Register now to get rid of these ads!

Talking about shop equipment etc. on the HAMB vs Garagejournal

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by squirrel, Jul 31, 2015.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Seems any time there's a good discussion about shops or shop equipment on the HAMB, it gets shut down with the request to take it to garagejournal.

I understand...but then again, seems to me that the guys who build stuff are on the hamb talking about how to build stuff. The guys on garagejournal are into garages or something? I don't know, I never go there, since I have little interest in garages, other than as a surrounding for doing the stuff I'm actually interested in. But when we're talking about doing stuff with cars, then I get interested in garages.

I don't know if this is a question or what, maybe just an observation. The guys who have the good answers might be over on the forum where the work is getting done?

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've closed two in the last two weeks - one about work benches and one about welders. There literally is no better place in the world to learn about each than garagejournal.com.

I mean, just as an example look at this shit:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've never been to GarageJournal, are there HAMB people over there or just a bunch of super clean showplace garage people? Maybe I've got an opinion before I stop by, I'll wander over later tonight. Bob

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Both. Lots of talent too...

5. Links don't work. HRP

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Plenty of HAMBers and many others.

I can vouch for that. Many on the GJ do not frequent the HAMB.

They do for me.

7. I had to log in to visit the GJ,I've been a member since 2006 but I rarely visit. HRP

8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Danny you have missed a lot in that time.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess you have to sign up to Garage Journal for the photos to show, correct? Do HAMB members use their HAMB ID there or use another? Bob

10. That's what I did Bob. HRP

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, Guess I'll see what is all about. My garage really looks like a set from "American Pickers" not the polished marble floored, every tool in its place, showplace. Bob

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. You and me both Bob,a lot of the shops shown over on the GJ look like show places,,I work in my shop so it's usually dirty,tools strewn around and a general mess.

I'm not knocking anyone over there and can appreciate a well lit and almost fanatical operating room cleanliness,but man the only way my shop will ever be that clean is when someone else buys me out! :D

I painted the walls and it look nice when I built it but grease,dirt and paint is on the walls and floor. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I blew $140.00 on lights today, hope my Son in Law can wire them tomorrow. Seeing the mess is the first step in turning the place into a work area. Bob

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, I'm on Garage Journal now, got a new password, turns out I joined 4/4/06 and have never posted. Think it will take some time to understand what is there. Bob

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Most that use both forums try to use the same name.

Would be many like you.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My shop is an actual working/professional hot rod garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I grew up in Formula 1 shops, so even mine seems gritty to me... Keith is like me - he cleans while he works. Idea being, this is a professional environment... It only seems gritty to me because we don't have the budget for a full on white environment.

That being said, there are all kinds of shops on garagejournal.com - showroom shops and greasy work environments... I love them both.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll be on the outside looking in, nothing warm and friendly on that site like the HAMB. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Not true, you will find many members that will make you welcome.

19. It's a good site,it's just different. HRP

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree, just looked around and will try to see were I fit in. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. I don't think they keep it clean enough. There are some stupid threads on their like how I lost 60 pounds in 30 days what in the world does that have to with a garage. Or arguing with your wife, their was one what did you eat today.

1956 F100 likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you don't like that shit (I don't either), stay away from the "Free Parking" forum.

23. 10-4 boss

24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I am sure you will fit in.

Mods have wanted to clean up fo some time.

You say the word Ryan as I have said before and many of those weird topics will be removed.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't think I have to tell anyone I like the HAMB a lot, everything automotive that I'm interested in is here, cars and the people. Is there a "Mission Statement" on the Garage Journal, just what am I looking for over there? Does a HAMB thread that gets killed get restarted over on the Garage? Bob

26. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Different members on the GJ to the HAMB although some like myself follow both forums.

27. lump

lump

I am a member on both, although I spend more time on GJ. I fit in both, I think/hope, but my garage is NOT neat and clean. When I want to talk about hot rod stuff, HAMB is where I usually go. But my garage does a lot more than just hot rod stuff, including pure-restored antique car stuff, muscle car stuff, boat stuff, lawn equipment stuff, and lots of work on tools and garage equipment. We all know that muscle car stuff, and a lot of those other things are not what HAMB is all about, so I put such things on GJ. One site is not "better" than the other site...but some subjects are better suited for one site instead of the other. Why not use both?

28. Just a question,I am a alliance member here but not on the garage journal what gives? HRP

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You can have an alliance membership on one or the other forum and still access the discounts on both forums. Ryan will correct me if I am wrong.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm going to poke around on the Garage tonight if the HAMB topics don't improve. Bob