Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead manifold recomendation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hb32, Aug 2, 2015.

1. In the process of having a 39-41 Merc flattie overhauled for a 32 pickup. Specs as follows;
    Cylinders have been opened to 3 5/16 with 3 rings pistons, 4 inch crank, Edmunds custom heads, Isky 77B cam, new valves, bearings etc. My plan is for a dual intake as well as Stromberg 97`s.
    Thoughts on a intake manifold?

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am sure there are HAMBER's who can offer info. but drive over to Fordbarn
    for even more flatty info.

3. Edelbrock has several, regular and super dual. You might want to consider a 4 bbl with a holley 390 cfm. Works great on my 239" and gets decent mileage if my foot stays out of it.

4. 2x2's with the carbs set over the ports will perform the best. I never liked the look of a 4 barrel on a flathead, too modern looking.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The are two styles of dual intakes, regular and super, and much depends on which one you like, and/or where you want the generator to be placed, stock or offset. Brand wise, Navarro and Edelbrock are the best imo, but there are many other very good ones also.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. Thanks for the recommendations. I want to run the duals with the generator in the stock position. Also would like an original crusty on the top version to stay in tune with the rest of my pickup.
    Keep them coming....

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I use the hexagon tool 2x2 intake..The carbs are reversed which puts them centered over the ports and you can run the stock..These intakes are no longer made but come up for sale from time to time..another intake everyone likes is the Thickstun high rise 2X2.

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I like all the tall 2x2 s for looks and performance and generator clearance to run a fan off the gen pulley , best bang for your dollar is probably a new edelbrock slingshot , you can find them for around 400 on the net sometimes cheaper if your really lucky otherwise try finding used... You might get lucky ..

offy makes a close 2x2 low rise for about 250.00 that allows use of generator also

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. patterg2003

patterg2003

10. There's a FENTON in the parts for sale classified for 250, appears to be in nice condition. I have the same manifold and like it a lot. You could pay a lot more of course, just sayin...

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'd go for Edelbrock Super dual, used, with heat. Current new ones lack a generator bracket, which will make putting together a fan arrangement challenging, and lack heat crossover, which is crazy...it's easy to block the heat if you care to, but a bit difficult to add it! IMHO they reproduced the least usable version of a classic manifold. Usable only on '40-41 Fords that never go north of San Diego!
    Just keep your eyes on the HAMB classifieds, this was probably the most popular manifold of all time and they are not really rare. Old Offy super duals are nice too.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you want to retain the stock generator position, slingshot is probably the best choice, Super dual requires moving the generator.
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. Thanks George...you got one of them squirled away ??

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Edmunds heads.....Edmunds intake.

cadillacoffin likes this.
  15. deucemac

deucemac

I've built many many flatheads over the years and my choicewould be an Edelbrock 4bbl and aFord 4100 carb. For visual impact nothing beats a 3 or 4 two intake. A 2x2 works well. But, forease of operation and every day drivability a single 4bbl either Holley or Ford with an electri choke. Visually, for traditionalists, itreally is "too modern" but it just works the best in my opinion. Bottom line is, it's yours so do whatever blows your skirt up because nobody else is paying the bills!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

the amount of crap I have here, I should by now...But, no, I don't. :eek::(:p But I DO have a 59A hidden away at a secret location...;):rolleyes: I do want me some of those Canadian heads though...

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And I can tell you guys right now, if you honestly believe there ANY chance HB32 is going to put a holley 4bbl on that thing, well, you just don't know HB32...;)

18. Whats is this 4 bbl you speak of ??

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

you know, its that thing sitting in my garage on that FE intake, the one with the ungodly big holes in it...:p

20. Ended up finding a nice block letter Edelbrock regular.
    Now looking for matching block letter heads.
    97`s were a purchase off the Ford Barn.

[​IMG]

21. flathead4d

flathead4d

I think you should go with a little stronger cam than the Isky 77-B with your set up.

22. Should have updated and have a L100 in its place. Also, ended up not using the 39-42 motor and now have a C69A in the works.

23. 5w30

5w30
    from oregon

This is not a block letter but still looks cool and hoping the engine will run fine using this intake.

Attached Files:

24. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The choices are quite limited when trying to find an aftermarket flathead intake that will allow the generator to be mounted in the stock position. The Edelbrock Regular is an excellent choice and in my opinion the Regular works just as well if not better than the Edelbrock Slingshot. Getting a pair of block letter heads to match the intake is definitely the way to go.

25. haychrishay

haychrishay

I just bought this set up from Charlie Price at Vintage Speed in Vero Beach FL. He is very knowlegeable . Sound s to me like you could get by with three 2's. My motor is only .80 over with a 3 3/4 stroke, stock cam. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448335487.373353.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mine's .040 over, nice relieved block, low miles...No ridge!
    Sadly, "Mr. Smart Guy" sold his last 4 Merc cranks, :eek: then Uncle Larry dropped off this nice flattie (all apart, more work I don't have to do!)
    I'm going with the Offie close-spaced 2 jugger, as I have a nice new converted generator (12 volt now, '56 Ford armature)
    I had Offie equip't on more than a few, wasn't Navarro, but always performed. Porting and relieving, the right cam, good compression, and IGNITION!
    I was gonna do this with my eyes shut, but everything is more complicated now...Crap! I used to know everything...:D