Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dual pass heat sink transmission fluid cooler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Has anyone installed and used a dual pass heat sink trans fluid cooler? I am thinking of switching to one for my C-4 transmission. I like the neatness of it and how it can be hidden better than a traditional trans cooler.

2. image.jpg

Like this ?
    They work very well
    but they don't work off of a "Heat sink" principal. They transfer heat radiantly like an air cooled engine And They need to have some air flow Across the fins to do it.

Inthermodynamics a heat sink is a heat reservoir that can absorb an arbitrary amount of heat without significantly changing temperature.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    05snopro440 and loudbang like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Yup. Like that one.

4. xracer40

xracer40

I've used the Moroso version of that cooler since the middle 80's in my willys. Back then I was foot braking on the starting line and burning the fluid every weekend. Installed one of the Moroso coolers(same design) and never had any more problems. It worked just as well after switching to a trans-brake. I mounted mine under the floor on pass. side, you would never know it's there.

loudbang likes this.

5. swifty

swifty

Yes I run an 18" one of those on the 727 in my coupe. It's mounted on the inside of the chassis rail under the floor on our passengers side. Was a bit doubtful about it so installed a trans temp gauge and have only seen it go over 160 once when I was thumping the trans a bit. Found out at the same time that the trans was low on fluid.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have installed quite a few on 40's. I install two, one on each side near the frame rail on 1" spacers for air flow in series--never had a problem-may be overkill

7. desotot

desotot

I just bought one like pictured above in the 24" length. Going to use it on my merc with a Super turbine 400. Hope it works good. One of my friends runs a 12' one on his 36 coupe with a 700r4 and says he is happy. He pointed out that it not only cools by design but also increases the amount of trans fluid which of course is also a perk.

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm going to install a 15" about two feet away from my C-4 on the passenger side rail.

9. Raunchy

Raunchy

Derale,Russell and others call them heat sink coolers in their catalogs.

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I'm running one.. 15" on frame rail. .. I wouldn't want to sit in 5pm traffic in 100 degrees in Houston but, Its been fine for me with no issues or burnt fluid.

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Installed and hooked up my 15" heat sink trans fluid cooler. Looks nice and clean. I'll tighten up the hanging lines once I get the trans mount done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  12. stimpy

stimpy

where your at you do not have problems with cold around here they would tell you to put a thermostat on it as too cold of fluid is as bad as too hot .. , I would have hung it on the outside as the heat from passing under the body is kind of high from the exhaust and motor

I hope the rubber hose is rated for power steering or Hydaulic fluid . otherwise its going to turn to mush in several weeks .

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I thought about hanging it on the outside of the rail but it just didn't look good. I know that there are some people not to use hydraulic fluid rubber lines, but not me. I won't be running with the exhaust coming out of the end. I'll be running with bull horn headers.

stimpy likes this.
  14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I ran one in my 23 and both of my Sons are running one in their cars. They seem to work fine and I put a lot of miles on the 23 on the interstate with no issues. I had mine mounted across the front of the frame, under the crank pulley, but theirs are mounted along a rail.

[​IMG]

Don

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    05snopro440 and loudbang like this.
  15. I'd suggest running hard lines from the trans, then use short rubber lines from those to the cooler, just leave about 5-6 inches of rubber lines so there's enuf flex for engine movement;...been running lines like this for years in all my cars, you've got too much rubber lines there.

16. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

That cooler works fine as long as your moving ( have air flow over it) or great as an aux. cooler if you are already using a cooler in the radiator tank. if you spend a considerable amount of time in stop and go traffic it would be better to have a cooler in that is mounted to the radiator where the fan is pulling air through it.

17. uncle buck

uncle buck

I had a friend with one on a late model electronic trans and it would allow fluid temps to get too high at Pleasanton after he installed it. The trans went to fail safe mode and didn't operate properly. Changed it to an old style and never had a problem again

18. donno

donno

Running one on a Pontiac, mounted in front of the radiator so fan sucks air thru it. MANY miles with no issues.

19. stimpy

stimpy

hey Don better get another jackstand under that car as the ASPCA is n't going to take to kindly using your cat as one ... LOL

Flathead Dave likes this.
  20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

That's a cat jack, Stimpy.

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is my CAT alytic convertor ! :D:D

Don

dan31 likes this.
  22. How many miles an hour can that cat run with the cooler balanced on his head?

23. sdroadster

sdroadster

I have heat exchanger on a 48 Ford four door, and a Derale finned cooler with a fan under the car. I installed a trans fluid temp gauge and it runs about 210 degrees around town, and under 200 on the highway if the road is flat. I'm concerned the fluid is still a little too hot. Stock Chevy 327, and Turbo 350 drive train.

24. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

while 180F might be Ideal , 200 - 210 is right about the operating temperature of modern engines and is fine with most current fluids such as dextron III . at 250 to 275 the fluid degrades pretty quickly. at 300F seals and metal parts begin to fail.