Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Chevy on stands in Tight Garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Jul 29, 2015.

1. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

It's wider than the garage I'm in now but that's such an efficient use of space!

2. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks, I could use a floorjack if I rolled the car back to the door and all that crap from my roommate was clear. I just found out she's gone until Saturday night.. I just might put some of that crap in her room or my room for a day and not tell her.

3. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Its an apartment complex unfortunately and the driveway leading into that garage is super steep 1 ft past the door. I

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Hell yeah, get her crap out of there and get to work! Get one of those smaller 1 1/2 ton floor jacks with the removable handle, they're like $30. They are small enough to use in tight spaces, but still strong enough to get the job done.

5. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks that seems like a great idea.

6. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks and I know you're right. I'm going to try a few things and if it is still too tight or unsafe I'll have a shop take care of it.

7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Probably all of us older guys have done this , I know I have. I never had a floor jack til I was 40. Everyone here is trying to keep you safe. If you are going to do it , get some wood blocks and crib under the frame til it is above your crush zone. Do Not use cinder blocks! Another safety thing I have never had is a cell phone , in your pocket , not on a shelf. Good luck. Jack

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  8. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks for the advice. I will try moving a few things, rolling it back a little and a small 1 1/2 ton jack as suggested before and will not get underneath until it is on jackstands.

9. almost a good place for car ramps. drive up on them so it leaves just enough room in the back to close the door, jack up the back and put it on stands. when you need to remove a front tire it should be high enough to jack each side and swop the ramp for a stand.
    sucks working like that........

53CHKustom likes this.
  10. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Alright so roommate is gone. I rolled the car back to just where the garage sensor beam is still making a connection. I took my full size heavy duty jack that I've always used and took a bolt off and the lever arm reduced in half now but should still work fine. I cleared just a few of her things and made a narrow path along the wall where I can actuate the lever arm and I should be able to get it on my jackstands as I've always done.

I bought a 2 ton jack which is tiny but unfortunately it has maximum 13" lift range. I have jackstands that are 15" high and 13" high and where I lift from on the Mustang II frame is a little higher than the frame.

Hoping my full size jack will get it done. Looks promising and I'll be doing this tomorrow morning. Would be so much easier and totally doable in that garage were it not for all my roommate's crap. Owell, at least I know I can look for my own 1 bed apartment with a 1 car garage when summer is over and there are more opening up. I'm pretty sure a 1 car garage should work for my needs if I'm quiet about it.

11. clem

clem

That is a tight fit..........on the positive side, at least you can 'almost' open the doors !

12. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Love your car looks killer good luck, But now its time to join the alliance poney up

13. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks I will do that!

14. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was able to jack the front with my full size jack and actually leave everything in place that belonged to my roommate minus a narrow path that wasn't needed.

I haven't tried jacking the rear but will do that another day. I was able to get to work on the brakes without needing to put the rear up.