Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Standard Tudor build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Jul 30, 2015.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, right? theHighlander is gonna do a build thread, or at least I'm gonna give it one helluva try. I think I shagged a good car to do such a gig, a 39 Ford Standard Tudor. I used to think these were just butt ugly, but a dozen or more years ago I walked up on one that just looked really good. Plain, black, nice stance, and that front end looked back at me and almost winked. I really warmed up to the 38 Deluxe/39 Standard look. While I really am a coupe guy at heart, there's not much better in the way of an early V-8 Tudor than these is there? Mine goes something like this:

Perhaps some of the nicest original sheet metal and paint I've ever owned. It's already on a dropped axle and has a nice stance to it.
    IMG_20150729_193629096.jpg Ok, maybe the stance is actually closer to wicked. The tires are 7.00 in the rear and 5.50 in front, both 16". The 5.50s seem a bit small to me. It's a big car and could use a little more front tire, and I think it would handle better too yes?
    IMG_20150729_193833056.jpg That's right guys n gals, that's genuine Henry Ford black on the car. The finish will be very sympathetically repaired and preserved. The temptation to refinish it is there, I mean it really is given the condition of the metal and all the panel fit. But I won't do it. I think the challenge will be greater to make it look fresh and kept up vs all new. I can still get black lacquer so I'll blend it out and keep it original. Can't let the few surface rusted areas to continue to spread. It deserves better.
    IMG_20150730_160841763_HDR.jpg I'm told these are "wide-5" commercial wheels. I think they're wider than the spider or artillery style. Whatever they are I like em, and that 7.00 tire fills that back wheel opening completely.
    IMG_20150730_192114056.jpg Yes, they are wide-5s and that rim depth is nice.
    IMG_20150730_192041123.jpg Last but not least, a fresh 59AB heart transplant. I wrestled with the idea of going back to 6V and running all stock wires and such. I really think I want 12V on this one. I can run a phone charger and some nice hidden sounds with a simple 12V system. The rest of the engine will remain stock and in the best possible state of tune for now. It should be more than adequate to shakedown the rest of the car for a few thousand miles. In the future it might get some mild speed parts but this should be fine til then.
    IMG_20150729_193743636.jpg
    So at the end of it all we should see a new interior, the paint repaired, new fresh woodgrain on the dash and moldings and a new fresh 12V electrical system. I'll reveal colors and designs as they get done, although some details may have wait until a live debut to protect the innocent. That debut is targeted for the 2016 Detroit Autorama Extreme (the basement) with my fellow hoodlums near the "speed shop". Wish me luck on this build thread, I really want to do it...(!)

2. Purdy! Let the games begin. I'll follow along.

OzMerc39 likes this.
  3. Oh man what a score! I love you're plans for it as well nothing beats black lacquer.

4. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

How can someone not like the look of that!?! *jealous*

5. Cool, love the old ford black paint.
    Al.

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Oh yea baby....hot damn!

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool sedan.. Sits good...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Well I like 'em........................You have a great start, as you well know. Keep us informed.

9. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Wow. Cool car. Great score look forward to seeing it

10. I'm subscribed,what's not to like about a sweet sedan? HRP

40fordtudor likes this.
  11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I had a car similar to this back in the early 60's---I have spent the last several minutes trying to remember what I did with it. I do remember it had an alligator painted on the trunk---the gator was holding a stop sign. Maybe that rubbed out my memory of the car. It ran and rode good, tho. EDIT: 10/31 and I still don't know what I did with that car.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    scotty t likes this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking forward to having your help on the build :cool: I think there's a few of "us" that could have a build party on this thing a couple times before 'Rama. Always better to share this stuff with friends, yes? And I'm doing the build thread on the Singlefinger site too.

captain scarlet likes this.
  13. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Awesome looking car! Congrats.

14. Looks good to drive just the way it is. I had started a project 38 deluxe a long time ago with a car out of the Cadillac area. Lots of rust repair to do, but mostly floor and rear pan. It had been upgraded to the hydraulic brakes your car already has. Traded that car off before it got even close to being on the road. Good luck with yours.

15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Nice piece to start with!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Johnschevford

Johnschevford

Love my fat fendered girl.
    Good luck on your progress!

17. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Highlander
    One of the very best things that can be done to a 39, is to add a 40 Deluxe front sway bar. To do so requires the bar and mounts and new perch bolts. It makes a huge difference in the handling of the car.
    Forgot to add. The front install merely requires one rivet on each side removed, then a bolt replaces. All Ford parts
    For the rear, Bob Drake makes a rear bar that I'm told is a bolt in deal. I haven't really looked into getting one yet, but lots of good feedback on the Fordbarn

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I address each phase of this gig I'll detail the plan and what I used to get it done. Sway and panhard bars are on the list. I want as long a panhard bar as I can get out back and a larger than stock sway (anti-roll) bar up front. The rear tires are pretty big in there and I want to keep the axle laterally centered so they don't get tempted to rub the fenders.

I also dug up a new pair of 6.00 16 front tires out of my stash. They're mounted on wide-5 wheels already but they're the usual spoked or artillery style. At least I can bolt em up and check for fit before a breakdown and swap. Gonna try and shag a couple hours out of the day tomorrow and play around with it. And yes I'll take pics...

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

38-40 fords are perhaps the most beautiful twodoors on earth, congrats on your score and THANK YOU for keeping her all ford and flatty powered!

Stogy likes this.
  20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I am watching also, love those sedans.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Wow...love those cars and that one looks great

Stogy likes this.
  22. The wheels you have on the rear came on '39-'47 3/4 ton trucks. Surprised you found them, dirt track racers used a lot of them back in the day. '36-'39 1/2 ton pickups used the same spoked artillery wheels as '36-'39 cars. The narrow 3.5" wide fives that used a 5.50x16 tire came on 60 HP cars.

Stogy and patmanta like this.
  23. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Love the 39 standard looks like a real nice car. I have 4 original rechromed bumper guards if you need them. Also have the little stainless emblem that snaps in the grill for the small v/8.
    This was a Michigan car I bought well over twenty years ago. Ron

[​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

That car already looks amazing. Can't wait to see it looking even better. I like your plans for it. I agree it could use a bit more rubber in front, if you find you have enough clearance for the 6.00s I would go for it.

One of the overlooked body styles for sure that has it's own certain beauty that can no longer be ignored or shunned.

Stogy likes this.
  25. HIGHLANDER, did you find that on Craigslist? I think I looked at that......

Stogy likes this.
  26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

fiddysix, I found it here and it was a local member.

Ok, I put the 6.00s on there and they're too big for the stance it's on right now. I raised it up a bit until the tire would clear then raised it a bit more for bump clearance when turning. It's not a hateful look but it becomes too close to level that way. This means the rear has to go up too in order to maintain a bit of rake which is really a good look for it. The tire difference is quite noticeable. I haven't completely decided what to do yet.

The difference in the 2 side by side:
    tires_1.jpg
    Fills the wheel opening nearly like the rears, lots of tire in there:
    tires_2.jpg
    Lifted to this stance we get tire clearance but lose the rake. I like the rake on this era Ford. It really makes the car, yes?
    tires_3.jpg
    Close up of the 5.50 in the hole. Just seems a bit small for such a big car. On an earlier roadster it's a good combination, 7.00 and 5.50. I guess if I raise the whole car equally it won't look bad, we keep the rake, raise the scrub line (not a bad thing) and have something better suited to MI roads. Again, I'm still undecided but I'm leaning (no pun intended) toward bigger tire and raise overall. Whatcha think?
    tires_4.jpg

27. Martino

Martino

Looks cool now !! Gonna even look cooler !!

28. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

How much is up a bit? Would look more early period with about 1" up with bigger tires

Stogy likes this.
  29. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

Looking at my avatar, it's obvious I'm prejudiced towards this body style. Wish mine was a standard, though. I fell in love with them 25 years ago when I had a 38.

Stogy likes this.
  30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I raised it not quite 2". Just got out from under it and it has to go up regardless of tire size. At this stance the 'bones will hit the frame. The shackles are a bit long and that's ok. One area that's easy to get a needed increase in ride hgt, the rear is the same thing. Long shackle and an easy lift. Getting direction on it fairly quick. Already had new tires in the right size so those can go on the kool wide 5s. Gotta score a 32" drag link and all the parts will be in and done. Stay tuned...

captain scarlet likes this.