Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Well history and tech? Model A grill shells question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Aug 4, 2015.

1. So one of the fellas was over yesterday, he is building an A sedan from pieces for his wife to drive.

Anyway he asked me if the gill shell on my '29 was an early or late. hell I don't know its the one that came with it. Anyway I guess that they have a different peak on the top opening.

So here is mine. post yours or the pics off one's that you have collected and what you know about it. Like the history of the model a grill shell if you please.

Thanks fellas

Grill shell.jpg

2. redo32

redo32

Hey Bean, I know of several differences, but weather they are early and late or just stamped by different companies I'm not sure. The upright stamping around the rad cap is two different heights. It's been explained to me that the early crank hole has a simple round bead and the later one flairs out on the bottom. I believe the holes for the welting is also different.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  3. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Post this over on the Fordbarn and someone will know. Good Luck

4. 28/29 is shorter than 30/31

5. I would imagine that it would be narrower too as the 28/29 cowl was narrower.

I know that there are model A shells that look different then others as far as that little beak at the top of the opening is concerned. Seems like some of them it s more pronounced and others it is all but non existent. Some of them it seems like the outer edges have more of a radius than others too or maybe some are more squared off if that makes any sense.

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I was told this is a 1930, but I am no expert. Gary;) P8040007.JPG P8040008.JPG P8040005.JPG P8040006.JPG

7. kb cookout

kb cookout

HI; there are 3 different 28-29 grill shell,
    The real early ones the hood lacing slip thru slots at the back of the shell and is only riveted at the top and bottom, the other 2 styles, One has a oval hole up and down and the other has the oval going from side to side

plus some were nickel plated or painted on trucks

later kb