Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Still looking good Antti! Persistance is the key!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric!
    Yeah,sometimes plans backfire,but that isnt a end of the world.
    I had this sideproject,so its been really time(and argon)consuming job.But now its done,i welded headers for my friends drag racing Dodge Dart:

[​IMG]

I've done exhaust pipes for my bike before,but that was the first time when i did headers.
    Well,i guess i could make a pair for shoebox project too,but i think cast exhaust manifolds looks better on kustoms.

Teevee68 and fortypickup like this.
  3. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looks good, nice welding!

4. Holy shit those are some serious headers.

Bummer you need to redo the seat tracks. That's the sort of progress I make. I think I've built everything on my car twice. You saw my second (third maybe?) trunk latch. Yesterday I made new inner rear fender supports, for the second time. Tonight I pulled my trunk hinges apart, for the second time. :rolleyes: Shit don't just happen. :D

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

Thanks,Andrew!
    Friend of mine asked pricing for the custom made headers and they asked around 1000 bucks each.
    I was a bit cheaper,because i didnt ask anything:D
    I dont understand a shit about electrics and that guy does wiring etc,so we have traded works for years.So,i guess who is going to do the wiring work for this project..

The tracks will stay,there is no problem with them.But the tracks mounting brackets,between the floor and tracks went to the trashbin.Things like that pisses off ofcourse,but luckily its just metal.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, nice work on the headers! Seat should be a piece of cake after those.

7. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Havnt checked in here in a long time. Your project is coming along great. Just about to order left and right EMS lower rear quarters. Were you happy with the quality? Just like you I have to order them then wait patiently for many weeks as they are sent to New Zealand!

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    Well,the seat is a kind of tricky from the backside to do,but i guess i'll figure it out.Looks like i am a bit distracted for awhile of this build,but i hope i'll get something done soon.

Thanks Andy!
    Yeah,i know the waiting game for the parts.But 2-3 weeks isnt really a long time,just need to do something else while waiting the goods.
    EMS have a good quality,still no bad word about their products from me.Even the NOS quarter panel i used to fix the drivers side quarter hell needed trimming,so i think every replacement panel needs some trimming,hammering etc,so it isnt a big deal.
    I cut off the "lap welding" lip and buttwelded them.It takes some time to do it,but i think its only way to do it correctly.Good luck with the build!

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Last 15 yrs blasting with steel beads has been a part of my job.How guy like me relaxes when the week is over?
    By sandblasting some shoebox parts ofcourse:D
    Result of the late friday nights sandblasting party looked like this:

[​IMG]

I bought a cheap-o sandblasting unit.Its really far away from the pro sandblasting gear and i would never use it on the large surfaces like car frames etc.But i think its handy with the smaller stuff like above.My plan is to take all of those pieces for powdercoating at next week.
    One piece is completely offtopic of that part pile.Guess which one?

dlandberg likes this.
  10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I scored this from a kid who messes with old Volvo's

[​IMG]

An another Volvo steering box,WTF,why?
    Well,my plan was first to use the Ford steering arm with the Volvo box,but i got second thoughts about that.There wasnt a steering arm included when i bought the Volvo box,so i needed one.That youngster didnt want to separate them,so i had to buy that box too.
    The price was fair and i am sure i'll get my money back,even if i sell it without the steering arm.After cleaning all the crap off the box,it doesnt look bad after all.
    Anyway,here is the victim and the OEM steering arm:

[​IMG]

I bought a tie rod end reamer from Speedway and reamed the Volvo arm to match with the Ford tie rod ends.I saw off the the Volvo factory "extension" piece,after the reaming job was done.It could been pretty hard to clamp it to vice without the extension piece.
    Here is the finished(i guess Volvo guys would say ruined:D ) steering arm:

[​IMG]

Eric H and daddio211 like this.
  11. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Good finding Another volvo steering box! How mutch better handling are the volvo steering versus original?

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,it was a good score.Those boxes are getting hard to find in here too.
    Well,i cant say how much the Volvo box makes handling better,because i havent drive it yet with the Volvo box.But i think that the needlebearings in the steering box are a huge improvement from the OEM box.What i've heard,its better with handling and it takes less turns from side to side.
    And it makes easier to move steering column down,if there is need to do that.
    I picked up my stuff from the powdercoater:

[​IMG]

I guess that wasnt the last batch for powdercoating.
    Well,maybe i'll see ya at saturday!

Eric H, daddio211 and dlandberg like this.
  13. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

nice progress

/Stefan

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Stefan!
    There isnt anything special going on with this build,but i hope i'll get something done on my vacation.

15. It's been awhile Antti, just catching up on your build.
    Really great work as always.

16. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

Very impressive work. I'll be watching the rest of this

17. ahshoe

ahshoe

Love your thread Finnrodder , I enjoy all the updates.Keep up the good work!

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    This thread has been pretty quiet for awhile,nothing special has happened with this build.
    I started to make some reorganizing to the garage.I have reached that point where the controlled chaos has slipped to the non controlled side.So i bought a shelf for pallets,hopefully i get more room with that shelf,after i've filled it with the junk thats inside the garage.

Eric H likes this.
  19. Rathbone

Rathbone

Which reamer was it? I'll have to do this soon. thanks!

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

It was the 1-1/2" per foot,7 degree reamer.I paid 80$ of it and it worked nicely.

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I got the pallet shelf project done:

[​IMG]

I guess the cleaning is 90% done,still need to do some reorganizing and cleaning.
    Yep,that garage is still filled with junk,but atleast i can walk around the car now.
    Before i had to pull the car to the another side of the garage,to get some room for the side i was working with.I think this will make things alot easier to do.
    That shelf really helps a lot,i was thinking to get an another one for the rear corner of the garage,but just thinking about that.

Teevee68, farmer12 and dlandberg like this.
  22. Neat! I'll have a lot more room in my garage if I ever get my car back together. A car in pieces takes up a lot of room!

23. Hi Antti, well done, looks no more like chaos! what are your next steps on the Ford? it looks almost good.

Cheers, Carsten

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,Andrew!
    Yeah,it sure takes some space when the car is in pieces.All the shoebox stuff isnt even stored in the garage.
    I decided to get the extra shelf,i am sure that it will make some more room.Friend of mine have a huge pile of those shelfs and with reasonable pricing.

Thanks,Carsten!
    I guess the chaos is back on the controlled side again.
    Well,what next...I've planned to work with the front end.And i noticed a small spot of pitting&pinholes on the windshield opening,but i think its pretty easy to fix.

25. EBW

EBW

Enjoy the updates... Keep on keeping on

26. Dannyboy51

Dannyboy51

Love this build. Just read it from start to finish. I've got a ton of ideas. Love your metal work. Keep it coming. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442293467.509408.jpg

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    You have nice looking shoebox!
    Well,i bought the another pallet shelf and got even more space with that.
    It just needs a little finishing touch and after that i am able to mess with this build again..Hopefully.

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

A small update:

I got the shelfjob done,i mounted a pegboard to another end of the shelf.So there is a good chance that some of the tools arent lying on the table:

[​IMG]

I guess i am done with the decoration shit at the moment,so back to the build.
    Few pages ago i said the rust issues are over.Yep,me and my big mouth.
    I knew that there was some deep pitting on the windshield opening,i thought it was ok.
    Well,i was wrong.There was few pinholes too and its not going to be better,if i leave it alone..

[​IMG]

I made a patch to the opening,it needed a slight stretching with shrinker/stretcher because the windshield opening is curvy.
    Some testfitting:

[​IMG]

The crappy piece is cut off and the replacement piece is spotwelded with few tackwelds too:

[​IMG]

And the weldings and finishing are done:

[​IMG]

That was pretty easy job.I noticed that the passengers side windshield opening corner needs some attention,i guess thats a bit more challenging job to do..

farmer12 likes this.
  29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

A small update,i got the window opening fixed.
    It wasnt so bad job to do than i thought.Made a patch with the shrinker/stretcher:

[​IMG]

Then cut the crappy piece off:

[​IMG]

And welded the patch:

[​IMG]

I dont say that the wrestling with pitted crap is over,but i sure hope so..

farmer12, dlandberg and daddio211 like this.
  30. daddio211

daddio211