Register now to get rid of these ads!

Odd ball hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Looking good! You've been hard at work :)

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

I've been cleaning up some of the body metal mostly the front fenders. Hammer, grind, weld, over and over. So I decided to make some header flanges because there is not a lot out there for a nail head. I got them finished up, and then changed my mind on lake headers for this build, so an old set of sbc headers that were prime for cutting up and got new life as my new 401 buick headers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    dana barlow, kiwijeff, Kevs56 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ghost28

Ghost28

The roadster for the most part is completely torn down and in the body work stage. YUCK. The rear fenders weren't for this car, and I didn't like the way the wheel opening was surrounding the tire, The radius of the fender edge because of some modifications I had done to the fenders sat high at the rear of the car and made the rear axle look like it was knocked off center, so I put the fenders back to shape and cut the quarters to make the two fit together and get the radius around the tire. The first two pictures are the before shot, and I can live with the way it is now even though it was a minor change.

Attached Files:

ProEnfo, pat59, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  4. I was jonesin' for an update! Good luck with the bodywork...o_O

5. I can see why you made the change on the rear fenders. Extra work, but at this stage, the right thing to do and you wouldn't have been able to live with it for long if you hadn't tackled it now.

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

The roadster is stripped down completely, and the main body was stood on it's nose and the underside paint and undercoating is done. the body, doors, and deck lid, has been body worked, primed, and blocked down once out of how many times??? I was also able to get the slave cylinder mounting bracket built, and the exhaust installed, except where it will exit the car.
    Have a look

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Kevs56 and TFoch like this.
  7. Ghost28

Ghost28

DSCF2934.JPG DSCF2933.JPG DSCF2934.JPG DSCF2934.JPG Its been awhile since I posted anything about the buick. I finally got the body work finished and decided on a mid grey single stage paint with a heavy dose of metal flake. I was just gonna jam the car, but it looked good and I was on a roll so I shot the whole body in about 3 hrs last night. I got the fuel tank, battery surround mounted, and the block for the main power cables installed through the floor. I need a wiring harness and a few smaller items and then assemble it. Maybe I can still manage a shakedown ride this summer.

Attached Files:

8. Whoah ... nice !!

9. I dig the color! It's coming along nicely. :D

10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Sweet rod you have going, there!

11. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Keep it up. Lookin' nice.

12. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Hell yeah! Nice work John

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Been watching this one from the beginning !!! Work and now color is awesome. Very Inspirational........ Thanks for sharing this one with us................. Jeff

14. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

This should be good, looking forward to seeing more.

15. One of my favourite builds here, just got all caught up.
    Great work John, hope you get to take it out and play with it before Summers over. :):cool:

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

DSCF2965.JPG DSCF2964.JPG DSCF2963.JPG DSCF2962.JPG DSCF2958.JPG DSCF2960.JPG I finished up some of the small painting. The wishield frames, posts, and the door handles are a chrome silver a very slight diference from the body. Since I was just sitting around I used a gantry crane and some carefull bracketry, and was able to lift and mount the body on the chassis for the last time I hope. The fenders, running boards and splash aprons are gonna be a dark charcoal with the same metal flake, and the same brand paint. I hope it turns out like I visualize it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    hallrods, tb33anda3rd, bct and 6 others like this.
  17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

18. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

Wow, that is some great work! Thanks for sharing, it inspires me on my '24 Buick roadster.

19. Ghost28

Ghost28

DSCF2983.JPG DSCF2984.JPG DSCF2975.JPG I started making the interior boards including the kick panels. The boards area 1/8th inch thick plastic upholstery board that's smooth on one side and textured on the other, what I like about them is they are easy to shape for the tight corners with either a small propane torch, or a good heat gun, and stay in shape. I also made the bulk head between the trunk and passenger compartment using a 1/8th inch thick sheet of aluminum. This will also get a upholstery board over it, and they will all be covered later on with material. The clips I am using are a chrysler item and work well with a 1/4 inch hole.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A Buick (Nailhead) in that would hit the nail on the head (Ozzie term for cool) IMHO

21. I'm looking forward to the fenders, if I'm seeing in my head what you described, it should look great.
    Keep up the great work John, soon yourll be giving those new knees a workout, pushing those peddles. :D:cool:

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

100_2957.jpg
    The head of the nail has been hit.

23. Ghost28

Ghost28

DSCF2998.JPG DSCF2997.JPG DSCF2989.JPG DSCF2988.JPG DSCF3000.JPG I have been busy wiring the buick and it is now complete except the lighting front and rear. I was able to refurbish a old licence plated holder and light, not sure where it came from, but now it's buick. I have wired up the clutch pedal for a neutral safety switch, and the transmission for the backup lights if I so desire. I did find a couple of small interior lights for both kick panels, and the floor is lined with a eastwood heat a and noise barrier. fuel lines are ran and most of the brake lines have been completed except the front wheels. I did find a place for the porcelin buick emblem that used to be on the old tail light housing. Hell I might be able to drive it soon.

24. Nice, Very nice! :)

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

101_0033.JPG 101_0039.JPG Lack of funds right now, but I did put the seat back in the roadster in it's original upholstery material so now at least I can sit in it and go vroom vroom. I did find a trunk handle in my junk pile and made a latch for it. Little things, and busy work.
    I did change my avatar to represent the progress

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    hallrods, Kevs56, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  26. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Car looks fantastic! I love these old Buicks, great lines and character. The silver 'flake is a nice touch.

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some days sitting and going "Vroom Vroom" is all that keeps me going! LOL

28. indyjps

indyjps

Paint looks great, do you mind sharing what brand you're using?

Try Murphys oil soap and a soft bristle brush on that seat, I bet it'll clean up.

29. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks guys.
    The paint brand is called 5 star extreme. It's a single stage paint with the heavy dose of small metalic allready in it. Fairly inexpensive, about $140.00 for the paint gallon, hardener, and a gallon reducer. I bought the silver metalic, and the charcoal metalic and mixed them equally together to get it a little darker than the silver by itself.

30. Ghost28

Ghost28

It has brakes finally, so when I get it to go, it will whoa. It holds water after fixing a couple of bad gaskets, but now the weep or seep hole in the water pump has a drip and will need to be replaced. It's at the point of one step forward two steps back, but I can't complain the build for the most part has been good. At least now I can start it and let it run and get warm enough to get to operating temperature. If it had a drive shaft and the steering finished I could terrorize the neighborhood. Oh what fun it will be. I also got a contact that is gonna finish up the body work and paint on the fenders, boards and splash aprons I just supply materials, and in trade I am gonna wire up his 55 chevy truck with him buying the new wiring harness. Since I hate body work. This a good deal for me.
    John

loudbang, Animal, Binger and 3 others like this.