Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Banger Builders in Australia???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Twoche, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Twoche

Twoche

Hey there,

I'm about to start my 1930 model a roadster build in Melbourne Australia and was wondering if anyone knows of a good engine builder in Australia to hop up my model A engine. I looked in the bangers thread and all leads came to a dead end. Any thoughts???

Cheers
    Che.

2. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

how radical do you want. I've never done one until this one and I did it myself in the garage. you will find guys like Charles Yapp, FS ignition and Mr Stromberg to be EXTREMELY helpful. These are as basic an engine as has ever been made. If the Babbitt is good in the crank journals and you have no cracks in the block, they are pretty simple. I can help you out as much as possible if you like. image.jpg image.jpg

3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Colin Smithson,,,

4. RATTLN 30

RATTLN 30

Try Keith at Henry's Model A & T parts, Ballan Victoria , he should know someone.
    03 5368 1088 , 0402 194 723

5. I second Colin, he's in Melbourne and was a great help to me with my engine build.

6. 30ccpu

30ccpu

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441012342.409715.jpg
    I built my own engine Iam from Horsham vic. Bill stype is another good one for parts he sell new improved cams. And this book is a good read and give u some info about hotting a banger up. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441012666.172664.jpg

7. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

I am just about to send my B block for machining.
    Most engine shops can handle these old engines. If you are staying with the babbit you will need to find the shop/guy to do this, in Adelaide there are only a couple of guys still doing it.

To avoid this and for future maintenance I am going with inserted rod and main bearings, and going full oil pressure.

As stated above, Stipe, Snyder, Jim Brierley and Charlie Yapp have good sources for parts and advice. If you look at the Secrets of Speed Society site, you can purchase back issues of their magazine and there is a multitude of knowledge with in the pages. Jim Brierley's book is worth getting.
    As also stated, I am going to assemble mine myself.

Good luck, you'll be fine

8. Twoche

Twoche

Thanks Guys,

Great to know there are others out there. The more i look into it, the more i think i will do the engine build myself. So i might be in touch with a few of you when the proverbial shit hits the fan!

Cheers
    Che.

9. They are fun to build especially if just going full insert conversion and keeping the stock oil system. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441357085.781912.jpg

10. Twoche

Twoche

Hey Richie, Where did you get the insert bearings from and also the zepher intake?

11. The Zepher intake is a genuine 1950s item. The inserts, thrust washers and most other internal parts were purchased from Snyders.
    You also need to find someone to modify the block to take the inserts, not something that can be done by every machine shop