Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ignition system Ford 302.. what you running.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

im looking to ditch the big ol HEI dizzy in my f100 with a 302.. its been a great distributor.. but, im absolutely tired of looking at it.

I want to make a move to something smaller and more ford looking.. but I don't want to lose any performance . . . rather I'd like to gain or stay the same.

im looking at all the "ready to run" distributors... summit, msd, pertronix.. so on.
    there is no clear cut winner as far as I can see.

Im pretty strongly considering the pertronix ignitor 3 distributor.

also have seen a lot of guys recommending a ebay company making "pro ready to run " distributors. look a bit different.. this is just one of the kits ive seen .. but there are several selling them.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block...-V8-/391004714278?hash=item5b09b27526&vxp=mtr

I've also seen a lot of guys talking about performance distributors ford duraspark setups.

im open to one of the systems out there like msd .. but man they are pricey.. I saw msd had a street fire for under 200 bucks.. but is it worth it. ? ? . . this is one reason I considered the pertronix 3 as it is said to have ignition box performance with out the box.

So, save all you guys with points and same hei .. what distibutor/ ignition systems are you using on your ford?

( im about to be making big changes to it.. an over drive trans.. either t5 or aod, switching to a Quick Fuel 580 carb, this distributor change, and a rear gear change.. Im hoping all this will wake up my mild- moderate built 302 and get that truck moving better.)
    Thanks. appreciate any info.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. I've got a Pertronics conversion in the old points distributor in my avatar, that looks 'right' and has been trouble-free (so far). I've also used the mid-70s Duraspark unit with a MSD box, that opens up more options. The Duraspark has that 'big' cap, but remove the adaptor and you can use the 'traditional' '57-73 small cap/rotor. About $300 will get you the distributor and box, mine was bulletproof. One problem with all those 'billet' and 'racing' distributors (besides the cost) is the limited availability of replacement parts. You can get a Duraspark just about anywhere....

3. In my Fords I run a Mallory dual point dizzy converted to Pertronixs

4. fordor41

fordor41

Why not just change to the small ford cap, rotor and plug wires and leave everything else alone? Smaller cap uses different style plug wire ends on the cap. I'm using the large cap, adapter and wires on a point distributor with Pertronix so it should work in reverse

5. 61falcon

61falcon

I have a Mallory unilight in my Falcon. Its been there at least 15 years. Three wires and its ready to go.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HEI is about the hottest spark you are going to get.

7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I run a Mallory Ford HEI with a MSD "limiter" Module fitted in it

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

old point dizzy with MSD 6A box.

9. I replaced the original distributor in the Ranch Wagon with a Pertronics distributor and I have never had a problem with it. HRP

[​IMG]

Dave Mc likes this.
  10. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hrp.. Another reas9n I want to move away from hei.. Air cleaner choice.. Nice looking setup!

11. stimpy

stimpy

small cap ( pre 77) a ford duraspark distributor . they work great . just make sure you get a brass conductor cap and have good wires . the duraspark system is a excellent system and actually one of the best things that Ford developed .

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Boy HRP, that is one good looking engine.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Converted my yblock dist. to a Duraspark sys. I could see results on the first start up. All parts were available at the junkyard including the wiring looms. Except for the module on the inner fender it looks stock. Get a lot of head scratching at shows.

14. Thank you,I appreciate it. HRP

15. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have 2 Summit stand alone electronic distributors, using their coil. the coils I used are the flat ones but you can use a round if you prefer. I am also running summits spark box but with the standalone you don't have to. I have used the Ford Duraspark and you can pull the plate and go in the bottom of the distributor and put in a better advance. Illustrations on the internet just Google. The Summits have worked great for me .Thousands of miles and just a touch of the starter and they are running. Had a little trouble with the Durasprk cap .