead parts these days but you might sell a few every year.

13. SR100

SR100

It looks like you have a Chrysler Airflow head. Only the Airflow years had a side water outlet. All of your pics were taken from the firewall end. A pic of the other end, particularly the opposite side from the spark plugs, would confirm it.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a 1935 from the Imperial club.

Hnstray likes this.