Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator mounting issues with Super Dual and 8BA Heads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Aug 31, 2015.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

...yeah i know not the best combination of parts when it comes to completing the engine but what you gonn´do thats how i have em now.

My motor is based on a 4" crank french block (marmon), i got
    Navarro 8BA Heads
    Navarro (historic) "universal model" Intake (but kinda super dual) or Edelbrock Super dual
    Bubba-modified SBC-Dizzy
    37 Ford generator 12v converted

..and here starts the problem. Where do i put the gen? No space in front of carbs due to wide spacing of the 97´s. On the right is the water spigot, tube and dizzy, on the left i have another water spigot and tube.
    I thought of rotating the left water outlet to flat exit. Next making a bracket as there is no generator-mount in front of the intake and to put the gen above the water outlet. But the water tube is gonna be ugly as hell.
    Anyone got pictures of solutions you found other than buying new 59a heads with center outlets?

thanks Jan

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. I just ran into the same problem with an offy 3x2. I wound up switching to an Edmunds 2x2 so that does not really help you. I am curious to see what people come up with.

3. walter

walter

I have a new polished Offy 2 carb hanging on the wall that I would sell worth the money. Changing intakes is really the only solution.
    Walter

4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it sounds like that navarro intake was designed to be used with early heads (center outlet), using a gen. bracket that bolts to the head. an article in the jan. '13 hot rod magazine included a navarro universal, but shows it having a generator mount. could be the repop version.

5. FlatJan

FlatJan

sure
    intake change would be an option but I'd like to keep it full Navarro if ever possible..

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

or do it like this
    loom2.jpg
    My 8BA, all Nararro products from Mike, the power gen is sitting on a bracket from Mike, a Navarro item that I mounted on roller rocker arm studs so it would A) clear the thermostat housing, 2) not have to re-torque the heads every time I wanted to get to the thermostat, and D) I like acorn nuts. motormount5.jpg
    Not right for every application but it worked for me so I thought I would pass it along. The bracket doesn't come polished so it would be fairly unobtrusive on the left head.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The above photos are so shiny with the aluminum that it's hard to see the mounting bracket as it also is so bright.
    If possible, please post a few more photos that may differentiate the parts. Your idea sure is a great and creative solution. Thanks, JIM

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, sorry about that. Let me go home and take some better shots. I'll be back

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jim, here's a couple I found on my phone.
    genmount1.jpg
    You can see the studs I used and then I machined in the studs on top for the acorns that hold the bracket down. You can see it is tight clearance for the thermostat housings but they fit.
    genmount2.jpg
    It still left clearance for the spark plug wire looms. Belt runs tight and right. Hope it helps.

Desoto291Hemi, dan c and clem like this.
  11. Billy you sure have a nice looking flatty.

12. frosty-49

frosty-49

Had the same problem with mine too. I am running an alt. and it was in the way of the front carb, so I redrilled the sling shot bracket(it is aluminum) and raised the alt till it cleared and got a longer belt. Been running it for a long time now.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. FlatJan

FlatJan

@Jim: Thanks for all those ideas
    @Billy: Hell of a flatty you got there. And that's an easy solution you found to the problem. If you think too strong the ideas become too complicated. So I think I'll try it you're way :)
    btw if I had your engine I would turn some aluminum rod to fit and polish it like the rest instead of those black parts.. Would look great!
    thanks all

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree 100% I like shiny parts...as long as they run when they're told to. Call Mike at H&H and have him send you that bracket.

16. clem

clem

that, sir, is a really neat solution!

17. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I did something similar as Bandit. This is an earlier bracket shimmed out to fit an 8ba. The common one you find puts the generator out more to the side. The one I needed and found has the gen adjust almost vertical to clear my side hood. If you have the room speedway and others sells the common one. Gen bracket.JPG

dan c likes this.
  18. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Here's a couple more. Ones an original S.Co.T. it's missing one strap . The other I'm not sure, both mount with the head bolts.

Attached Files:

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Solidaxle has something there, my powergen does protrude slightly through where the hood sides would be. I'm not running any but it would sure be an issue if I were. Nice tip, if I fender up I'm going to be looking for that bracket.

20. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I purchased the other double strap ones thinking it would solve my side hood clearance issues, they didn't. I happened to stumble on the one in the picture at a swap meet. I would keep an eye out and buy one just to have, if you're thinking of side hoods in the future. They are not common.There was one on Ebay a short while ago.

21. Drylake

Drylake

Old topic I know, but a current topic for me. It's a shame no one makes a riser style addition for the "Edelbrock Super dual", to make an Eddie Myer esc intake to alleviate the generator carb clearance issue. I know Edelbrock make one similar but not a super dual adapter that I know of, and I am aware of Edelbrocks current issues for future production. I have an "Edelbrock super dual" on the engine in my roadster at the moment and would really like to run the old chrome generator I have with stock mechanical fan without the offset bracket. I have been playing with custom radiator hoses, custom mechanical fan mount, fan belt trouble shooting and the busy look it can potentially create in the engine bay and it makes me think why am I doing it. I am at the point where I think it seems like a backwards way to do it when suitable manifolds are available. I may just have to chase down a manifold that will work for my application, but an adapter for the "Edelbrock super dual" I have would be cool as!

22. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Drylake, the front carburetor mount on your Edelbrock Super is located just too far forward to get the generator to mount in the stock position. Even the shorter 37- 39 generators will not fit in that space. Dave Burns back in the 40's did make an adapter about 4 inches long that will elevate the carbs just enough to allow the generator or Powergen to fit in the stock position on some of the closer together carburetor mounted intakes.

There is away to get the generator mounted in the stock position without a lot of difficulty. The answer is the early tall flathead intakes. I'm not a fan of the offset generator brackets. I like the nice clean look with the generator up front, mounted in the stock position. You want to get the carbs up high enough so they won't contact the generator or Powergen. On my 1929 roadster I run an Edelbrock Regular intake and on my 1929 coupe I'm using an original Eddie Meyer exhaust heated intake. On both engines the space is tight but both generators just fit in there and work just fine.

Here is a brief list of the intakes you can use to locate your generator or Powergen up front in the stock position. Tall intakes - Edelbrock Slingshot, Edelbrock Regular, Weiand tall, Tattersfield, Harrell, early Thickstun, Thickstun PM7, Eddie Edmunds (most models), Jack Henry, Beck, FGS, and Burns with the mounted Burns risers. I'm sure there are others not listed that will work as well. Yes, I know some of the intakes listed are almost impossible to find today, but some of the others do pop up from time to time and would be a worthwhile investment.