Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. (I'm WHISPERING) Tony, hey Tony.., uhm, it's CP Pistons & Carrillo Rods. Ok cool, no biggie.

Dog_Patch and 3dnsouth like this.
  2. PS. The pistons aren't just on the drawing board, were making chips out in the shop too.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You should put up video of that for us poor foke that only afford off the shelf parts.

4. I need more vintage looking CP Carrillo stickers so it will sink in my thick head :D

Probably too top secret to get any 'in the lab' pics :cool:

5. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Update on the Thomas engines theft. We assumed since they recovered most of the stolen items that the rest would be found. We assumed that since they recovered most of the items people would be arrested. We were wrong. To date two of johnnys personal engines are still missing along with a page of parts n stuff. To my knowledge the police have YET to arrest ANYBODY in this case. Doesnt make a bit of sense to me and i fear we may never get johnnys engines back with the police dragging their feet so long!

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Might help to get the word out thru the hot rod community as to what to be on the lookout for somebody trying to sell.

Quain Stott likes this.
  7. Went up there yesterday, he didn't give me a parts list to look for. Did you get a list Russ?

Sunday Gabriel and I went to Jimmy Huff's to start up a Ford engine - its weird how those things work - but Jimmy had a 392 Hemi crank under the bench he has had since the 80's. It had some pretty cool racer mods done to it by Reath. Johnny checked it and said it was cracked in several places.

Its had full groove mains and chrome on the journals - don't think they chrome cranks anymore.

IMG_1550 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1543 (Copy).jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Way back in the days when Don Garlits was an active campaigning racer full time touring, HRM interviewed him about his hemi engines. His comments about stock hemi cranks I still remember.
    He stated that if you magnaflux them, they're all cracked. Stated the way to check them was to hang them up suspended in the air, strike sharply with a hammer, in a none critcal place of course, and if the crank rang like a bell with a clear and sharp tone, it was OK. But if the tone had a "fuzzy" sound, shitcan it.

9. This one is "fuzzy" compared to the good crank Johnny had. He demonstrated the ring test and they both ring but they didn't sound the same.

10. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

I didnt get a list of the reamining items but i know the sbc chevys were 383 and 427 there was a set of rockers and a 4.25 scat BBC crank missing for sure. The engines are stamped TRECO

11. Rusticles! Where ya been? What's this about a new gasser project?

12. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Im hiding in the garage. Actually we are going to look at a '31 model A ford named Victoria on saturday. The Southeast Gassers group needs more 1930s cars. If it happens there will be another Gasser build thread soon! Fingers crossed that shes as sexy in person as in the pics.....; )

13. We're bringing a car hauler - that's like bringing a wedding ring on the first date ;)

14. ha ha ha Tony... we think alike!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  15. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

When's your next run a

When's the next run Tony?

16. I towed a trailer to Ft Worth and back, empty both ways. It can be done. Look it over good Russ.

Mac30 and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. Dave - its a long break - Sept 5th at Union SC is the next race.

18. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

OK will you be doing any testing in between?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  19. Trying to heard some cats and go to commerce for test and tune. Too many other distractions - like Russ buying a 31 Vicky
    [​IMG]

20. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Thanks Tony and Shaun for helping get her home and thanks to Ether for the chance to buy her. Shes a nice Solid and straight car. Im Stoked! What kinda engine should we put in her to be a Bad Ass Gasser?

Ether, GAOldsman and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Caddy olds or a hemi

Dog_Patch likes this.
  22. Always been a fan of vicky awesome find. This is mine now a 31 chevy 5 passenger coupe basically a vicky going to be a SEG also after the ol ford is done.

Attached Files:

enloe, Mac30 and Dog_Patch like this.
  23. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

@Cabbage right on!! Good times was had! Now let's get that Hemi in it and smoke the tires!

Tyresmoke likes this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's a good, solid looking body! Good lick there Cabbage!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  25. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Olds, caddy or hemi:: ditto

Dog_Patch likes this.
  26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I was going to say a high winding Hilborn injected Small Block Chevy but a Stroked Nailhead with a Hilborn on would be really cool:)

27. How fast do you want to run? I've got a 306" Small block Chevy for sale, as well as a 455 Olds, or a Super Stock 383 Dodge. An FE, or a bad ass Y block would be cool too.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  28. I really hated to see her go but I know she's in good hands! Looking forward to the updates!

29. Wondered where that car went. Russ needs to get some ideas on making a roll cage and floor. Love the look of a Vicky gasser.

[​IMG]

The man owns a 392 that runs like it was stolen :rolleyes:

Good seeing you again too bro! Always fun swapping stories. Thanks again for the tip on the 392 in the junk yard :D its getting used :)

55chieftain and Ether like this.
  30. This was a cool burger joint Ether told us about in McDonough Georgia called Kirby G's - excellent!
    [​IMG]

We saw this Tudor on the way to get the Vicky at the Model A swap in Tucker. Had a rebuilt banger motor and all the fenders and insides. $8K - Joe said it was too much but it needed zero body work. It looks like a good Race Of Gentlemen car.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and GAOldsman like this.