Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

2. woodbox

woodbox

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like it. It goes with the simple lines and the perfect stance. Are you still happy with your rear suspension setup? I hope so because that's where I'm headed.

Malcolm likes this.
  4. Lookin' good man! This car is evolving. In 50 years someone will have to decide which iteration of Nick's Roadster they will restore it to.

Malcolm and alchemy like this.
  5. Wow! Very nice. Looks outstanding!

Malcolm likes this.
  6. hasty

hasty

The Hallock windshield looked wonderful, but understand why you are making the change. Still looks great. One of the pleasures of your car is that it has seemed to have the essence of a hot rod - do you think the (very nice) gauge panel is a little bit fancy?

7. Nick, I really dig all the changes you have made for the better. Can't wait to see it at Platte City event.
    3 window is coming along just not fast enough for me...Ha You will have to check out my build page to see where I am at on it. Shawn wants me to have it at the show as does Tammy. Just not sure I can get it that far along by then.

Malcolm likes this.
  8. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

Looks good Nick, I've always liked that windshield treatment on 28-29 roadsters, looks killer on your car! It was good to see you guys at HAMB drags, I'm already looking forward to next year!

Malcolm likes this.
  9. Was good to see you and Jason at the Wed. nite cruise, even tho I didn't get an opportunity to talk to you guys. I did get to jaw with Rob Lee tho and congrat him on the new "paint job" on his A-coupe...

Malcolm likes this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Not a chance in hell! haha... The small block Ford has been way too much fun to ever swap out.

I ran a 12.09/115 mph at the HAMB Drags last weekend. Eventually I hope to make a good pass in the 11s.

IMG_20150827_085950_405.jpg

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes, sir! The rear suspension has worked out well.

You make a very good point and I always appreciate your thoughtful input and comments.
    I did put a lot of thought into the gauge panel and didn't want it to have too much of a 'street rod' look. Painting the inserts black helped a lot and after painting the dash, I may blast the panel with a material that would make it have more of a cast look.
    I definitely want to keep this car looking all 'Hot Rod'.

It was great to see you and Brice at the Drags! Your pickup is turning out super cool and it sure looked like you were having fun racing it. Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat more.

12. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I love your car, as stated above the essence of a hot rod. I have been working on a 29 roadster for a couple of years now, and have followed your lead at several decisions. Although you have made a few changes to your car along the way, like the model a radiator shell and the 35 - 36 dash. Again, love the car, one of my very favorites.

Malcolm likes this.
  13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!

The trans came with a Hurst shifter with adjustable stops. I'm not sure of the throw distance between gears, but the shift handle is approx. 7" long and seems to work well for street and strip. I actually made the handle out of a '40s Ford hydraulic shock arm/lever.

D-Russ likes this.
  14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the weather cools off this fall, get out to your local dragstrip for some of those magic timeslips. You are a bit more traction and a few degrees cooler away from a nice solid 11 second 1/4mile.

That little car hauls ass.

See ya, -Abone.

Malcolm likes this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Low 12s in print is quick. I don't care who you are. I'd love to see it make a run.

loudbang and Malcolm like this.
  16. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Malcolm, are you running tubes in your street tires?

I just got the same bias looking radials for mine.

Thanks
    Tom

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's exactly what I hope to do --- thanks man!!

18. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Ah good call. I'll do the same. I'm running the budd artillery wheels now.

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

20. BuildFan

BuildFan

BuildFan here from BuildThreads, Inc.

Congrats and nice work, Malcom - this build thread was chosen as a Best Build Thread pick for this week. [​IMG]

What this means is that a bunch of guys who like to build stuff (cars, trucks, 4x4s, bikes, cabins, boats, planes, and garages) and have read a ton of build threads, thought that this build thread makes a valuable contribution to online DIY culture.

So, without further ado:

[​IMG]
    Head over to HotRodBuilds.net for more outstanding builds!

21. Way to go Nick........Well deserved my friend.....

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey that's cool!

23. Elrod

Elrod

24. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Very deserving really a top notch hot rod

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Well, that's pretty damn cool. Thanks a ton!

Dannerr, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Well deserved - congrats!

27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I just watched the 1320 video of you goin rounds at the no prep drags in this roadster. Too cool man!

Malcolm, Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Nick, You are the man dude! That was so dam kool.

29. Great going, Nick! I remember how you tore up the hides at MoKan in '13 - love that little roadster!

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hey, thanks a lot guys - I appreciate it!

I must say, this car has morphed into something I had never planned for it to be.
    It's much quicker than I had intended. From initial plans to run a Y-block, installing a budget friendly stock '86 Mustang 302/T5, to the (approx.) 400hp 347 that is now in it. I had never thought about bolting slicks on it. Now I run the 29.5x7.00 M&H Racemasters at the track and they hook quite well.

The next car will be planned out better and will have a roof and a cage to go 10.99.. at least.