Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Some extra fun this last weekend,got to run around "Miami Homestead" super speedway 11885328_10204735211167872_550245759537478017_n.jpg

Sparked, kiwijeff, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  2. jalopy45

jalopy45

I'm looking for the rear of a Dodge roadster from the doors back to come close to Steve Stanfords rendering, you've seen my body and not sure if it will work but I'll try, so if Falcon George or Tim needs them feel free, [​IMG]

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Gary...I love that rendering. I`ll see what I can dig up re Dodge stuff, and yes, I`ll keep your budget in mind when I do so.....

Hey Volvo...(that can`t be your name, can it?) I am Paul. I do Metalwork and Fabrication on these cars for a living. That`s the Tinbender part. And yes, I`m from New Zealand, but I`ve been here a long time. Hence the Kiwi part.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

How about Indy at the finish line, photo taken in 1978
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

My name is Rasmus Brynk Andersen. I cut my teeth on Volvo's.

But I get that a lot.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Speaking of Indy have I ever posted this photo. First generation of my roadster with the Mustang engine still in it.
    Yes I drove a roadster at Indy. The Indy 2.50 mile race. I didn't come in first but I did finish and nobody passed me.

Gary

IMG_0375.jpg

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Neat experience both Dana and Gary have had, I'm a little bit jealous. :(:cool:

dana barlow and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  8. Im jealous much !! :D:D
    Jeremy

9. jalopy45

jalopy45

Here's the body I'm looking for, it seems fairly close.I believe it's 1917-20,[​IMG] , Gary

10. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Got it, Gary. I`ll make some calls this week......

Tim and I are doing some bartering. I am fixing his Grille Shell, and donating my only `36 Ford driveshaft to his `32 project pile. In turn, he is donating his pile of T Touring body parts, a pair of early `Vette rocker covers, and three beautiful 2 1/8 Stewart Warner Twin Blue Gauges. I`ll be helping him with fixturing his `32 frame and crossmembers in the future.......

Now to see about that other early 283.......Progress is painfully slow.....

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  11. jalopy45

jalopy45

I have 3 small journal 283 blocks, was going to make them into wine racks.. :) do you want one? just the blocks;

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

IMG_0383.jpg Starting to take apart the banjo to replace the axle seals. Hope my homemade spring spreader works. Really don't want to dismantle the spring again. Really a wonder the seals ever worked. I didn't know about them when I built the car in the '80s and I even had the bells hot tanked.
    Any pointers about installing the new ones appreciated.
    Gary
    Oh and yes that is a big monkey wrench holding the spring spreader nut. Amazing how much I use it. Really useful in tuneups.

Spring spreader worked! Well with the help of a couple of jacks. Bottom line the shackles just pushed out.
    Looking for someone to put it back together.
    IMG_0378.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    dana barlow likes this.
  13. butch27

butch27

Been here -done that.

14. daddio211

daddio211

If it helps at all there's a pretty easy way to adapt the early 283's to a later transmission, Danchuk part number 10100. http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=10100

I ordered one for a few weeks ago to put a 200R4 behind my 1957 283. It's really nothing more than a 1/4" plate with holes for the original style 2 bolt starter, but the fit was precision.

If you shop around you can find it cheaper than Danchuk offers it (cheaper shipping too) and save about $35 but nobody had it in stock and several of them told me it's Danchuk's own part and Danchuk won't drop ship. I decided I couldn't wait and ponied up the additional $35. Big whoop.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  15. Hi guys! Haven't had much to post lately (Lurking though!)....between my decision to got back to school for an Engineering degree, and West Nile Virus being discovered across the street from the shop, T bucket work has been at a standstill (Can't afford to get West Nile Virus a month before I start my new job)! Something's gonna have to give soon though, the NTBA Western Regional Nationals are only a few weeks away! May have to invest in some DEET stock!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  16. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Good on you to go back to school. One of the decisions I made that I'm truly proud of. Hang in there and you'll be done before you know it.

17. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Tonneau cover progress! It took me long enough!

Stained the top in hopes of protecting it. Hopefully it never gets soaking wet anyway, but I figured why not?
    1441171778175.jpg

Painted the bottom.
    1441171885383.jpg
    1441171984604.jpg

Set up a tape border so I would have a guide for how much to stretch the upholstery over to staple.
    1441172135917.jpg

Done. Not perfect, but pretty good for home brewed.
    1441172209728.jpg

18. t-rod

t-rod

Home brewed is best! Gives one a sense of accomplishment.

19. butch27

butch27

Wow- nice. What is the piece of angle iron with the hole for?

20. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Wow- nice. What is the piece of angle iron with the hole for?

Wayyyyy back, months and months ago, I explained that sorta kinda. I made that angle bracket to hold a striker pin, which will locate in this extra "bear jaw" door latch that will hold the tonneau closed. I used some extra Lokar throttle cable bits to run a cable under my seat. That way I have semi-secure storage with no visible hinges or latches.

Attached Files:

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Looks good Tim, keep up the good work.

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Very nice Tim. I'm looking forward to the rest of the build. Keep posting.

Gary

23. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Gary, did you get the rear axle back together?

24. brad2v

brad2v

Looks good Tim.
    And Gary, I'm with Tim, inquiring minds want to know :D

25. Thanks, Tim! So if I'm looking at this right, the latch is up against the back of the body, and it ooens to the rear? I like the idea, mine is held on with hood pins. I don't really have any room for storage under there either, trying to figure out it it's worth the hassle / expense to try to fit a slightly larger tank under there, or just go with my "gas trailer" idea! the hot rod shop next door has a slightly15 gal. tank that "might" fit.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey guys not yet done. My friend the expert a HAMB guy and long time V8 Club member has all the parts that I had the venders of his choice send him. The "bells" and bearing race sleeves he has taken to the machine shop and will be done in a week or so. It's all in the process. I really feel good about this guy. Not only a good friend but a great wrench. You should see the '40 Ford Coupe he is doing for his brother. Bitchin! He also owns both a late '40s early '50s 32 Ford flathead three window and Cad. powered roadster hot rod.
    Shit I woke up with a flu bug this morning. My wife base been down with it for a week. Probably good it won't be done for a week or so. I did have to call off a magazine photo shoot scheduled for the middle of the month but the photographer will probably set up something again or not. Whatever I want it done right this time and I'm not going to rush anything.
    Gary

brad2v, Dick Stevens and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Blownfuel,
    The hinge is up against the back of the body (sandwiched between the foam/vinyl and the wood), and the latch is at the back of the bed. The striker on the tonneau comes down as you close it until the jaw clamps around the pin to hold it in place. I will run a cable through the body on the driver's side to under my seat to open the tonneau. Sorry for the verbal explanations. I thought I had pictures of all this, but I don't.

28. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

There, you can kinda see what's going on in this photo. The latch and pin are on the bottom of the board in the taped area (closest to where i was standing to take the pic). 1441230242053.jpg

AndersF likes this.
  29. I see (I think). Is the part (the points) that wrap around sides of the body a seperate piece? Ie. fixed to the bed?

30. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Exactly. The pointed part that butts up against the body is bolted to the body, and is a separate piece from the tonneau, which is held together with the hinge.