Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where can I find the staples for ruber seals for fender skirts ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 48coupe, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Where do I find the staples for attaching the rubber seal to the fender skirt ?? A lot of part venders sell the rubber seal kit but NO staples. :confused: AND they have no idea where to find the staples needed !!! A small but big problem. :(

2. CadMad

CadMad

i use 1.2 mm stainless tig wire and bend it with my vice grips .

3. Send me a PM to help me remember. I may have what you need. Back a few years I worked in the local GM plant. I put fender skirts on the bodies when they went thru the trim shop. We had a machine that stapled the rubber on. It made the staple from a roll of wire and punched holes all in one operation. Just thought you might want to know that.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I think corvette suppliers might sell that. I remember that I have a bag of SS staples somewhere

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Just thinking out loud, because I don't know. Would the staples that come with cat whisker kit be the same?

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

7. I received the staples with all the rubber I got for the '54 wagon but I decided to use stainless steel pop rivets,,so much easier. HRP

8. Thanks all, if my car was a stock restoration I would use the ss wire but, BUT it is not, so I like the idea of ss pop rivots. And when they're on no one sees them. :)
    Oh, my car is a '51 Chevy Sport Coupe. :cool: I was able to buy it back from a great guy in
    Mich. that I had sold it to 3 yrs. ago. :D Steve built the car and it's scary, :eek: but I like//agree with every item//change he did on the car. We are on the same page !! I'm
    an ol fart (70 now) and Steve is just a pup @ 38. I swear I will not sell it again. :)
    Just happened a wk from my birthday so :rolleyes: To: me From: me.
    Shaw, just had me a thought, maybe I should sell another car to Steve.......................... just a thought. :rolleyes:

9. On the tri 5's I use small Phillips head screws. Use a clamp to hold the fuzzy strip then drill a hole. Install a small screw and it is hidden in the fuzzy for the most part.

10. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I also use pop rivets, I just thought the op wanted to use staples so he could waste a lot of time and dirty words. :D

11. You hit the nail on the head 56premiere, it would be a lot of wasted time trying to get that little staple through the rubber and then hit both little holes in the skirt. :mad: OH, and the blood that would come out of my finger and then the language that would come out of the shop !! :(
    I decided days ago to use ss pop rivets, a simple, safe, alternative way to fix skirt seals. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  12. I didn't like ss rivets because try drilling them out if you need to. use aliminium with aluminum arbor. For what it's holding ss are over kill

13. My mistake tedley, you're right, I meant to say aluminum.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I used baling wire. Good old steel baling wire. Closest thing to original, that I could find, laying around my shop.

I did have to open up the holes a little with a small drill.