Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The 60 year history of a little California Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Aug 30, 2015.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ok...I'm friggin worn out from all this posting, resizing, typing crap...I need some lunch...c'mon kitty, let's go eat

2. Dang Larry, I was stationed in San Diego in Oct '65. Just missed it.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bet I know what Larry's next HAMB classifieds ad is gonna say!

4. Hot Damn,I am stoked for you Larry,saving a cool piece of hot rod history.

Is Harold still with us and if so have you been in touch with him to let him know you are the proud new caretaker?

BTW,looks like the cat approves,if the cat didn't like it he would be facing the opposite direction. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. Damn. Do the HAMBs have an emmy show ? An Oscars ? Best Prime Time presentation, on a Sunday. Best Director. Best Actor. Best Picture. Ya' probably dunno' sh#t about music ... but I'll even give you Best Score. Brilliant !

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Danny, the really cool part of this is that Harold and Jimmie are still alive and kicking...and Harold lives two blocks away from me! They are both in their 70's. Harold has a nice '34 5w street rod. Harold came over to see the car and brought all these pics I've shown...he was not a happy camper that Jimmie let the car fall into such disrepair.

7. I'm sure he is disappointed in the roadster pickups current state of condition but hopefully you can get the car back to it's former glory and take him for a ride before too much longer.

BTW, who would have guess 41 years after you took those photo's you would end up owning that truck. HRP

3wLarry likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully this thread may give a lead to the where abouts of the full running gear.
    Very cool story.
    3W Larry looks like the cat that got the cream.

3wLarry and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

And your plans Larry are ........................................................ ?

3wLarry, volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Nice tale Larry. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.

11. From 7 window Larry to no window Larry...
    Do that car justice. It was a great looking little rod.

12. Great story.............so far, and obviously that RPU is the Cat's Meow.:D;)

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Great story Larry. I used to work with Harold before he decided to retire and finish up his '34. He had related the story of that car to me before he retired and I wondered whatever happened to it. Glad you have found it and will bring it back to life.

14. Worth the wait. Do it up right, Larry.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now it's starting to get weird for me here cuz that's what I said back in the thread
    Sighting your first hot rod, I mentioned that I thought it might be a 29 Ford rpu.
    Scary

3wLarry likes this.
  16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The first thing I need to do is put an original subframe back on the body so I can properly mount the bed...I scored one off craigslist just last week for $150 with a cowl...see it behind body in pics. The original builder of this rpu in Cali custom made a frame from the front half of a Model A frame and probably 2x4 square tubing on back...looks like it anyway from the pics. He cut the original subframe off...why?...dunno.

The original front suspension was 1935-36 axle behind setup with unsplit wishbones and NO shocks that constantly bottomed out on the frame...no way I'm gonna use that...looks goofy. I always thought it was just a cheap and easy way for guys to get the car down without spending coin on a dropped axle...my setup will have a dropped big beam and split bones.

BTW...anyone notice I said MY SETUP. This is my car now...not theirs anymore...they had their fun with it, now it's my turn...gonna be built the way I want it...not gonna restore a POS back to the way it was, no matter how cool it looked.

17. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Here's my story on the car. I road a lot of miles with Harold in that car, When the NHRA nats were in town in 76 we make all the motels and watch the crews work on the dragsters. When it would overheat we would just shut it off and wait 30 min and then it would be good to go. I along with Harold tried to buy that car from Jimmy many times. No Sale. I have the Astros front wheels from the car and have had for along time. Oh! Larry I'm still President of the Tulsa Roadsters were having our 50th reunion in Sept. Good luck on bring this fine old Hot Rod back.

18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

It's yours, build it your way. Hot rods continue to evolve just like the people that own them. Don't be dissuaded into making it into something it was.

Mike

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

maybe callin this little car a POS was a little too strong...Harold didn't build this car...he traded for it and tried to improve it...I'm just taking this hot rod to the next level in safety and comfort........is that an oxymoron?

20. As I mentioned earlier in the thread,I know you can do the RP justice,hot rods are a personal expression. HRP

21. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

You know I was thinkin, While your deciding which way your going on the build I could hook a chain onto that pallet that you have the body on, hook it to my roadster and pull you around town.
    That would be KOOL

alanp561, Model T1, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.

22. So....you gonna restore it back to a T Model........?....:rolleyes:

Model T1 and 3wLarry like this.
  23. Neat car Larry, looking forward to the rebirth!

3wLarry likes this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

My gut says you'll flip it......patiently waiting to see.

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

great story, and fun looking project!

on a side note, no need to resize before uploading pictures,
    Ryan fixed the auto-resize feature :)

charleyw, kidcampbell71 and 3wLarry like this.
  26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

uh, no...I'm thinking about maybe deuce rails with Model A front cross member and frame horns...dropped big beam axle/split bones...40 brakes...open drive 35 banjo/35 front spring on rear/40 brakes...and a 283. :p

and I'm not touching the paint or the upholstery...just gonna super douche them

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

now you tell me

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I could prolly make some money off it...I only gave 3K for it. But with that little money invested, I can have some really cheap fun with this...I'll keep it for awhile.

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

maybe something like this with a shorty bed on it...

modelt27black4[1].jpg

30. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Uh.... That's a Hot Rod.

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.