Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear mount R&P

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Sep 1, 2015.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

What cars use a rack that mounts behind the cross member? Going on a 47 Plymouth and advice is welcome. Power box from Chrysler donor car is HUGE. Thank you.

2. Camry, mounted low on the firewall.

3. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Chevy Cavalier and cousins.

4. Ive found that that the Dodge omni rack is pretty universal and its small. The smallest with the most throw too. #6419 I think and you'll be out the door paying the core charge for well under $200.00 from a parts chain. They also cary the hoses :) The far end brackets are also available aftermarket from jegs and summit- you'll need one if you don't have an omni.

It's a rear steer rack that needs a flat seat to mount on. It about 6" of travel too. Its a 3/4 "-36 spline shaft, there's a great thread on here about donor u-joints.

There's a bunch of inner tie rods with the same thread end so you can really get exactly the length of what you need to keep the geometry correct. The moog book at the parts store helps greatly here.

54reno likes this.

5. Colt,haven't seen one in years. HRP

6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Nissan Altima

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend down here used a Hyundai PS R&P in his 47 Olds convertible. Similar I believe to a Cavalier. He made up a new heavy plate that bolted to centre steer that replicated OEM geometry. Very easy to fabricate chassis mounting brackets & quite beefy for a small car.

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Nissan Bluebird U12

9. brandon

brandon

Measure and plot your a arm locations and then start measuring rack inner tie rod widths....just sticking a rack in will usually end up with bad results...

10. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

I just put a 90's Buick century power rack in my 57 Chevy and it cleared the 454 oil pan. I had to buy a metric tap to run threads on the arms.