Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dad-bud, Aug 16, 2015.

1. dad-bud

dad-bud

OK, some say if you dont have photos, it never happened. I'm going to try posting some.
    upload_2015-8-28_15-32-35.png .
    On the road to El Mirage
    upload_2015-8-28_15-33-48.png ...

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. dad-bud

dad-bud

El Mirage
    upload_2015-8-28_15-35-25.png
    The only people there that day were dirt bikers and ATV riders Naturally I had been hoping for a couple of roadsters and streamliners - ah well, we don't always get what we want
    upload_2015-8-28_15-36-23.png

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Looks like your having a great time,thanks for adding the photo's. HRP

dad-bud likes this.
  4. dad-bud

dad-bud

The coast between Big Sur and Carmel
    upload_2015-8-28_15-38-52.png .
    upload_2015-8-28_15-40-59.png

volvobrynk and 63fdsnr like this.
  5. dad-bud

dad-bud

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, as you can see by the photos. A perfect convertible car day
    upload_2015-8-28_15-42-27.png

63fdsnr likes this.
  6. dad-bud

dad-bud

It's pretty obvious now how Pebble Beach got its name - duh!!!!!
    upload_2015-8-28_15-45-23.png
    and here's Lone Cypress - not to be confused with Lone Pine which has a totally different meaning to ANZACs
    upload_2015-8-28_15-49-22.png

7. Great pics. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    -Pat

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Day 4
    First place to visit was Roy Brizio Street Rods in South SF.
    They're very welcoming to visitors and let me just wander around the workshop - keeping out of everyone's way. The quality of the workmanship is outstanding - guys fettling away to get things perfect.
    Some of the cars looked a little street-roddy to the traditional perfectionist, but if that's what the customer wants, then that's what they shall have. Ain't no RRs here.
    A couple of 32 roadsters, a couple of 32 coupes and a 34 roadster among an array of other 'less-mainstream' cars.
    I'm grateful for the chance to have a look around. I'd recommend a visit to anyone.
    upload_2015-8-28_16-0-56.png
    upload_2015-8-28_16-1-40.png

9. dad-bud

dad-bud

10. wandi harry

wandi harry

You will not find a rod there but you gotta see yosemite

11. dad-bud

dad-bud

upload_2015-8-28_16-4-29.png

upload_2015-8-28_16-5-14.png
    Did I say the quality of the workmanship looked outstanding? Very nice - it reminded me of a few guys work on the 'board

12. dad-bud

dad-bud

Definitely heading there. Thanks for the tip

13. dad-bud

dad-bud

upload_2015-8-28_16-7-59.png
    Some people just hang pics on their wall - not Roy - a whole friggin' FED!!!!!!!
    Now that IS showing off!

14. dad-bud

dad-bud

Lombard Street, SF after we left RBSR
    upload_2015-8-28_16-10-3.png
    Man, those streets are steeeeeeep!!!
    upload_2015-8-28_16-11-4.png

15. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

Im late to this thread but heres a bit of info for you to check off your list. Colorado blvd in Pasadena is part of Route 66. So if you havent before, now you can say you've stayed on the "Mother Road"

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

Day 3 cont.
    We grew tired of the crowded streets, the lack of parking in SF and feeling we had been here already so we decided to head over to Sacramento, the California State Capital
    We wandered around town for a little while, taking a few pics. It seems a little impersonal - kinda a bit too well planned - a bit like Canberra in Aust - designed by an architect, with all straight lines and not much soul.
    We took a few pics of the Capitol Building but they don't want to copy so I can paste them here - I'll have to try something else I guess.

17. dad-bud

dad-bud

Yeah, signs all over the place telling us we were on Historic Route 66 - that was part of the attraction to Pasadena (along with the 'Little Old Lady from..............'
    :)

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

Back to the pics
    upload_2015-8-28_16-38-53.png
    too artistic?
    upload_2015-8-28_16-40-1.png

19. Sent you a PM

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

Day 5
    Oakland to Eureka via Napa and Fort Bragg
    Past Sonoma Raceway in preparation for the Indy Cars this coming weekend.
    (Deepest sympathy to Justin Wilson's family for their tragic loss)
    Into Napa and then up through Yountville (what a beautiful, manicured spot).
    Driving through the Napa Valley was very much like going through the Barossa, McLaren Vale, the Swan Valley or Margaret River winery districts back home - lots of people trying very hard to get you to come and buy their wines or other home made artisnal products.
    upload_2015-8-29_4-30-54.png
    They're all convinced that their wines or other goods stand head and shoulders above the rest. They can't all be right - and some are a long way from right.
    Still, nice place to visit.

63fdsnr likes this.
  21. dad-bud

dad-bud

Day 5 cont.
    After the Napa, we toured through the country two-lane blacktop byways to Ukiah, then on to Fort Bragg for some late lunch.
    Fort Bragg was unlike what we expected - I was thinking it would be more of a holiday mecca. It's a little old and tired but the locals obviously love living there - it seems laid back and cruisey, just a little weather-beaten.
    The coast was quite foggy for the drive from there to Eureka.
    upload_2015-8-29_4-44-50.png
    When we finally got to Eureka, we found it is quite a bit bigger than Ft Bragg, but also showing some wear and tear, with lots of run down areas around town.
    It was a quiet night though, so that was good.

Attached Files:

22. rfraze

rfraze

Eureka! You made it. Take a left over on to Samoa to see the only beach front dragstrip in CAL. (By the airport) (If it is not open just walk on in)Samoa Cookhouse has GREAT food, family-style, but a really great logging museum which will give you an idea of what the beautiful forests you are about to see used to look like. The equipment they used to fell these monsters will blow your mind. Then you get to drive thru the gorgeous regrowth.
    Prepare for some of the most beautiful coastline anywhere, as you make your way up Oregon's coast. Woodburn Dragstrip (30 miles S of Portland) has the 230+ mph Nitro Harleys this weekend. (Maybe more unbelievable than the coastal beauty.) Enjoy, Your gracious Oregon tour guide

23. toml24

toml24

If your still in Northern California, try to get over to see BODIE, California, the best "Ghost Town", in the West.I was there once about 9 years ago and as you approach you will think this was a mistake to go but I guarantee the place will grow on you and you will be overwhelmed by everything. Take it all in and appreciate the way life was in California 125 years ago.

24. dad-bud

dad-bud

Along the way to Eureka, we stopped in at the Chandelier Tree in Leggett. Naturally, we took a photo, but I guess you'd prefer this one to the Korean POS we're drivin' (plus it's a 37, which is always good)
    [​IMG]
    Day 6 Eureka to Salem

From Eureka, we headed up the coast to Crescent City, admiring the views along the coast before heading inland to Grants Pass.
    The smoke was thicker than the fog we'd been through as we left Eureka and naturally stank. It didn't affect our progress though and the trees were thick and close to the road all the way but the road was good and the traffic thankfully fairly light.
    upload_2015-8-29_6-0-41.png
    Once we hit the I-5, it was easy driving to Salem where we stopped for the night.
    upload_2015-8-29_6-43-56.png
    We didn't know before we got there, but Salem is the capital of Oregon, a reasonable size city and they have a lovely art deco Capitol Building (the previous two Capitol Buildings burned down).
    upload_2015-8-29_6-44-42.png

upload_2015-8-29_6-46-25.png

63fdsnr likes this.
  25. dad-bud

dad-bud

Day 7 Salem to Astoria - the hard way
    Mrs DB decided we should take in our chance at a State Fair.
    Smelly animals, deep fried anything, candy floss, quilting, scrap booking, dog shows....... you name it, it was there. Just like the Shows we have back home (Perth Show, Melbourne Show, etc)
    Some strange sights, for sure
    upload_2015-8-29_6-55-13.png
    Deep fried Oreos, Deep fried Twinkies, Chocolate dipped cheesecake - FFS!!!!! There should be laws against this!!!
    ........ and what's this? I thought this kinda shit had gone decades ago. WTF are KKK Sheep doin' at the State Fair?
    upload_2015-8-29_6-57-44.png
    And here's a pic of me and the lovely Mrs
    upload_2015-8-29_6-58-59.png

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

After a couple of hours of fun and joy, we left the show, knowing that the locals were enjoying themselves. The kids would have been all sugared-up, throwing up on all the whirling-dervish rides and dragging their oversized stuffed toys around with them to show their prowess at throwing a ring over a bottle neck, etc.
    Good for them - all good clean fun (unless you get a 5 year old vomitting down your neck, but I digress)
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot - we saw the original merry-go-round................ with real horses!
    upload_2015-8-29_7-11-8.png
    Having heard and read in the Vintage Pics thread about Mount Hood and Columbia River Gorge, we had to head over there. Unfortunately, Mt Hood doesn't really rate on the GPS and once we left our motel, we were without internet, so we had to kinda wing it to get to Mt Hood.
    Along the way, we saw a bunch of people doing a fun-run. Good for them, I say. Not one of them looked like they were having fun - pained expressions were the order of the day.
    Their idea of fun was to run from Mt Hood to the coast at Seaside, in teams of 7 apparently.
    Mount Hood was looking good
    upload_2015-8-29_7-9-53.png

27. dad-bud

dad-bud

From Mt Hood, we went down the hill to the little town of Hood River.
    The City Centre was still full of nice old buildings - all repurposed from their original owners, with lots of coffee shops and handcrafts, etc
    upload_2015-8-29_7-14-57.png
    We crossed the river with the plan to drive a 2-lane blacktop rather than the Interstate back into Portland, but roadworks signs said there was likely to be a 45 minute delay, so we crossed back again and used the quicker route.
    upload_2015-8-29_7-18-22.png
    One advantage of driving along the Oregon side was that we were able to stop at Multnomah Falls to look at the beautiful old lodge as well as the falls
    upload_2015-8-29_7-20-12.png

upload_2015-8-29_7-20-54.png
    Arriving late in Astoria, we found a motel, internet to update our posts and then settled down for the night

63fdsnr likes this.
  28. toucan

toucan
    from sc

great pics! nice to see america thru a car guys eyes.

29. dad-bud

dad-bud

Thanks toucan, I'd never thought of it like that. I guess we do have a different perspective to many others.
    Cheers

30. dad-bud

dad-bud

Day 8 - Astoria to Seattle
    After a quick look around Astoria, we headed up the coast again to Aberdeen.
    A big storm blew through as we left and there was lots of damage from broken limbs and leaves blanketing the road, which slowed us down. Driving rain made it difficult and everything was grey so no photos worth posting.
    When we got to Seattle, the traffic was a nightmare - trees blown down all over the place, power out.
    It took us ages to get across town to our motel, which at least has power.
    Along the way, we saw lots of trees down, some across power lines, a couple had come down on houses which had huge amounts of damage.
    When we got to our room, we just heard that a little 10 year old girl had been killed by a falling tree branch - a tragedy for her and her family.
    Not sure what to do tonight as it looks like it will take a few days for Seattle to even get power back on to everyone, let alone fix everything like it used to be.
    Plan for tomorrow is thr Boeing factory.
    ................... until then.