Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage NHRA New England Hot Rod Reunion, Aug 28-30, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Church Key, Mar 5, 2015.

1. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Some more pictures. I only went up for the day 9hrs round trip to be part of the celebration honoring Jack Merkel and the other honoree's. I've known Jack since 1962 and his 39 Willys was the first Willys I had ever seen. I was "Hooked".

Pat

Attached Files:

2. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I went Friday and Saturday, family stuff to do today. I would offer the following observations:
    • always great to see guys you only see once or twice a year
    • Show and Shine had more cars I think on Saturday than last year
    • lots of terrific race cars
    • Weather was terrific, breeze on Saturday took the edge off the heat
    • I liked the land speed car display
    on the other hand:
    • NHRA/Track doesn't seem to draw vendors as the "midway" was again sparse, in fact Lowry Restorations wasn't there this year with their terrific stable of hot rods
    • I don't think the spectator crowd, at least Saturday, was what the NHRA was looking for. I looked at spectator parking lot when I left on Saturday also.
    • Swap meet again had less than a dozen vendors, and two of them were selling sledge hammers, vintage fire apparatus, etc. But there were vendors, some HAMBers in fact, that had righteous hard core stuff.
    I talked to someone, name witheld, who related a meeting with NHRA about the event this winter. It was impressed on NHRA that for a lot of older hot rodders, the weekend pass for a guy and his wife which is $150, plus the cost of motels in seacoast NH in the prime tourist season, keeps a lot of guys away that would come from other states. Those of us lucky to be in NH, No MA or So ME can commute from home and get a one day Sat or Sun ticket to keep the cost down. But I noticed my old club which was there in force last year, only had a handful of attendees on Saturday. Most club members live within 20 miles of NED. So it will be interesting to see what the decision of the NHRA Musuem and NED is with regards to 2016. I know in my case I'll opt for just Saturday if they have it again. To be honest at my age, three days in the sun is a little too much anymore and you run out of things to look at given my earlier synopsis. And the vintage race annual event at Loudon International Raceway in NH was Thurs and Fri. Plus there were several big cruise nights like Eliot, ME which siphoned off the Camsnappers and my old club at 3pm to go to that.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OLCURMDGEON, I talked to you Saturday while you and the wife were sitting by your 40'..Even though I stayed over in Exeter [321$$] and had planned to go again Sunday I felt another $50 and maybe another dash plaque wasn't gonna cut it..Left early and we walked around Exeter and had about the best Steak dinner I've ever had and conversations with towns people pretty interesting and enjoyable.....People that make an effort to bring their cars there for the show and shine which defiantly adds to the show as a whole for spectators aren't given enough "$$ separation"...Are the race cars "of name" paid to be there? I assume so and it must be decent as a lot of the people were at the same motel....I left Exeter at about 8 am and stopped at Sturbridge Village on the way home for a 4 hour tour...Doubt if I will think about going to Epping next year; I'll take the Hot Rod to see sights...

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Seb, must have been someone else. My wife wasn't there Saturday, too hot for her. And I was in car at 9am coming in and 2:30 pm going out, alone. I sat under Kustom Kings pop up for a while but not near my car. Sorry, would have liked to say hello to you. I was sitting under Kustom Kings tent and smiled inwardly as Dennis OBrien (OBrien Truckers) said hello to my best buddy and louver partner Dick, calling him olcurmdgeon. Must have been the heat or perhaps I am now so old I don't look like myself anymore. Happy to say Dennis and his bride still look good, been a long time since I had seen them.
    I don't know if NED pays tow money to the big names. I know the LSR people got comped for entry fees due to their display. And I know the cackle fest folks have to fork over the dollars for the nitro and such. Not a cheap three day show for a lot of folks, for example the "double nickel" '55 Chevy AA/GS car that destroyed it's rear differential housing on a spirited run.
    Glad you liked Exeter, it is a pretty town. And that you found folks friendly. One of the reasons we drive the '40 everywhere is the conversations it generates, very enjoyable. I think you are finding what a lot of us older guys have, big organized events are fine for folks that like them, but I take a leaf from the PovertyFlats take on life. It is the little things, the interaction with everyday folks and general enjoyment of life, and yes history, that is the best. Oh and a good piece of pie too (with regards to Paul Kruse).

gas pumper likes this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sorry..If I ask is your name OLCURMDGEON and I get a yes I can only think it was you.:confused:.Does your car have gray interior and a little sticker [maybe Bardal] in the left quarter window? Guy that was posing as you was nice anyways..:cool:

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I know that Ron Norman "Paid" to display an "Honoree" cars and he towed all the way from Illinois. But it was worth it!

Pat

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I shot wildly as I only had about 4 hours at the show and paid the $25.00 but I would do it again for what I got out of it.

Pat

Attached Files:

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I just spent 6 hours at the show most of that with the JM contingent the rest with old friends. Yes The NHRA Museum has their head up their ass as far as what this show means to a lot of people so write them, everybody inundate them with letters about how you feel. Thats the only way they will know.

Pat

Attached Files:

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I don't have the honoree's in order but they are Grand Marshal Al Segrini, The team of Nick Marshall and Dave Vermilya, Jack Merkel, Charlie Seabrook (his daughter accepting) and Walt Weney (S&W engineering) Walt Market was not there.

Pat

Attached Files:

Church Key likes this.
  10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thats all folks.

Pat

Attached Files:

Church Key likes this.
  11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Seb, no stickers in the window and my interior is maroon. Glad my "alter ego" was friendly though.

12. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

We went for two days!
    Yes! a little pricey!
    $25 to get is was not so bad, But $4 for a bottle of water
    The guys next to us paid $23 for 2 pcs of pizza and 2 sodas? that's the killer!!!
    The cars and people were great!
    We have been to a few modified races this year and paid $43
    for 3-4 hours of racing?$ 50-55 for pit passes?
    So, maybe not so bad?
    We had a great time! Next time will bring more soda and water!
    Many cars you don't see anywhere else!

Church Key likes this.
  13. captmullette

captmullette

Atlanta.....$4 for a bottle of water ...all the time

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pat, nice batch of pics...Thanks..

15. Pete

Pete

That's why I don't go to these big top events, it's more than a major league ball game....prices are ridiculous....

16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The event this year was fantastic. The spectator count was way up and the pits were full. Spectator parking was also full and tons of show cars. Yes it was a little warm but I will take it any day over rain or the cold that we had last year. The unveiling of the Merkel 39 was a very emotional event for Ron Norman and for Jack Merkel. The smile on Jack's face when he started the car for the first time in 40 years was priceless. It was an honor to be part of it.

Baron, Marcia and Church Key like this.
  17. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'm happy to hear that report from you. We went the first time this year as part of the Land Speed Racing display. I thought the event was great. And we heard rumors of it being the last one. We were doing show and tell for 3 days for racers and spectators. Lots of interest by everyone in what we do. I hope we can be invited again to display, it was a pleasurable weekend!!

Marcia and ME.GASSER like this.
  18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I heard that rumor also, it was going around. Thats what I meant when I said for NHRA to get there head out of there ass. They seem to want an instant return to pump back into the museum and don't care about building a following. There is another rumor that English town WAS sold and they are just waiting for contractual agreements with NHRA to be over maybe the 2016 spring nationals. That would leave Maple Grove and Epping as the only dragstrips capable of having a national event in the north east.

Disclaimer; these are rumors I heard.

Pat

19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Let's keep the rumors just that, RUMORS. Fact: this event was the third of a three year contract. Fact: the first years event lost money because of rain. Everything else you hear is speculation because we are not working with the NHRA museum. The whole shebang was a blast and we can only hope that the NHRA made tons and tons of money so they will be back. They do not care if it is a great time and how much we look forward to it , THEY ONLY WANT TO MAKE BIG MONEY. NO RUMOR. FACT

20. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

This was my third year attending the event moving the date to August was a home run. The cost to enter is very small considering all the local history your able to see. Add to that the racing and the evening cackle fest and its non stop action.
    New England Dragway along with the NHRA are doing this to make money if they don't this all goes away. NHRA profits go towards the NHRA museum. This type of special event is well worth the entry cost I find it odd local Hot Rodders chose to not support an event where so much history is on display.
    Myself along with a group of like minded Hot Rodders/Racers chose to take the time and effort along with the expense involved to display for all to see an interesting group of local land speed race cars we did this so hopefully the future generations will have this place to come to for a long time. Some care some don't I'm glad I'm with those who care!
    To those who feel its to much to support this type of event I feel sorry for you since your missing out on some good stuff.

Baron, Marcia and ME.GASSER like this.
  21. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I have heard the Englishtown rumor for the past 5 or 6 years?
    That's why, I think ,NHRA picked up Epping?
    Rumor also ?? the reunion may go to Maple grove??
    If the Epping show didn't make $ !
    Despite the costs, I thought it was a great time!
    I saw many friends ,so they must think so, also?
    Hope to go back next year, no matter where they have it!
    It doesn't compare to Bowling green, but its a close second!
    Doesn't take 2 days to get there!
    We will plan a little different! Bring more refreshments?

ME.GASSER likes this.
  22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Jack Merkel's beautifully restored 1939 willy coupe. Ron Norman did a fantastic job on this car. Jack was a very happy man to see it again.

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Marcia

Marcia

epping.jpg epping2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    DualQuad55 likes this.