Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac suspension spring question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SJ, Aug 28, 2015.

1. SJ

SJ
    from Boise

I am working on my first car project and need some help on suspension springs as mine are pretty worn and rusted so here goes. As far as a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain goes I found rear leaf springs on the Kanter catalog for $650.00, and coil spring for $250. Both kits seem good and have all the mounting parts, however if I want the car to sit with a little lower stance would I want to go back in with something similar to the stock suspension? Cost is somewhat of a factor I am really searching for a cheaper option. What really matters is that the car ride good, but I am not familiar with anyone making parts for my car other than Kanter or Pontiac Parts.net.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

2. I would look in the Houston yellow pages...I'm sure there is a spring and axle place there..they can make you new springs,rearch your old or any chore you desire...and probably much cheaper than places like Kantner...In Dallas,I always used Weaver Spring....

3. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

I have a rear end with leaf springs in decent shape, and the front coils of my 50 poncho I don't need....

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Just take it to a local spring shop. They will make and install brand new springs for $250 or so, a bargain. If your old ones are not too far gone they can be rearched and reconditioned for less than that.

If you wish they can make springs with a flatter profile or reversed eyes. I would suggest stock type springs with 2" lowering blocks. They are about as low as you can go for a driver, without chassis mods or air springs.

It may seem to sit high with new springs but they will flatten out and take a set after a few weeks.

5. Kanter does not make springs but Eaton does. Contact Eaton Springs and get springs from them.

6. stimpy

stimpy

either buy new ones at a spring shop ( my local one will make them but they have to order the material in as they are thinner in width ) and use lowering blocks or hit up pontiac guy for his old ones , never dearch a spring as it will not keep its arch and flatten out quicker .

7. All springs will get surface rust..it won't hurt them. I've had a slug of old Pontiacs and never had spring issues except for a broken center bolt or 2. When I was a kid we broke a main leaf in our 46 Pontiac coupe.
    I'd disassemble the rear springs and clean and inspect them. If the 2nd leaf has worn a deep groove into the main leaf, a new main leaf can be made by a competent spring shop. Paint, lube and reassemble with new center bolts and shackle bushings.
    Unless the fronts are broken, collapsed, they should be reusable. Clean, paint and lop off a loop to get it lower.
    These are a few of mine with cut coils [55 wagon needed 3 full loops removed...had a light 301 Pontiac motor] All others had cut coils [1-2 coils] and lowering blocks. 55WAGON.jpg rockys48pontiacatsleds.jpg 41atsaltaccessroad.jpg

8. SJ

SJ
    from Boise

Thanks Everybody I appreciate it. That's what I needed to know. By the way Rocky those are some fantastic looking cars exactly what I'm looking to do.