Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 50_OldsRocket, Aug 28, 2015.

1. 50_OldsRocket

50_OldsRocket

Picked up this gem the other day. 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 2dr. I plan on putting 2.5 dropped uprights up front and 3in drop coils in the back. Taking off those ugly hubcaps and going with a mint green for the steel wheels. And ignore the 1949 license plate, the guy just had it on there. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. williebill

williebill

Cool car. Hope there's some new chrome in your future.

kiwijeff and 50_OldsRocket like this.
  3. Is that a Fastback? Looks like a good start, what motor is in it?

4. Lot of good potential there. Too bad you have the 80's monocolor look in flat black, there is a lot of nice chrome on those cars.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Great score. 50 Oldsmobies always have been a great favorite of mine.

Gary

6. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

50 Olds is one of my bucket list cars. You are a lucky guy!

50_OldsRocket likes this.
  7. 50_OldsRocket

50_OldsRocket

Its a 2dr sedan. The back windows are just a little bigger than the coupe. And here's the kicker...... Someone put a 302 with a C4 tranny in it and a Ford 9in rear. They did a decent job with the swap and its a good set up but im not a Ford guy. I want to eventually bring it make to a true GM car.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I'm a Ford guy and an Olds guy (have a 50 coupe), but a small block Ford in that car, makes me think it came from Cuba ! Good luck with your project, and welcome.

9. 50_OldsRocket

50_OldsRocket

Well this Olds would be right up your alley! Thank you

10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Maybe I can give you some inspiration. Our own Bobert (RIP) here on the HAMB completed this nice sedan a couple of years before he passed. What a great job he did! Pictured is Bobert's wife, and son Jeff, who recently took mom for a ride.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Love those cars...
    Yeah, it needs chrome.
    Just me but I never did like those three bar flipper hub caps...on anything...
    Keep us posted....

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think you need to go up at least one cubic inch to a 303. or a 324--or a 371...get my drift?

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Holy crap, that looks just like my dads first car in '58. If I can figure out how to scan a pic of it I will post it to this thread.

14. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Those hubcaps are cool

15. Thanks to the Hamb, I now favour early 50s Olds over Chevy's.
    They just have that something extra.
    Yours looks to be an almost blank canvas, ready for a rebirth.
    I can't get into the lack of chrome though, that front end needs to sparkle, imho.

16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favourites, Here's one I used to own. Dads Olds.jpg

17. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I'm partial to them as well. olds wag41.JPG

18. Great cars....the Rocket 88 has to be one of the top logos of all time...but please let's pray they didn't totally trash the chrome with the black paint....shitty chrome is 10 times better than painted chrome

19. Paul B

Paul B

I like them too IMG_0285.JPG

50_OldsRocket likes this.
  20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool car! Perfect for V/SA. I think the index was 27.00

21. stimpy

stimpy

even though I own a 50 Chieftain ( same body style ) , I still like the simplistic olds grille , and your lucky as yours is in a lot better condition than mine , but you probably paid more than I did . and putting a old motor even if its the 80's workhorse 307 ( one of GMs best for the late 70's and 80's) under the hood would be a nice thing to do

22. 50_OldsRocket

50_OldsRocket

That is a beauty! He did a great job.

23. 50_OldsRocket

50_OldsRocket

Should I move this thread into Traditional Customs?

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Leave it in this forum so everyone can appreciate it. I like the car, but the powertrain is a little iffy; it really needs to be Rocket powered. Not far from me, a mile or so as the crow flies, is a 1950 Oldsmobile.............................SEDAN DELIVERY!!! It's one of EIGHT ever produced, and they were only used to ferry parts/people/paperwork around the plants. I guess they were later given to exec types. I talked to the guy one day, and it had been a running/driving car until a couple of years ago. Now, it's sitting outside; it's far from being a nice car in it's current state, but the potential is huge. The guy does sheet metal work and fabrication. Gave me a brief tour of his shop, and amongst the clutter are some amazing things; like the Donovan aluminum HEMI. I could have spent a couple of days there just digging through everything. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

warbird1 and 50_OldsRocket like this.
  25. 2Loose

2Loose

Very Nice Score there....
    I'd say you have a very good base to work from, please keep us posted.
    The '49 - '50 Oldsmobiles have always been a favorite of mine, been looking for one for years, but never found one that I wanted to own/work on. I have a '57 371 J2 that would look cherry sitting in there!
    And eventually I'll work on the '57 Super 88 I have secretly stashed away.
    But it's not for sale....
    Willy

26. 50_OldsRocket

50_OldsRocket

Had some time to do a little work this weekend. I've been ordering parts for the last week and finally got my new uprights and disc brake conversion kit. My buddy let me use his lift to get the front end done and those king pins about had us beat! Pretty much destroyed a brass punch.
    IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1861.jpg IMG_1862.jpg IMG_1863.jpg

27. Fogger

Fogger

The '50 Oldsmobiles are an American Classic, coupe, sedan, fastback and wagon. Make great cruisers and ought to have at least a 324 Olds engine and a LaSalle stick. A buddy of mine had a fastback in high school and we had great times in it cruising the Van De Kamps and Bob's near our homes. Love um! Good luck with your build and I agree the bumpers should be chrome.

Dago 88 likes this.
  28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Congrats on a great find I'm a 50 Olds lover too I'll be keeping tabs on your build here! Joe

29. belair

belair

I love those cars. Got a 324, just waitinG for one to come my way.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I was a kid in the 70's there was a 50 Olds coupe with a louvered hood, chrome wheels, whitewalls and a California Rake just a block from school. faded "candy apple red" paint, with a red and white tuck and roll interior. this car was worn out and faded, shaved trunk and I don't remember what else was done outside. this was in the drive way. there was an equally faded 32 roadster in the garage. he sold it before I had my license or I probably would have bought it.