Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with my accel dual points setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Aug 2, 2015.

1. So this may be a really easy question for you guys,I've always ran HEI in my car and not I'm going to 3x2 so I got a accel duel point distributor due to its smaller size,my car had one wire to the hei, and that'd pretty much it.now my question is,in order to use this duel points unit,what do I need to do? External coil is needed of course,but do I need a resistor block? Standard coil will work? And how would I wire it? Thanks guys in advance

2. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

You can use a 12v coil that has internal ballast resistor, vw coils are cheap and everyone has them, then it's just a hot wire to coil, negative wire to distributor

Never had much luck with dual points myself but petronix makes a nice drop in

3. avmechanic

avmechanic

It is pretty simple. Just take that positive wire that went to the HEI and run it to the positive side of your external coil but through a resistor to reduce the voltage and let the points last. Then run the distributor wire to the negative side and you have it done. Just need to set your timing and possibly your point dwell. Might want to consider an electronic ignition conversion for the distributor then depending on which conversion kit you add you can leave the full 12 volts to the coil. Good luck with it.
    Greg

4. Yeah I'd like to convert it to electronic but I called accel and they wasn't helpful at all and told me'we don't stock any parts for our own stuff' and 'that distributor is 30 years old' yeah well its never used in the box so I want to use it! Plus I've got a show Saturday I've got to get the car to.

So I can run a vw coil and no resister?

5. My distributor has a black and a red wire that are joined at the end,not sure what to do with that

6. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Pop the cap most likely just the 2 wires going to each set of points, if so they go to negative side of coil

7. avmechanic

avmechanic

I would imagine one wire goes to each set of points. Hopefully being new the dwell will be set up right on as is and you will just have to set the timing. Check the pertronix catalog, they should have the conversion kit you need to make it electronic. Nice to have the old school distributor look with the modern day trouble free electronics.
    Greg

8. Yeah I should of thought of that...duh,I feel stupid now. So what coils have an internal resister?

9. Johnschevford

Johnschevford

VW coil like the previous poster suggested.
    I did a quick goggle search and a lot of different
    brands showed up.

I just got rid of my old school points and converted
    to electronic.

Good Luck

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Keep a spare distributor in the trunk. Unless they've improved the quality dramatically, that brand has a poor service record.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. If you don't find an internally resisted coil just buy a points coil for about anything and get a resistor block for a Chrysler or ford or GM. Mist places stock them. Run your hot to one side of the block and then run a wire from the block to the plus side of the coil and the negative side of the coil goes to the points (the wires coming out of the distributer.)

The distributer probably says on the side what your point gap is. But if it doesn't you can set them well enough for now with a matchbook cover.

12. 302gmc,yeah you are right,I've noticed that after a phone call to them.

Porknbeaner, thanks for the advice.I barely even got the distributor in! My engine is pushwed back a bit and raised up a bit,plus the channel didn't help.I sqeezed it in with not a hair to spare.I'll be hooking it up in a day or 2,hope it all works well.its my first time with 3x2 and points

13. We (PerTronix) do make a conversion for that distributor to electronic. And with over 3.5 MILLION of them sold over the years, our reputation stands on it's own, with a very high repeat customer rating.

14. noboD

noboD

Amen, check it on a distributor machine. Mine was off by as much as 3 degrees per cylinder. POS.

15. I don't know anyone that has one ofmtose machines.

Hotroddon,can I get more info?