Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

Old Sparks, I know I'm converter challenged. I have a "metric" converter that is totally acceptable on the street but not optimum for racing. I don't have a tach yet so I don't know what it stalls at. Plus, with my 'don't hurt the equipment" attitude I'm just pussyfooting it. Gotta beat on it next time out. I do believe there is an 8" converter in the car's future.

Thanks for he porting info, Dick.

Gonna start on my steel Bantam coupe soon. it gets a 468 big block that my brother gave to me. Never been run.That should satisfy the unge to run more modern wquipment. The 300 Ford 6 in the dragster is built to be very durable and I doubt I'll ever have to consider an engine change.

2. Old28

Old28

With the 300 motor set up as you have to be very durable you might go to a 10" converter in the 3500 RPM range. It would stall at around 2700-2900 RPM with your foot brake setup and the car should leave real clean. 8" converters are more for high HP motors with big cams that work in the 5500 -6500 range. I am not an expert on converters, just some old school race knowledge.

3. old sparks

old sparks

Tom, you`re right. I ran a summit 10 inch that with my setup stalled at 2000. My 8 inch stalled behind a big block at 5000. Behind my six, it stalls at 3800 to 4000. With a redline at 5500, it seems to work well.

4. Old28

Old28

Also all 8" converters are not the same and they operate & stall based on motor HP. With your big 292+ and bob's 300"+ I would agree with your 3800 - 4000 stall. With the small 194" motor I had it would only stall to 2200 - 2600. It just needed more HP to make it work. Mark and Mike in AZ had their converters built for low hp 6 cylinder motors and they work great and they sound like they are stalling at 3500 - 3800 in the videos they have sent. But what do I know, I'm old, with no race car and only one good eye.:D:eek::)

loudbang likes this.
  5. bobw

bobw

I hooked up my timing light/tach and set it in "tach" mode. Started the car, put it in gear, pushed the trans brake button and floored it. The maximun rpm I saw was 2,900. Thinking I could use more. How much difference in e.t. can I expect with another 1,000 rpm stall?

6. old sparks

old sparks

I can only tell you what I did that increased my "stall" by 300 rpm. I first got the carb setup right by looking at the plugs and exhaust color then in my case started at 32 degrees advance , made a pass .then advanced the timing until top speed fell off. I made at least 2 passes for consistency then dropped it back to the previous setting. I only changed the timing 2 degrees at a time. Another is use non resister plugs and a good hot ignition. Don`t try solid core wires with msd products, ask me how I know. I know I run a chevy but it`s still a pinch type combustion chamber as is the ford.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Old28

Old28

I would agree with old sparks method. You are going to need 3500 -3800 stall with those slicks or the car may bog a little. With the additional RPM 60' time should be better. I'm thinking 36 - 38 degrees advance. You get all of this sorted out the ET will fall. Remember, like you said, you got to drive it like you want it.:eek: Easy for me to say as I can only enjoy the racing from my computer.:rolleyes:

8. old sparks

old sparks

Nother thing is, even with an hp carb with 4 corner idle system my plugs are not consistant from 1 to 6. Outside plugs are reading leaner than 3& 4. I`m going to change to a multiple carb induction to get the runner length more even. This is going to be a winter project because I challenged Roseville carls flathead slingshot to race at eagle field and I need time to sort the new combo out. Boy am I gonna get my butt kicked.

9. Old28

Old28

Bob, just keep in mind that it is about how quick you get to the stripe not how fast your going. A motor on the lean side will stall quicker and higher to help those ET's but may fall off on the MPH a little. I liked using my 2x4 intake and most of the plugs looked even. I know it sounds all wrong but those Ford 300" and Chevy 292" motors like dual 500/600/750 CFM carbs. Scott Cummings out of Pacific Northwest Group has run them on his 292+ motor.

10. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    (A pit Shot)
    Today was the Minnesota Street Rod Assn Super Secret Fun Run held at Brainerd International Raceway. It's a closed drag racing and show event for members only. I brought the dragster and also lent my Crosley to a friend to run. Weather was perfect and since the track held the NHRA event the week before, where all the nitro records were shattered, the track was very sticky. Unfortunately they ran us nostalgia cars on a pro tree, my first experience with that. Me reaction times were pitiful. I did run a best of 12.07 @114.29 and it was fun! My 60 foot time on that run wasn't good, so if I take my best 60 foot time and combine it with... well, you know how drag racers rationalize, I coulda had an 11.99 or better. Maybe next time.

Drewfus and loudbang like this.
  11. Old28

Old28

Sounds like a fine weekend. 11's are just around the corner. I am sure those big slicks and a sticky track did not help your 60' times. You may have been able to run 10-12 PSI for a little less bight, but the run is not all about the 60'. 12.07 @ 114 got to make you smile. Its a new set-up, takes time to get everything in order. Mid 11's is in your future for sure. Will you be able to run the car a few more times before the weather turns tough in your area?

12. bobw

bobw

Tom, the slicks are 26 by 8" so not very big. I have them really inflated, about 20#. I'd stage and get one yellow and then green. Didn't have time to pick up the revs. I left the car on the trailer, with a cover on it. So I'm not packing it away yet. Hope to get it to a TnT in a couple weeks. There's unfinished business. Should be able to crack the 11's just with seat time and driving technique. Then I'll start tuning, and probably make it slower.

13. Old28

Old28

You were doing all the right things and I hope you get another T&T in this year. Those pro lights are a little hard to get used to when you run a full tree most of the time and even harder with out a trans brake to get the RPM's up. I'm sure for that special event they run the pro light to speed up the program. Looking forward to your first 11's ET slip. Glad you had a great weekend.

14. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Bring it to Tulsa on Sept 19 to the nitro nats and run with the SDRA guys, you would have a great time.

15. bobw

bobw

I'd love to Mr Mac. I wore an SDRA tee shirt all last weekend and enjoy watching you guys on You Tube. Unfortunately, I seldom travel outside the 5 county Mosquito Control District and besides, I need to find a half second e.t. reduction just to keep up.

16. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic someone posted on the main board of me running the dragster against my Crosley. The Crosley eventually went 10.62 @ 120 mph, but this run he smoked me 11.03 to 12.37.

Old6rodder likes this.
  17. Old28

Old28

That's a great shot of your two cars. Your buddy had the Crosley in the fast lane, 10.62 @ 120, does the car still have the 400" engine with a PG? Looks sweet, great day of fun with other members.

18. bobw

bobw

Tom, It's a 406 with a 350th. Has a trans brake but didn't use it this time. He's far more experienced and drove it harder than I am inclined to. I held him to a 5,000 rpm red line though so he was just maintaining top speed for the last 300-400 feet.

The dragster was at 5,400 rpm at the stripe.(calculated)

19. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Ah, come on we don't have any mosquito's :D and we will help you find that 1/2 sec. It's all in the can:rolleyes:

20. bobw

bobw

I'm sorry Mr. Mac it's just not practical for me to travel that far. Mosquitos or no mosquitos.

Going to TnT Saturday and by GOD, I'm going to learn how to drive the thing.

21. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Film at eleven? :D

22. Old28

Old28

For what it is worth Bob, pro lights are hard and fast when your used to a full tree. I let the other car set his top light then I get up on the converter and set both my top then bottom light with a little brake bump. I don't get off the converter as you do not have time to get back on it before you see yellow..:rolleyes:

You will do fine, only took me 30 years to learn how to foot brake a car and I am not that good ( to many years with a trans brake). Your a fast learner and that half second your looking for may well be right there at the start. Have a safe T&T session this weekend you lucky dog.:cool::)

loudbang likes this.
  23. old sparks

old sparks

Like Tom said, you`ll do fine. If it`s any help, I went through the sequence once or twice while sitting in the staging lanes ( with the engine off)

24. Old28

Old28

Another idea to take the car down to return road area when you first get to the track and work on a few sequences with no leave. Most tracks will let you test converter stall at the return area. Get used to being up on the converter & bumping forward a few inches without getting out of the converter. Forget about RT during this learning session.

REMEMBER -- JUST BEING IN THE CAR IS BETTER THAN A SEAT IN THE STANDS;)

Hope you have time to make a full pass and see if you can get that 11 sec run in the books.:eek::cool:

25. Bobw,
    if the track you're T&T at is NHRA sanctioned be careful some tracks frown on that if the car is not on jackstands;).Yours truly has been known to send a few home after such practices before the lanes were even open. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes this weekend. Good Luck!!

26. Old28

Old28

Ya 300's right, ask track crew first. Never had a problem as long it was not in pits.:D Good luck

27. old sparks

old sparks

Bob, since I know nothing about the ford 300 six I have a couple of questions. How hard is it to get good performance motor parts and how tight can you spin one of these motors ? I have a friend that`s interested in building a car and I need a new project.

28. Old28

Old28

Bob, do we have a weekend T&T session in the books? :D Looking for some new numbers:cool:.

29. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Tom, I knew you'd ask. I didn't go, and here's the culprit. My little girl Lily got sick and spent a night at the Vet's. A tick bite got infected, not Lyme's, but another ailment. I had to stay with her Saturday and stuff pills down her throat.
    Another chance in two weeks.

30. Old28

Old28

Test & Tune any time, main point of the morning is how is Lily doing?;) Side kicks come first, as it should be.:)